TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

hybrids and other EV'S using Tesla destination chargers

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Ecoli, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Ecoli

Ecoli Member

I was at mitre 10 today there was a Toyota hybrid using the one of the Tesla destination chargers
    Another hybrid showed up and drove off
    Guess he didnt want to hang around

Wonder what would have happened if another Telsa turned up.
    Guess this is going to be more of an issue the more Teslas there are.

2. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

#2 Akikiki, Dec 28, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    You can verify for certain the hybrid was using it? Receiving a charge from it? You saw the lights prove to you it was receiving a charge?
    I ask because I doubt it. There's a handshake that goes on between the WC/MC and Superchargers. I doubt the Toyota had the proper match.
    The hybrid might have been plugged in, it might have appeared to be charging, but the owner might have been standing there scratching his head trying to figure why it would not work too.

3. eevee-fan

eevee-fan Active Member

Maybe just admiring the charger and contemplating trading in that "self charging" Toyota for a Tesla.

4. Ecoli

Ecoli Member

This is NZ not US
    Wasn't supercharger it was a destination charger the hybrid owner looked like he'd done it many times
    He was there the nearly for the whole time I was. NZ uses type 2 socket not the proprietary Tesla socket US uses

I've seen none Tesla's checking in on plugshare in NZ using Tesla destination charges
    I thought it must have been a mistake, but I seen it today.

I to thought there must be some kind of handshake with the Tesla destination charges, but it looks like there isn't.
    it looks like as long as you can connect you can charge.

5. Matt_NZ

Matt_NZ Member

Any Type 2 EV should be able to use the Wall Connectors.

I personally don't have a problem with it. If it encourages more EV ownership then that's a good thing!

6. Hillco EV

Hillco EV Member

My friend has a new Jaguar Pace-E vehicle. He says that to charge at a Tesla Supercharging Station
    he must purchase an adapter first, and his charging cost per kwh is more than the cost per kwh to a Tesla vehicle
    at the same charging station. Is all this valid or is he crying in his milk again.

7. ralph142

ralph142 Member

so far as I’ve seen, no non Tesla can charge at a supercharger, but there are adapters that allow a non Tesla to use a destination charger, or a hpwc with a Tesla plug.

• Like x 1
  8. EVDRVN

EVDRVN Active Member

I think some people are very confused about an SC and destination charger and how they work. J adapters for the destination chargers have been around a long time but there is no adapter that works on an SC.

9. destructure00

destructure00 Active Member

Superchargers communicate with the car to validate whatever they need to validate before charging. Because of this, they only work with Tesla vehicles.

Destination chargers (HPWC) are "dumb" chargers. Just plug in and go. They don't do any type of validation or anything, so they can be used on any make/model EV. There are even adapters called TeslaTap here in the US to allow other brands of EV to charge using Tesla destination chargers with the proprietary connector.

• Like x 1
  10. EVDRVN

EVDRVN Active Member

Destination chargers are not "dumb". Tesla has the option to prevent adapters from being used if they chose to do so but has not.

11. RobDickinson

RobDickinson Member

Typically destination chargers used to be installed in pairs, one locked to tesla only (they are in NZ effectively type 2 tethered chargers).

I've heard all the new ones (including the home chargers) are locked to tesla by default.

12. RobDickinson

RobDickinson Member

As for superchargers, yes only tesla can charge there, Jaguar have been naughty telling customers all sorts of bullshit and this is part of it.

13. Ecoli

Ecoli Member

I think the Jag user maybe confused between superchargers and destination chargers

14. daparrot

daparrot Member

The destination chargers normally have dip switch 2 controlling if non Tesla vehicles can use the css charges ( at least in NZ )

• Like x 1
  15. Ecoli

Ecoli Member

if you look at plugshare mitre10 Albany and mitre10 New Lynn Tesla destination chargers
    You can see other EV's either checking in, or photos of them using the Tesla destination chargers
    Leaf, Hyundai

Plugshare shows egolf has checked in at Tesla Krd store as well!
    using destination chargers? lol :)

I guess dip switch not set then

16. Matt_NZ

Matt_NZ Member

Most modern EVs (eGolf, i3, Kona, etc) will work with the Wall Connectors in either position but some require the Wall Connectors to be in "Legacy" mode (which is there for the Roadster). The older Leafs will only work with it in Legacy mode.