TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Hydrogen Fuel Cell Equinox -- Test Drive

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by tonybelding, Nov 9, 2007.

1. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

Positive press for GM's hydrogen madness. . .

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2007-11-08-chevrolet-equinox_N.htm

To me reading this article was highly frustrating.

For the most part, they like the hydrogen Equinox. . . But at no point does anyone ask the obvious question: Where's the advantage of this vehicle over a BEV?

The thing has a range of only 150 miles. By comparison a Toyota RAV4 EV can manage about 105 miles with NiMH batteries, and you have to assume with Li-ion could easily match the Equinox. Meanwhile, the electrical grid is everywhere: you can charge at home in your own garage, you can charge from RV hookups. I don't think there's a hydrogen station within 500 miles of my home.

2. Kardax

Kardax Member

In theory, a hydrogen car can refill quickly, enabling very long distance road trips. That's perceived as a fatal flaw to BEVs, thus making hydrogen the hands down winner. *rolls eyes*

There's another obvious question no reporter has ever asked: How much does it cost to fill up?

I think that besides the up front high cost of a fuel cell vehicle, the fill up price will discourage mainstream customers.

If Tesla has their way, when White Stars are in customer hands a few years from now, a lot more reporters will ask the hard questions.

-Ryan

3. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

And also another not so obvious one: how long does it take until a full tank gets empty in your garage? 14 days? Hydrogen leaks through everything unless chemically bonded.

4. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

639 miles

Just for fun I thought I'd see how far it is from my home to the nearest hydrogen fuel station that I can find. I went to this site:

http://www.hydrogenassociation.org/

Checking the map, the closest station appears to be in Taos, New Mexico.

According to Google Maps, it would be a 639 mile drive from my home to there.

Also, the station is marked "private" on their list. So. . . Assuming I had a hydrogen car and could get it there, I might not be allowed to fill up.