Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

hybrids and other EV'S using Tesla destination chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at mitre 10 today there was a Toyota hybrid using the one of the Tesla destination chargers
Another hybrid showed up and drove off
Guess he didnt want to hang around

Wonder what would have happened if another Telsa turned up.
Guess this is going to be more of an issue the more Teslas there are.

You can verify for certain the hybrid was using it? Receiving a charge from it? You saw the lights prove to you it was receiving a charge?
I ask because I doubt it. There's a handshake that goes on between the WC/MC and Superchargers. I doubt the Toyota had the proper match.
The hybrid might have been plugged in, it might have appeared to be charging, but the owner might have been standing there scratching his head trying to figure why it would not work too.

Last edited:
You can verify for certain the hybrid was using it? Receiving a charge from it? You saw the lights prove to you it was receiving a charge?
I ask because I doubt it. There's a handshake that goes on between the WC/MC and Superchargers. I doubt the Toyota had the proper match.
The hybrid might have been plugged in, it might have appeared to be charging, but the owner might have been standing there scratching his head trying to figure why it would not work too.
This is NZ not US
Wasn't supercharger it was a destination charger the hybrid owner looked like he'd done it many times
He was there the nearly for the whole time I was. NZ uses type 2 socket not the proprietary Tesla socket US uses

I've seen none Tesla's checking in on plugshare in NZ using Tesla destination charges
I thought it must have been a mistake, but I seen it today.

I to thought there must be some kind of handshake with the Tesla destination charges, but it looks like there isn't.
it looks like as long as you can connect you can charge.

My friend has a new Jaguar Pace-E vehicle. He says that to charge at a Tesla Supercharging Station
he must purchase an adapter first, and his charging cost per kwh is more than the cost per kwh to a Tesla vehicle
at the same charging station. Is all this valid or is he crying in his milk again.

My friend has a new Jaguar Pace-E vehicle. He says that to charge at a Tesla Supercharging Station
he must purchase an adapter first, and his charging cost per kwh is more than the cost per kwh to a Tesla vehicle
at the same charging station. Is all this valid or is he crying in his milk again.

so far as I’ve seen, no non Tesla can charge at a supercharger, but there are adapters that allow a non Tesla to use a destination charger, or a hpwc with a Tesla plug.

Reactions: destructure00
Superchargers communicate with the car to validate whatever they need to validate before charging. Because of this, they only work with Tesla vehicles.

Destination chargers (HPWC) are "dumb" chargers. Just plug in and go. They don't do any type of validation or anything, so they can be used on any make/model EV. There are even adapters called TeslaTap here in the US to allow other brands of EV to charge using Tesla destination chargers with the proprietary connector.

Reactions: ralph142
Superchargers communicate with the car to validate whatever they need to validate before charging. Because of this, they only work with Tesla vehicles.

Destination chargers are "dumb" chargers. Just plug in and go. They don't do any type of validation or anything, so they can be used on any make/model EV. There are even adapters called TeslaTap here in the US to allow other brands of EV to charge using Tesla destination chargers / HPWC.

Destination chargers are not "dumb". Tesla has the option to prevent adapters from being used if they chose to do so but has not.

if you look at plugshare mitre10 Albany and mitre10 New Lynn Tesla destination chargers
You can see other EV's either checking in, or photos of them using the Tesla destination chargers
Leaf, Hyundai

Plugshare shows egolf has checked in at Tesla Krd store as well!
using destination chargers? lol :)

I guess dip switch not set then

Most modern EVs (eGolf, i3, Kona, etc) will work with the Wall Connectors in either position but some require the Wall Connectors to be in "Legacy" mode (which is there for the Roadster). The older Leafs will only work with it in Legacy mode.