Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hydrophobic treatment on *rear* window? (Rain X/Aquapel)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone applied a hydrophobic treatment to the rear window? Are you happy with how it performs, are their any caveats to consider?

Since there is no rear windshield wiper I was considering applying Aquapel to the rear window and possibly the roof, but I haven't found many examples of people doing this and I'm wondering if it's actually helpful.

I applied RainX on all the glass back in August (during the middle of Florida’s rainy season) and I’ve been happy with it. It’s not a huge game changer or anything, but there are a lot less water spots after washes and visibility has improved a bit in poor conditions.

RainX is super cheap and simple to apply, so if you have a spare 30 minutes, give it a try?

Reactions: redscott
1AFC67A5-BD61-4F7E-8593-21354716A5CB.jpeg

@Drax any issues with the front windshield and RainX? I’m asking mostly because of how the manual warns against it.

I just bought some CarPro FlyBy Forte that’s a nanocoating for glass surfaces that’s supposed to last a year or two (compared to a week or month with RainX).

Because it’s a bit more permanent than RainX, I’ve been trying to find any real life examples on Model 3 glass.

@redscott my plan is to coat all the glass surfaces, including the middle & rear panels. I’ll keep you posted on the results.

Here’s the product on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/CarPro-FlyBy...lyby+forte&dpPl=1&dpID=31fNiaqYX8L&ref=plSrch

View attachment 345117
@Drax any issues with the front windshield and RainX? I’m asking mostly because of how the manual warns against it.

I just bought some CarPro FlyBy Forte that’s a nanocoating for glass surfaces that’s supposed to last a year or two (compared to a week or month with RainX).

Because it’s a bit more permanent than RainX, I’ve been trying to find any real life examples on Model 3 glass.
My wipers have always chattered and have never been all that smooth, and the RainX actually helped a bit. It didn’t make things perfect, but it helped smooth things out during heavier rains at least.

TBH, I didn’t stress about putting RainX on all of the glass simply because it’s so temporary, but I would be cautious about trying a 1-2 year coating on the windshield. I’d definitely try it on the rest of the glass though! If you do try the windshield though, be *absolutely certain* that the coating doesn’t get on the wipers and that it’s fully cured before use.

... and on that note, it’s probably time for me to reapply! I’ll have to check out that coating too.

I put rain x on all glass except Windshield, I did however make the mistake of putting it on the very top of the windshield and over the camera glass area, now the auto wiper does not function well during light rain - as the front camera area must be the sensor. The rain beads by it, under moderate and heavy rain it works fine

• Informative
I put rain x on all the windows but honestly don’t notice much difference either positive or negative. The car has a ceramic coating and the hydrophobic qualities are very noticeable but the windows seem about the same with rain x or without.

The back window seems like the right level of aerodynamic that most water just rolls off as you drive anyway.

View attachment 345117

@redscott my plan is to coat all the glass surfaces, including the middle & rear panels. I’ll keep you posted on the results.

Here’s the product on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/CarPro-FlyBy...lyby+forte&dpPl=1&dpID=31fNiaqYX8L&ref=plSrch
Absolutely.

I was getting window chatter with RainX until I removed the RainX with softscrub.

My wipers have always chattered and have never been all that smooth, and the RainX actually helped a bit. It didn’t make things perfect, but it helped smooth things out during heavier rains at least.

TBH, I didn’t stress about putting RainX on all of the glass simply because it’s so temporary, but I would be cautious about trying a 1-2 year coating on the windshield. I’d definitely try it on the rest of the glass though! If you do try the windshield though, be *absolutely certain* that the coating doesn’t get on the wipers and that it’s fully cured before use.

... and on that note, it’s probably time for me to reapply! I’ll have to check out that coating too.

@Drax FYI, the FlyBy Forte application video from CarPro recommends coating the wiper blades

A9F2CF37-D7AA-4372-97FA-7820CEDE216E.png

Reactions: Drax
Any chattering with Aquapel on the windshield of a Model 3?

Yes very bad at first when I was using auto wipers (v8), which wipes too frequently. I asked Service Centre for advice and the technician told me to just use the slowest manual wiper settings instead of auto wipers. That works out fine for me.

I've applied Aquapel to all the glasses on the car -- windshield, glass roof, back glass, and windows.

FYI if anyone cares, Aquapel doesn't affect the appearance of that orange IR coating on the roof.

• Informative

Following up: Applied Aquapel to my windshield a month ago, hit my first serious rain on a Thanksgiving weekend road trip.

Aquapel on the back window works great!

Absolutely experience wiper chattering with the wipers on Auto 100% of the time 8 /. My Model 3 RWD LR is on 42.3 for what it's worth.

I like the effect of Aquapel enough (most of the time you don't need wipers at all!!!) that I'm going to leave it on my windshield, but undecided if I'll re-coat in the future.

My wipers chattered from brand new. No coating or RainX applied, per the manual.
They chattered in v8 and v9. Slower wiper speeds didn't help.
CeramicPro rain was then applied to the windshield. The wipers still chattered.
Mobile Service came out to replace a door handle and swapped wiper blades during the repair visit.
No more chattering with the new wipers, even with CeramicPro Rain applied to front windshield.

CeramicPro Rain works incredible. Water beads so well the auto wipers often don't run until at a stop sign/slower speed. Would absolutely consider applying again in the future. A month after application and it has rained basically every day the car was driven and the coating does not seem to have deteriorated.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffK