Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hydroplane and lifting off the accelerator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have no professional knowledge or training on hydroplaning. I think the front tires displace water and leave less water on the road for the rear tires to deal with. So if you feel the steering go light as the fronts leave the ground, and the car starts to yaw, then the rears will lose the benefit of the fronts displacing water for them and the entire car will become uncontrollable until it slows enough for the tires to regain traction. If there were some power going to the fronts they should start to spin up before loss of control allowing the safety systems in the car to slow the car down safely and alert the driver.

Many years ago I was driving my 1977 Scirocco (FWD, no ABS, traction control, manual steering, etc) thru a storm with the cruise control set and I noticed the engine rev and saw the speedo and tach increase but could feel the car slowing down and the steering wheel get light. It hit me that the front tires should always hydroplane first due to the rears encountering less water on the road.

I have no professional knowledge or training on hydroplaning. I think the front tires displace water and leave less water on the road for the rear tires to deal with. So if you feel the steering go light as the fronts leave the ground, and the car starts to yaw, then the rears will lose the benefit of the fronts displacing water for them and the entire car will become uncontrollable until it slows enough for the tires to regain traction. If there were some power going to the fronts they should start to spin up before loss of control allowing the safety systems in the car to slow the car down safely and alert the driver.

Many years ago I was driving my 1977 Scirocco (FWD, no ABS, traction control, manual steering, etc) thru a storm with the cruise control set and I noticed the engine rev and saw the speedo and tach increase but could feel the car slowing down and the steering wheel get light. It hit me that the front tires should always hydroplane first due to the rears encountering less water on the road.

Hydroplaning is easier to handle with FWD, front weight bias. It's the worse with RWD, rear weight bias.

The first hit was at ~45 degree angle on the rear left bumper edge, second was head-on but it had lost some momentum by then. No airbags deployed. The car protected me very well, there's no question in my mind that it was the best possible outcome. But I can't help but think it may not have happened at all if not for the regen response on a RWD in slippery conditions.
Understood. I too keep regen low especially in rainy conditions. I usually drive regen low anyways...

So, it was 5am and I wasn't mentally prepared for what was about to happen. I started to hydroplane and I lifted off the accelerator when I should have stayed steady on the pedal. The regenerative braking kicked in and made it much worse. The traction control kicked in and made it worse yet. Now before I get told that I don't know how to drive I have done some racing and precision driving. With plenty of sliding and hydroplaning on purpose, just never in a tesla or electric car for that matter. When the first slide stared to happen I lifted and the back end tried to pass the front end. I kinda got it back then it happened again and because I have been in the situation before my muscle memory kicked in and that is bad for this car. I really with I would have thought of the regenerative braking before I started to drive yesterday and turned it to low. Oh well I guess it's time to trade my Founders Addition in-- BTW you can see the SUV I hit just drive away... PS. I also think a car this amazing should know it's raining and shut it off..... Crazy
My rear end dlid out to the right in heavy rain. Wonder if wheel sensing, regen, or traction control misinterpreted , or caused the hydroplaning. Car crashed at 65mph and probably totaled. Both passengers banged up. Saw a video of another model Y lose control in exact same manner. Any thoughts, anyone?

My rear end dlid out to the right in heavy rain. Wonder if wheel sensing, regen, or traction control misinterpreted , or caused the hydroplaning. Car crashed at 65mph and probably totaled. Both passengers banged up. Saw a video of another model Y lose control in exact same manner. Any thoughts, anyone?
Video? Pics? Did the airbags go off? How much tire tread did you have, how deep was the water on the road? At some point, electronics can't beat the laws of physics, so it helps to see some of the details of your accident.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and Phlier