Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW4 auto wipers seem drastically improved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They have changed with HW4 a light sensor on the windscreen. They've added two new square elements there. It is not actually the typical rain sensor design (based on the total internal reflection phenomenon) from other vehicles. But maybe they have work it out differently... first picture from TMX with HW4, second TMX with previous HW and cameras

Attachments

• 20230427_102250.jpg
    20230427_102250.jpg
    656.2 KB · Views: 187
  • 20230427_102426.jpg
    20230427_102426.jpg
    568.2 KB · Views: 128
Reactions: fasteddie7
They have changed with HW4 a light sensor on the windscreen. They've added two new square elements there. It is not actually the typical rain sensor design (based on the total internal reflection phenomenon) from other vehicles. But maybe they have work it out differently... first picture from TMX with HW4, second TMX with previous HW and cameras
My guess based on nothing, is that there’s no difference between HW4 and 3 for rain sensing. Vs 2.5 I’ve no idea. My 2022 S is fine in the rain.

I have the opposite experience, the Auto wiper mode barely works for me. Had to put it on manually speed after pressing the wipe button 10x to clear the windshield. Had no problem in HW3 Model S.
I find it is odd, it doesn't want to start, but once it does it seems to work fine in auto (hw4). So I just keep ending up hitting the button a bunch of times until it finally decides to take over. Then it seems to work fairly well.

I have the opposite experience, the Auto wiper mode barely works for me. Had to put it on manually speed after pressing the wipe button 10x to clear the windshield. Had no problem in HW3 Model S.
Same for me, from I got my MS with HW4 this summer.
Was just as bad as my ’21 M3P.

If not heavy rain, the wipers did not run at all. From my maybe 2000km in rain (s****y summer) 97% of the wiping has been me pushing the button or using the set speed :(

‘twas so bad I was not happy and made a youtube vid’
No wiping

That video wasnt more than ready until the wipers started actually wiping mostly when they should. The strange thing is that when they started to work about as they should it wasn’t after an update.
It happened between 26.8 and 26.9.

Might have been some kind of coincidence, but as the s****y summer went to a s****y fall/autumn the car have really gotten the chance to show the non wiping wiper style.

Fingers crossed.

Thank you! Yes, my model 3 never had an issue in past years, but today was the first day my S saw rain.
Tesla removed the rain sensor, years back.
Plan was to use the cameras instead, and main purpose to save costs.

The issue is that the camera with the lens focus far away om the road, so it can not see rain that well.

This ends up with Tesla trying to fix a appearently unfixable problem with code.

S****y decision.

Then they do not use a real light sensor for high/low beam either. Do not work as good as it should.

They removed the radar, so the AP had to use the cameras - bad decision doesnt work well. Way to short distance to the cars ahead and very varying distance also.
Clearly dangerous to deive 1s behind.

Then they removed the USS sensors, so park assist do not work and can not be used to what you really need it to. Constantly warns you to stop way to early and screams stop when it still is 1 m or so of space left. Or doesnt warn you until you run into something.

All bad decisions to save money but sacrifises the functions we need.
For my three years with Tesla, important things and functions get way worse. Then they add a new farth to the sand box to try to make us forget the issues.

Tesla removed the rain sensor, years back.
Plan was to use the cameras instead, and main purpose to save costs.

The issue is that the camera with the lens focus far away om the road, so it can not see rain that well.

This ends up with Tesla trying to fix a appearently unfixable problem with code.

S****y decision.

Then they do not use a real light sensor for high/low beam either. Do not work as good as it should.

They removed the radar, so the AP had to use the cameras - bad decision doesnt work well. Way to short distance to the cars ahead and very varying distance also.
Clearly dangerous to deive 1s behind.

Then they removed the USS sensors, so park assist do not work and can not be used to what you really need it to. Constantly warns you to stop way to early and screams stop when it still is 1 m or so of space left. Or doesnt warn you until you run into something.

All bad decisions to save money but sacrifises the functions we need.
For my three years with Tesla, important things and functions get way worse. Then they add a new farth to the sand box to try to make us forget the issues.
It really is sad how screwed up some of their decisions are. It absolutely influences what my next car purchase will be.

And the reason for that is explained in the EM’s book (biography):

Page 281: “Going forward, anyone who puts a sensor (or anything) on the engine that isn’t obviously critical will be asked to leave.”

ANY sensors are very unpopular at both SpaceX and Tesla. No one wants to loose their job.

Same here. My HW4 Model S auto wipers will sometimes work as expected, sometimes come on when they don’t need to, and sometimes won’t come on even in heavy rain. I’m finding that I have to use one of the manual settings much of the time. My previous 2018 S didn’t have that problem. I’m on 2023.32.4.

I have constantly complained about auto rain sensing not working as it is dangerous if that is your setting. After another bout of rain I again complained to Tesla service and the same mobile service tech will arrive tomorrow. Anxious to see if his story changes as software updates do nothing.

Reactions: teko and AAKEE
I have constantly complained about auto rain sensing not working as it is dangerous if that is your setting. After another bout of rain I again complained to Tesla service and the same mobile service tech will arrive tomorrow. Anxious to see if his story changes as software updates do nothing.
As they are stuck behind a bad decision to remove the working rain sensor they can not do much, really.

Also, being a stubborn company after making bad decisions doesnt help either. I guess *someone* knows that they actually need the rain sensor but the once bad decision has to be defended into death.

Reactions: soulsea
The windshield wipers are a joke on automatic mode…. If I want to use them, I have to put them in manual mode. Why in the world would Tesla remove a standard rain sensor that cost $2.47 only to rely on a camera that doesn’t work for $hit. By the way, the cost estimate of $2.47 came from Amazon; I am relatively certain that Tesla could get it for a better price. Ugh.

Joe

As they are stuck behind a bad decision to remove the working rain sensor they can not do much, really.

Also, being a stubborn company after making bad decisions doesnt help either. I guess *someone* knows that they actually need the rain sensor but the once bad decision has to be defended into death.
That has to be it. Adding it back is admitting a mistake and those owners being upset they don't have that $3 part.