Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hydropneumatic Suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This would be a nice option/improvement for both the X and Y.
Hydropneumatic suspension is a type of motor vehicle suspension system, designed by Paul Magès, invented by Citroën, and fitted to Citroën cars, as well as being used under licence by other car manufacturers, notably Rolls-Royce (Silver Shadow), Maserati (Quattroporte II) and Peugeot. It was also used on Berliet trucks and has more recently been used on Mercedes-Benzcars, where it is known as Active Body Control.[1] Similar systems are also widely used on modern tanks and other large military vehicles. The suspension was referred to as oléopneumatique in early literature, pointing to oil and air as its main components.[2]

The purpose of this system is to provide a sensitive, dynamic and high-capacity suspension that offers superior ride quality on a variety of surfaces.[3]

A hydropneumatic system combines the advantages of two technological principles:

• Hydraulic systems use torque multiplication in an easy way, independent of the distance between the input and output, without the need for mechanical gears or levers.
  • Pneumatic systems are based on the fact that gas is compressible, so equipment is less subject to shock damage.
  • Gas absorbs excessive force, whereas fluid in hydraulics directly transfers force
The suspension system usually features both self-leveling and driver-variable ride height, to provide extra clearance in rough terrain.[4]

The principles illustrated by the successful use of hydropneumatic suspension are now used in a broad range of applications, such as aircraft oleo struts and gas filled automobile shock absorbers, first patented in the U.S. in 1934[5] by Cleveland Pneumatic Tool Co. This type of suspension for automobiles was inspired by the pneumatic suspension used for aircraft landing gear, which was also partly filled with oil for lubrication and to prevent gas leakage, as patented in 1933 by the same company.[6] Other modifications followed, with design changes such as the 1960 "Double stage oleo-pneumatic shock absorber" patented by Peter Fullam John and Stephan Gyurik.[7]

For more details start with reading:
Hydropneumatic suspension - Wikipedia

Reactions: Eugene Ash
Tesla doesn't need to implement a full hydraulic suspension system. Even adding basic adaptive damping (Like our Touareg had, and my ELR has) would be a welcome feature in my book, and I'd think wouldn't be very expensive to implement. Combined with air springs you can get a really great ride, and maintain good handling.

-J

The suspension difference between the S and 3..

On my S I could rest my head against the headrest on the highway. On the 3, the seat will smack your head on the same highway.

I preferred the ride in the S... quick, someone make something so the 3 rides as smooth...

Tesla doesn't need to implement a full hydraulic suspension system. Even adding basic adaptive damping (Like our Touareg had, and my ELR has) would be a welcome feature in my book, and I'd think wouldn't be very expensive to implement. Combined with air springs you can get a really great ride, and maintain good handling.

-J
It is NOT only about smooth ride - you should read Wikipedia article to get some idea.

Believe me, I know all about hydopenumaic suspensions. I had a 500SEL that was so equipped. It is a very very good system.

Since the Tesla doesn't have an engine running to power a central hydraulic pump, using an electric air compressor makes more sense. The air system Tesla uses is sealed, so unlike our Touareg it doesn't vent to the atmosphere when the car lowers.

I'll agree that the ride of the 3 is a bit firm on the highway, and on bad roads the headrest smacks you around. Adaptive damping would help a lot with this IMO - even without air springs!

-J

Believe me, I know all about hydopenumaic suspensions. I had a 500SEL that was so equipped. It is a very very good system.

Since the Tesla doesn't have an engine running to power a central hydraulic pump, using an electric air compressor makes more sense. The air system Tesla uses is sealed, so unlike our Touareg it doesn't vent to the atmosphere when the car lowers.

I'll agree that the ride of the 3 is a bit firm on the highway, and on bad roads the headrest smacks you around. Adaptive damping would help a lot with this IMO - even without air springs!

-J
air pump vs hydraulic pump both pumps being electric, who cares?
I don't see your concern, what the difference?? doesn't matter. You do know Tesla power steering is NOT engine driven hydraulic pump,
reminder I said for X and Y (I agree with you JUST for ride comfort, not good value so perhaps you should read about all the other benefits)

I don't want to argue with you. Just an idea for Tesla to keep ahead of the competition, maintain profits and continuous improvement,
side note: uses nitrogen AND hydraulic fluids. and neither vents to the atmosphere,

The suspension difference between the S and 3..

On my S I could rest my head against the headrest on the highway. On the 3, the seat will smack your head on the same highway.

I preferred the ride in the S... quick, someone make something so the 3 rides as smooth...

Funny, I think the suspension on the 3 is too soft and should have been firmer from the factory. Any softer and I wouldn’t have bought it. As it is, I am going to change it out to make it firmer.