TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

HWPC inside shed - options for routing cable outside?

Discussion in 'Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure' started by sc123, May 20, 2020.

1. sc123

sc123 Member

Hi all-

I'm looking at potentially installing an HPWC at a seasonal cottage. It will not get used very often. There's a shed where I would bring power out, and I'd like to install the HPWC inside the shed to protect it from the elements.

I'm looking for a good option to cut a hole in the shed wall and allow me to route the cable out when I'm there so I don't have to leave the shed door open, risk someone shutting it on the cord, etc.

Has anyone done something similar to this? Seems like there should be some standard product out there, like a mini-access panel with a small cover that swings shut when it's not in use, where I can route the cable through to the outside when I need it?

Thanks in advance!

2. sc123

sc123 Member

• Like x 1
  3. Watts_Up

Watts_Up Active Member

• Like x 2
  4. sc123

sc123 Member

Thanks! Looks like it's using a similar product to what I posted before - but good to see a step-by-step example shown, esp to get an idea of the sizing since there are a few options for these "RV Hatch" products...

• Like x 1
  5. rgrein

rgrein New Member

Thanks! I have just been shutting the garage door on the cord - older automated door that allows just enough room for the cable, but I didn't want to leave it this way. I just hope I have enough room in the very narrow exterior wall there....

6. Ionpowr2

Ionpowr2 New Member

50 amp weatherproof outlet + mobile charger works for our second home

Attached Files:

• 1.jpeg
      1.jpeg
      File size:
      141.9 KB
      Views:
    • Like x 1
  7. WadeMT

WadeMT Member

I would install the charger where you’re charging the car. If you park the car inside the shed, put it inside. I was given a 1st gen HPWC by a friend, and it had been outside since 2014, in Montana. You wouldn’t know it was ever outside. I installed it in my garage because that’s where I park. But I wouldn’t think twice about an outdoor location. It’s made for it.

• Like x 1
  8. user212_nr

user212_nr Member

9. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

I like this idea. Avoids the MC/WC being outside permanently where someone could see it, and steal or vandalize it when they are not home. Doesn't draw as much attention to itself as a 20' cable hanging on a hook. MC is easier to replace in the event something appears wrong or not working.