Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HWY 1 trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys, I am planning SYD MEL trip and would appreciate any advice/ input, because I want to do the southbound trip via the coast. I have searched the forums and found some helpful info but of course a number of the threads are a few years old.

So, here is my plan. I will be driving solo in my P100D with 21” wheels, departing at 100%:

1. Randwick to Berry. 142 kms. Breakfast while topping up on 3p at the Berry showgrounds for 30 mins.
2. Berry to Narooma. 207km. Supercharge to 100%
3. Narooma to Marlo. 316km. 3p Tesla charger at Marlo Hotel - hoping for 45 mins
4. Marlo to Bairnsdale. 105km. Overnight and charge to 100% at Riversleigh Hotel
5. Bairnsdale to Richmond Supercharger. 277km.

The Narooma to Marlo leg is the trickiest. And, I may be being optimistic on the 45 mins charge at Marlo.

Northbound will be via the Hume so no issues.

I have tried doing this in EVtripplanner but I am finding it hard to work with the non-supercharger charging.

Tks much

If you’re a member of the Tesla Owners Club of Australia (TOCA) you can borrow a CHAdeMO adapter and charge at Berry Bowling Club at 50Kw versus about 18Kw off 3 Phase.
I think you may have to stay a bit longer at Marlo as Ross Middleton achieved 64 Kmh recharge rate and he has a Model S with twin chargers that could achieve about 110 Kmh recharge rate on 22 Kw indicating that the Marlo Destination charger is probably limited to 16 A 3 phase.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Chuq
A Better Routeplanner seems good, although I haven't compared it to real-world yet. it seems to understand tapering on supercharging, and always tries to arrive at a supercharger with 10% charge to maximise charging speed. I'd probably not cut it quite as fine in practice until I got some trust/experience.

I did something like you propose but in reverse. Melb to Marlo in one hit. Charge to 100% at Marlo Hotel & my clients premises near Marlo. then Narooma SC & Gerringong to charge at my brothers solar system. I did this with a 85D. You could aim to stay at Marlo H as the Tesla Charger has a sign "Clients Only" but you could offer to pay and or have a meal. On the 300k legs I travelled around 80kph top.

Guys, I am planning SYD MEL trip and would appreciate any advice/ input, because I want to do the southbound trip via the coast. I have searched the forums and found some helpful info but of course a number of the threads are a few years old.

So, here is my plan. I will be driving solo in my P100D with 21” wheels, departing at 100%:

1. Randwick to Berry. 142 kms. Breakfast while topping up on 3p at the Berry showgrounds for 30 mins.
2. Berry to Narooma. 207km. Supercharge to 100%
3. Narooma to Marlo. 316km. 3p Tesla charger at Marlo Hotel - hoping for 45 mins
4. Marlo to Bairnsdale. 105km. Overnight and charge to 100% at Riversleigh Hotel
5. Bairnsdale to Richmond Supercharger. 277km.

The Narooma to Marlo leg is the trickiest. And, I may be being optimistic on the 45 mins charge at Marlo.

Northbound will be via the Hume so no issues.

I have tried doing this in EVtripplanner but I am finding it hard to work with the non-supercharger charging.

Tks much
You'd save yourself some hassle if you could spend more than 45 minutes at Marlo Hotel. 45 min will add about 40km, better than nothing I suppose.
My 75D with 21" gets about 350km real range, with no headwind and no elevation change. Your car should get about 450km.
Your trip has no real elevation change, but you should think about the weather forecast and seasonal wind direction.
Technically you could do Narooma to Bairnsdale without stopping, but it would be tight. The longer you can spend in Marlo the better.

BTW, the Berry supercharger is supposed to be online pretty soon.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hovean