Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW4 but no Phoenix Radar?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just assigned a VIN for a Model S Plaid today and found this in the source code on my account page: {"radar":false,"acceleration":false,"range":false,"uss":false,"ap4":true}

Most of the tips I could find on this forum didn't work for me when searching the source code page and I pretty much stumbled upon the above line of code. It kind of looks like I might get HW4 (ap4?) but no ultra sonic sensors or Phoenix Radar. Is this correct or the case for anyone else? I was really hoping to get the new radar, but I'm honestly not sure I want to push off my order even if it doesn't have the new radar.

I have a new S on order, but I waited until I knew it would have HW4, even though no one knew when it was actually coming. I don’t know if the car will have the new radar, but if not, you won’t know when that’s coming either. I’m hoping that HW4 cars can be upgraded with new radar and cameras when the time comes, but I don’t know that. It’s a safe bet that HW3 cars can’t be upgraded.

How did you ensure yours would have HW4? By order date? I ordered my car on March 13th.
I ordered on March 17, after I verified that new S/X deliveries were coming through with HW4. You should be good with a March 13 order, I think HW4 went into production in Feb or maybe even late Jan.

My current estimated delivery date is April 22 - May 1. It was originally March.

There's a lot of mystery and speculation around the phoenix radar. I just took delivery of an ultra red S and I have been in the forums where people were going to the service centers days early and stating their cars were there and a few believed the radar was there but disconnected. It's so hard to know what to believe. I do know there are additional open connectors for 3 more cameras and a "spare" so perhaps a paid upgrade will be in the future.

Last edited:
I was just assigned a VIN for a Model S Plaid today and found this in the source code on my account page: {"radar":false,"acceleration":false,"range":false,"uss":false,"ap4":true}

Most of the tips I could find on this forum didn't work for me when searching the source code page and I pretty much stumbled upon the above line of code. It kind of looks like I might get HW4 (ap4?) but no ultra sonic sensors or Phoenix Radar. Is this correct or the case for anyone else? I was really hoping to get the new radar, but I'm honestly not sure I want to push off my order even if it doesn't have the new radar.
Tesla keeps us in the dark, so it is hard to be informed.

However, once you have access to your car's display, you can check the listings of your hardware to confirm Phoenix. Edited: Sorry. I want to admit that I am wrong as per @aerodyne below. The listings on your central display do not show the presence or absence of Pheonix.

In the meantime, Tesla codes may be ignoring the radar, for now, to allow them to work on Vision only for a while until they get more staff to work on Vision plus Phoenix.

Last edited:

Any car built after Jan 2023 will not have USS.

You should have AP4 and HW4 per your source code prior to delivery. Radar : false might reference to the old radar which has been gone for about a year.

Less than 50 MS MX cars have the Updated firmware for AP4 per Teslafi, although the actual fleet number could be 10 times that, no reports of what that update actually does, except perhaps better parking.

I would not push off your order for new features. One could roll the dice and wait for another price cut. With inventory still being high, I would not be surprised to see another 1-2k price drop end of this quarter.

Tesla keeps us in the dark, so it is hard to be informed.

However, once you have access to your car's display, you can check the listings of your hardware to confirm Pheonix.

In the meantime, Tesla codes may be ignoring the radar, for now, to allow them to work on Vision only for a while until they get more staff to work on Vision plus Phoenix.
I was unable to view any info re AP4 or radar on the center display of a demo at a Tesla drive event despite updated cameras and a match build date.

Reactions: Tam
My car is on a ship to EU. Model S LR Ultra Red, VIN 5YJSA7E52PF508xxx

Was hoping for HW4 but Tesla service just replied to me: "It will be a car that is equipped with Autopilot Hardware 3.0"
I don’t think they are correct. based on build dates and deliveries, we haven’t seen any ultra red ship without hw4. Phoenix radar is still a mystery but your vin and color tell a different story.

Reactions: Tazmanian
I honestly agree they don't know what they are talking about. As I informed also about the new glass roof, and they answered that they are not aware of any changes to the glass roof... and this has been officialy announced already. :rolleyes:
Your vin is significantly higher than the first reported hw4 vins at 502xx also, you definitely have HW4

When I picked up, I was lucky to have the Tesla rep show me their internal screen. It listed all the options the car comes with (even though the options from image code don't show them to me) and it said "AP4.0-TRUE", "PHEONIX RADAR-TRUE". The only thing it didn't have was anything for glass roof, and I don't know if I have that since I've never seen the "old" one

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne

can you tell me which page I go to to find that source code?

can you tell me which page I go to to find that source code?
I went to Tesla’s website and then to my account page for the vehicle I ordered. After that it depends on your browser. Iirc, the Google Chrome shortcut was control + U.

However, as they mentioned above it doesn’t really seem to contain the level of detail it once did.

My VIN is 511xxx and I’ll be picking the car up Friday. Fingers crossed that I get all the new stuff. I’m excited either way… I’ve been wanting a Model S since ~ 2012/13 when I first read about it online.

I went to Tesla’s website and then to my account page for the vehicle I ordered. After that it depends on your browser. Iirc, the Google Chrome shortcut was control + U.

However, as they mentioned above it doesn’t really seem to contain the level of detail it once did.

My VIN is 511xxx and I’ll be picking the car up Friday. Fingers crossed that I get all the new stuff. I’m excited either way… I’ve been wanting a Model S since ~ 2012/13 when I first read about it online.

You will get the new stuff, no worries there. But it won't do much without software, no timeline for that has been announced.

Be sure to bring a checklist, with inventory as it is, don't be afraid to reject if not perfect.

Does your account show the new FUSC?

You will get the new stuff, no worries there. But it won't do much without software, no timeline for that has been announced.

Be sure to bring a checklist, with inventory as it is, don't be afraid to reject if not perfect.

i'm picking up my model S next week, has anyone made a checklist I can use? Not sure what I should be looking for

I don’t believe so. Under the loot box in the Tesla app it shows 0 remaining Free Supercharging Miles. I might need to contact them to see if they’ll add it. Or perhaps it doesn’t show up until after payment or I’m looking in the wrong spot.