Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hydrogen vs. Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has Calif.'s hydrogen highway gone bust? - NYTimes.com

Gerhard Achtelik, manager of the hydrogen highway program at the Air Resources Board, admitted in an interview that the state would not hit its 150-station goal by 2010.

"That was a very optimistic guess," Achtelik said. "It's certainly been a learning experience."

The state's hydrogen-highway experience points to a fundamental question confronting any effort to build an alternative car market, be it powered by hydrogen or electricity: What comes first, the vehicle or the infrastructure?

Of the hydrogen effort, Achtelik conceded that the public has "not received the vehicles as quickly as we hoped."
What comes first, the vehicle or the infrastructure?

I think for BEVs the answer is clearly the vehicle.

Automakers have developed test models and advanced fuel-cell technology in labs around the world, but this test phase has not yet resulted in anything close to a commercial hydrogen car market.

Meanwhile, the same Gov. who championed Hydrogen has purchased an all electric vehicle.

Ogden said the oil companies, unlike the carmakers, are not regulated to build the infrastructure or participate in the fledgling market. Shell Hydrogen and Chevron Corp. are involved in demonstration stations, but they have been resistant to all-out investment for a reason.

This is what I kept thinking when reading this "chicken or egg" article.

It's dying.

At this point the automakers don't care what kind of cars they make, they just need to move product. So now more than ever it's time for the gasoline makers to put up or shut up.

If they truly want to saddle the world with a new fuel for the next gen of automobiles they need to drop billions and billions in building hundreds of these stations all over California. It's a huge risk as most will sit empty for a long time but that's the kind of investment that will either hatch a new industry or lay an egg.

Oh, I have had that electricity stuff at my house for a while now... Indoor plumbing too! :smile:
Heh, yes. :tongue: I suppose I should have rephrased their statement to clarify what I take for them to mean a public refueling/recharging infrastructure. Clearly we don't need to wait around for new infrastructure to make BEVs (though some argue we do).

Jay Leno Thinks Chevy Volt Superior to Prius | GM-VOLT : Chevy Volt Electric Car Site

Jay Leno mentions in this article that for the Equinox "The only downside is that it’s about a 20 minute wait for a fill-up, so bring a book. But that’s only because the infrastructure is not here yet so it takes a little longer to fill."

I always thought all of the hydrogen fueling stations were 5 minute fill-ups (like gas), I wasn't aware some were that slow. Anyone know why it's that slow, and if most hydrogen fueling stations are that slow? Still quite a bit faster than EV fill-ups but it's about the speed of the lower power rapid chargers.

Edit:
Okay, I found out why. The 10k psi compression takes a bit of time, so it can take up to 25 minutes to fill up a car. With buffer tanks of pre-compressed hydrogen, you can fill up in 5-10 minutes.

I always thought all of the hydrogen fueling stations were 5 minute fill-ups (like gas), I wasn't aware some were that slow. Anyone know why it's that slow, and if most hydrogen fueling stations are that slow? Still quite a bit faster than EV fill-ups but it's about the speed of the lower power rapid chargers.

Actually, if you look at the video that went along with the Dan Neil review of the FCX Clarity, he emphasizes that it takes a long time to fill... he doesn't say exactly how long, but I seem to remember a clock in the frame, so maybe one can make an estimate.

As to why it's so slow... well I don't know the details of hydrogen fill stations, but I've dealt with cryogens and compressed gasses a lot, so I can make some guesses. It really has to do with how much impedance is in the line and how much back pressure there is in the tank. It can take a long time to compress gasses to thousands of psi.

I don't know if the Equinox is liquid or gaseous hydrogen. If filling liquid, then there should probably have to be a return line to collect gaseous boil off. It takes me about 30 minutes to fill a 100 liter dewar with liquid nitrogen. And that's just venting the boil off to atmosphere. What's the volume of the tank in the Equinox?

EDIT: Oops... just saw your edits. That's what I get for not refreshing.

Obama was on the Tonight Show tonight and his appearance ended up giving a bit of a plug for hydrogen...
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/20/us/politics/20obama.text.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/20/us/politics/20obama.text.html?pagewanted=5&_r=1
MR. LENO: Now, you mentioned cars a minute ago. You went to the electric car, you went to look at some batteries today.

MR. OBAMA: I did. It's spectacular what is being down now with plug-in hybrids, where not only are you getting the hybrid technology, but now you can plug it in at home in your garage. And potentially we could see cars getting 150 miles to a gallon of gas.
And when you get home you could potentially sell the energy in your car back into the grid, back to your utility and get money.
So we’re going to be investing billions of dollars in research and development around these technologies. I know that you were mentioning you've got a hydrogen car –-

MR. LENO: I've got the GM hydrogen car. That's a whole new --

MR. OBAMA: That's a whole new level of technology. That's what's going to create the auto industry of the future. That's where we're going to win back manufacturing. But right now we’re behind...

The Tonight Show with Jay Leno - President Obama - Full Interview (3/19) - Video - NBC.com

I would have transcribed it differently, with a break after that first sentence in that last Obama quote.

I interpreted the that in "That's a whole new level of technology" as referring to hydrogen, but also trying not to get off topic (i.e. that's some other thing...). The following thats were referring to battery technology, or perhaps automotive technology in general.

MR. LENO: I've got the GM hydrogen car. That's a whole new --

MR. OBAMA: That's a whole new level of technology... [cutting off Jay]

That's what's going to create the auto industry of the future. That's where we're going to win back manufacturing. But right now we’re behind.

These batteries are being made in Japan –- just like wind power is being made in Europe. We need to bring that here, and that's part of what my budget and part of what our Recovery Act is all about.

I'm sure hydrogen proponents will spin it however they want.

Right. Obama started the digression, including hydrogen in a small way, but was getting back on the broader topic. It's not as if he was saying, "Hydrogen's what's going to create the auto industry of the future. Hydrogen's where we're going to win back manufacturing." Which is my problem with the transcription.

Well Obama mentioned Jay's Hydrogen car because either Jay had mentioned it the previous visit (on or off camera), this visit (backstage before the interview), or he was briefed on Jay and his new technology cars. Obama always has good info about the people he meets (at least interviewers) so he can use it in discussion.

As we watched Obama at SCE and on Jay I pointed out to my wife that the President's actions are what is important. So far he has said clean coal and hydrogen cars but more is being done/given to solar-wind and Hybrid-Electric vehicles.

http://www.hydrogen.energy.gov/pdfs/8019_fuel_cell_system_cost.pdf
According to this, if state of the art PEM fuel cell systems from 2008 were manufactured in volumes of 500k+ then the price would be $73/kW in 2008 dollars.
Considering 110kW (150hp) is enough to power a wide range of cars, that works out to be $8030 for the PEM system of that power.

The year 2000 estimate was $294/kW which would have worked out to be $32,340 for 110kW in 2000 dollars.
http://www.fuelcells.org/info/library/ADLCostModel.pdf

That's a pretty good improvement.

Don't know how much a storage tank costs but conceivably if they mass produce at a volume of 500k+ then fuel cell systems would approach costs of battery packs or even less. This is just a heads up so you won't be taken by surprise if it ever gets to that point. The estimates might be optimistic but it does show that hydrogen is closer than many would think (especially hearing all the prototypes cost $500k-millions). Of course they still have the infrastructure to work out, which is going to be a challenge, but if they can get much cheaper cars out, then it might solve one side of the "chicken or egg" problem.

I stumbled on this stuff after looking at price claims in the posts by a consistently pro-hydrogen commenter on Green Car Congress called wintermane2000 (he didn't post any links though so I had to look for where he got the figures).
Green Car Congress: DOE Awards RPI $1.6M to Develop New Fuel Cell Manufacturing Technology and Processes

Those sound like pie in the sky estimates that don't really prove anything. If EV traction packs were built in 500K quantities prices would be much lower as well. Fact is that lithium production is increasing and prices are dropping, unlike fuel cells. Not to mention the poor energy usage of hydrogen and infrastructure already mentioned.

An Inconvenient Truth was shown on network TV for the first time here last night. It was interesting, but it didn't tell me anything new (it might have done 3 or 4 years ago). I warmed to Al Gore a lot more because of it.

However, guess which Japanese car manufacturer took the entire first ad break - featuring among other things a car "that emits only water"? They even had the continuity announcer introduce it as a "special advertisement for doers everywhere". Grr.

The next time this film is shown, I want to see a full length ad for Model S in that spot :smile: