Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never sign those electronic quotes from Tesla. When they finish with your car, they'll give you a real invoice and it wouldn't have any amounts. I recently had this happen when the wiper blade arm snapped on our X. The car is still under warranty and they sent me a "pre repair" invoice of like $175. I ignored it. Mobile service came, repaired it, put on new blades, and only charged me for the blades.

I had HW3 installed yesterday (I think?). I took the car in for HW3 after making an appointment. Got a text message a little later saying they didn't have a computer available. Got another text message after that saying that they could install HW3 after all. Picked the car up this morning and from what I can tell, nothing has changed. They installed 2020.16.2.1, but as far as I can tell the car doesn't recognize traffic lights or stop signs. I didn't need to drive a while before NoA or regular autopilot calibrated and become available; it was available immediately. Music and radio stations, homeland, phones, etc nothing changed. The invoice says they installed it, fixed something with the BMS boot loader??? and changed/repaired some pins in the charge port. How can I verify that I have HW3 actually installed?

I had HW3 installed yesterday (I think?). I took the car in for HW3 after making an appointment. Got a text message a little later saying they didn't have a computer available. Got another text message after that saying that they could install HW3 after all. Picked the car up this morning and from what I can tell, nothing has changed. They installed 2020.16.2.1, but as far as I can tell the car doesn't recognize traffic lights or stop signs. I didn't need to drive a while before NoA or regular autopilot calibrated and become available; it was available immediately. Music and radio stations, homeland, phones, etc nothing changed. The invoice says they installed it, fixed something with the BMS boot loader??? and changed/repaired some pins in the charge port. How can I verify that I have HW3 actually installed?

Easiest way is access the menus on the screen (press the tesla car on the bottom left of the screen), select SOFTWARE then find the link under the picture of the car that says "ADDITIONAL INFORMATION" (or something very close to that. In that screen, look for the words " full self driving computer".

you also have to turn on the additional visualizations under the Autopilot menu.

Thanks everyone. Tesla removed the service fee. Probably a glitch in their system.
It probably wasn't the HW3. When you complain about "glitches" or other issues they've started sending out "hey, if we don't find anything warranty worthy of this inspection we'll bill you this much". I complained about it to them but I didn't realize until @focher posted that you could just ignore the request to sign and they'll show up anyway.

Thanks JJ - I checked it out and I do have the new computer. I was pretty sure I did, but I thought I read somewhere that the autopilot needs to re-initialize/calibrate for about 30 minutes after the new computer is installed. Either that's not true or my service center drove the car long enough for the re-calibration to occur. I also enabled the additional visualizations and am currently downloading updated navigation maps.

"Easiest way is access the menus on the screen (press the tesla car on the bottom left of the screen), select SOFTWARE then find the link under the picture of the car that says "ADDITIONAL INFORMATION" (or something very close to that. In that screen, look for the words " full self driving computer".

you also have to turn on the additional visualizations under the Autopilot menu."

Rumor on Reddit was that HW3 was rolling out to FSD purchasers. I was notified today...

Screenshot_20200609-170444.png

So my twice weekly e-mail's from Tesla about the HW3 part being "pending" abruptly stopped on 9-30. I just noticed this a couple days ago. No e-mail or app notification that the part was actually in stock and ready for my upgrade. I tried calling Tesla but its not possible to get them on the phone. I sent an email to the Burbank store and received no reply. I went ahead and proactively scheduled a service appointment for the HW3 upgrade on 10-23. Much to my surprise they confirmed the service appointment. This happened before, back in June, and they cancelled it at the last minute, so we will see how this works out.

Just FYI for those that may be experiencing the same runaround.

RT