Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hydrogen vs. Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i think musk is a puppet front man for some other agenda. I mean the whole sapce x/brain implant/tunneling other things he is into that are expensive are lame and beyond his scope as is obvious. If he would just stick to cars and funnel all that $$ into that one thing tesas could be so much better and service could be so much easier and more centers and more sc stations...jack of all trades master of none comes to mind. Others are catching up too fast now and cheaper
Welcome to TMC. We need such fresh blood here

Capacitors are nothing new. They are integral to all of our electronics. They are not capable of safely storing enough energy to rival lithium batteries for automobiles.
But they can safely store absolutely huge amounts of energy. At least one roller coaster uses capacitors in its launch system. It slowly stores then quickly releases over 1 megawatt for each launch. It is a tad larger than one would like in a car to be fair. Capacitors in the 33 megajoules (about 9 kWhr but all of it released in small fractions of a second) category are in research for powering rail guns and others are being considered for carrier catapults to replace the flywheels used for energy storage in the newest carriers.
As I noted above, if you make them light enough, they are too fragile. A breach results in a catastrophic release of energy.
Oh yeah.

But they can safely store absolutely huge amounts of energy. At least one roller coaster uses capacitors in its launch system. It slowly stores then quickly releases over 1 megawatt for each launch. It is a tad larger than one would like in a car to be fair. Capacitors in the 33 megajoules (about 9 kWhr but all of it released in small fractions of a second) category are in research for powering rail guns and others are being considered for carrier catapults to replace the flywheels used for energy storage in the newest carriers.

Supercapacitors can be several times more dense than lithium-ion batteries (both in terms of energy per kg and per liter), and you could add lots of armor around supercapacitor packs with that much weight and space savings.

The main problem with capacitors is self-discharge. For supercapacitors, losing only 10% of their charge per day (open-circuit) is considered "extremely low", at least when compared with the previous state of the art, which basically lost their entire charge in a day, give or take. A lithium ion battery loses about 5% per *month*. Until they reduce the self-discharge rate by close to two orders of magnitude, none of the safety concerns will even start to matter.

Supercapacitors can be several times more dense than lithium-ion batteries (both in terms of energy per kg and per liter), and you could add lots of armor around supercapacitor packs with that much weight and space savings.

The main problem with capacitors is self-discharge. For supercapacitors, losing only 10% of their charge per day (open-circuit) is considered "extremely low", at least when compared with the previous state of the art, which basically lost their entire charge in a day, give or take. A lithium ion battery loses about 5% per *month*. Until they reduce the self-discharge rate by close to two orders of magnitude, none of the safety concerns will even start to matter.
My #14,096 may be relevant and/or of interest

Power density, sure. Energy density however is normally well behind that of lithium-ion batteries - and since BEVs already have plenty of power once you fit a li-ion battery of sufficient capacity to give adequate range, it's the energy density that matters for this application.

Unless you know of some new supercapacitors with vastly improved capacity?

Supercapacitors can be several times more dense than lithium-ion batteries (both in terms of energy per kg and per liter)
I think you're confusing energy with power.
Supercapacitors have excellent power density (Watt/liter) and excellent specific power (AKA gravimetric power density measured in Watt/kg) but they have poor energy density (Watt-hours/liter) and poor specific energy (AKA gravimetric energy density measured in Watt-hours/kg).
That means one can accelerate great with very small mass or volume of supercapacitors but you can't go very far on a given mass or volume of them compared to how far you can go on the same mass or volume of batteries.
Another challenge with Supercapacitors is that, like all capacitors, they have an exponential discharge curve. They output a lot of power at first but it drops off quickly:

Capacitor
1694921496478.png

Li-ion battery
1694921524784.png

For a roller coaster you get a good jolt from the capacitors and density doesn't matter since the capacitors are all on the ground.
For a car, you want the power for a long time.

I think you're confusing energy with power.

I used the wrong word. I actually meant energy (Wh/kg and Wh/L). But it is possible that the numbers I found when I looked it up were wrong, or that I misread grams as kilograms or kilowatts as watts or... no idea. :)

Another challenge with Supercapacitors is that, like all capacitors, they have an exponential discharge curve. They output a lot of power at first but it drops off quickly:

Capacitor
View attachment 974569

Li-ion battery
View attachment 974571

Yes, the discharge curve is something that has to be dealt with, but it almost certainly isn't an insurmountable problem if the total capacity is large enough. After all, you can flatten out the curve with a switched mode regulator just by starting at some tiny fraction of a percent duty cycle and ramping up as the capacitor drains, eventually ending at a 100% duty cycle before dropping out when the capacitor drops below the low-voltage cutoff threshold for the voltage regulator.

But it is critical to have a low self-discharge rate. Nobody wants to lose an entire car worth of charge once a day, or even once a week, so a high self-discharge rate, unfortunately, would be a showstopper that would preclude the use of a lot of supercapacitor designs as power storage for automotive purposes, except perhaps to briefly store excess power from regenerative braking beyond what the battery can sink.

One more nail in the coffin...

I was wondering how many HFCVs are out there in California. According to this article the answer is about 12,000.
Interesting article. Hopefully CA can just stop funding this boondoggle.