Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hydro Rates in Ontario from 6.5 to 10.1 per Kwh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For some reason, this is not really in the news, but did anyone notice that until November 1st, off-peak rates were 6.5 cents (which is when I charge overnight). Now, as of Nov 1, it has increased to 10.1 cents and potentially as high as 20.8 cents for on-peak.

This is a crazy increase that has absolutely no outrage by the community. I am seeing the new rate when I log into my hydro account right now. Obviously, electric vehicles are still much cheaper than gas but the cost almost doubled overnight!

This is great for Ontario households with net-metered PV arrays. My income form solar is now back to what it was before all the rate drops. This is assuming Oakville hydro hasn't moved me to some other tiered pricing scheme or discounted the credit by the same amount as the rebate. We will see on my next bill. This could mean solar is quite cost effective now and could help Tesla's solar roof in Ontario.

You can plug in your data here
Bill calculator | Ontario Energy Board to find out.

This is handy I thought, then I go to try it but of course as a Hydro One "customer" (I prefer to think "hostage") I'm presented with this unhelpful choice for "select your utility":

upload_2019-11-9_13-39-29.png

So I can rule out the last three but WTF are the others? "UR Residential" - yes I am, is that a question?? How am I supposed to know? I go to look at my bill on the Hydro One website and of course, that bit of their site isn't working.

Hydro One is officially the worst hydro company ever - crazy how they get away with such poor service and BS - this is pretty par for the course in all my dealings with them. About time we all had a more open market, proper choice and some actual competition.

This is handy I thought, then I go to try it but of course as a Hydro One "customer" (I prefer to think "hostage") I'm presented with this unhelpful choice for "select your utility":

View attachment 474969

So I can rule out the last three but WTF are the others? "UR Residential" - yes I am, is that a question?? How am I supposed to know? I go to look at my bill on the Hydro One website and of course, that bit of their site isn't working.

Hydro One is officially the worst hydro company ever - crazy how they get away with such poor service and BS - this is pretty par for the course in all my dealings with them. About time we all had a more open market, proper choice and some actual competition.

As far as I know, R1 and R2 zoning refers to detached, and semi-detached homes. Most likely, you are in one of these categories.
You should be able to search zoning on your city website.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
I find it funny how often our 'ludicrous' electricity rates are in the news despite:
1. We are about average if you look at US and Canada (when considered in the same currency), particularly if you use off peak.
2. We have the second cleanest grid in north america (next to Quebec) and amoung the cleanest in the world CO2 and particulate pollution wise.

Yet every election...blah blah crazy hydro rates, government mismanagement this and that. No one ever mentions the cautionary tales of what happens when you gift it to a private company like PG&E in california. And after each election my bill changes. New logos, new format...same $.

So, in short: the price' went up' because the current crop thinks they'll get some political gain.