Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hype and Competition [Regarding competing EVs]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have a M3LR on order with an expected delivery of late November/mid December. I am not here to bash Tesla because Tesla is certainly advanced beyond other manufacturers. With that said, seeing what's coming down the pipeline from other car manufacturers makes me want to pause.....that along with the potential EV credit. The Volkswagen ID5 and even the Audi etron has my attention. If they can begin to match the battery range of Tesla I think Tesla will have some real competition. Please chime in with opinions and thoughts, I would love to hear opinions from people who have been on board with this longer than me. Thanks

I currently have a M3LR on order with an expected delivery of late November/mid December. I am not here to bash Tesla because Tesla is certainly advanced beyond other manufacturers. With that said, seeing what's coming down the pipeline from other car manufacturers makes me want to pause.....that along with the potential EV credit. The Volkswagen ID5 and even the Audi etron has my attention. If they can begin to match the battery range of Tesla I think Tesla will have some real competition. Please chime in with opinions and thoughts, I would love to hear opinions from people who have been on board with this longer than me. Thanks
There are several concept cars that I find very attractive and appealing but until they are built, they are not real options. I’ll consider something other than my Tesla once the options truly exist AND the charging infrastructure is at least on par with the supercharger network.

There are several concept cars that I find very attractive and appealing but until they are built, they are not real options. I’ll consider something other than my Tesla once the options truly exist AND the charging infrastructure is at least on par with the supercharger network.
You have great points and there is something to be said about Tesla's consistent ability to stay ahead of other competitors in many ways, including charging!

Reactions: ss71
I've owned a M3LR for just over a year and am very happy with it. But I still keep checking out the competition. So far, I haven't seen a single EV car that impresses me as much as my M3. The two biggest factors in favor of the M3 are range and easy charging while on long trips. I live in New England and in cold weather the range of any EV drops considerably, so the M3's greater range and the ease of charging on road trips makes it the clear choice. That's just an objective fact, but their are plenty of other more subjective reasons too.

Reactions: alexgr
we just bought 2 new Teslas (1 each YLR and 3LR) after comparing all the currently available alternatives to our 2 year old M3. Some looked quite nice, including the Volvo and Mustang-E. But everyone we looked at was either more expensive for a very similar vehicle, or had significantly less range / performance / amenities compared to the Teslas for the same price.

I’m psyched to see competition, driving innovation and eventually lower prices, but I wasn’t convinced to gamble on a new manufacturer of electrics, likely to have their own teething pains.
clearly building good electric cars is more complicated than just dropping a new power train in an existing vehicle, or else everyone would have already done that.

Reactions: FiteFire
Congratulations on your soon-to-be delivered Tesla. I suggest you drive it for a few months, and then go check other available options. In every car on the market the UI is obsolete by over 10 years IMHO compared to Tesla. This problem (of UI with complete OTA updates and flawless hardware management) is not solvable without homogenizing electronics. This can't be done without partying ways with many old suppliers producing the same golden $hit they did for Studebakers in WWII. And that is not going to happened with good ol' boys in charge of Ford, GM (with some good ol' girls), etc.

Reactions: FiteFire
I got a Tesla (Model 3 LR) because I wanted to part company with legacy car manufacturers. I’m tired of their dealer networks and the way they treat you once you’ve signed the dotted line. My experience is their electronics are the feeblest part of their whole supply chain and manufacture and the least part their mechanics are competent on. I could not imagine having an entirely electronic car from the likes of Volvo. But taking money for their work is extremely efficient.
I’m willing to give the new kid on the block a chance and the promise of no more dealer servicing is as exciting to me as giving up fossil fuel.

have had our 2021 M3AwdLr for two months, Previous to the we tried the Mustang-e and the VWid.4. M3 was an obvious choice for the Tesla charging network, comfor and speed, etc.
The Rivian R1T looks very good..chargeing network not up and running, price considerably higher than the M3, as is the Lucid.
Give it a few years. I am in the minority as far as using any tax credits. Retired and living on savings.

Congratulations on your soon-to-be delivered Tesla. I suggest you drive it for a few months, and then go check other available options. In every car on the market the UI is obsolete by over 10 years IMHO compared to Tesla. This problem (of UI with complete OTA updates and flawless hardware management) is not solvable without homogenizing electronics. This can't be done without partying ways with many old suppliers producing the same golden $hit they did for Studebakers in WWII. And that is not going to happened with good ol' boys in charge of Ford, GM (with some good ol' girls), etc.
Man that's some real world, brutally honest feedback right there! Acknowledged! Thank you I appreciate your comments and opinion.

Here in Europe we have tons of great competitors:
Renault just introduced their new light weight Megane compact hatch to compete with Cupra born and ID.3.

ID.4 has a range a tad lower than a EU Model Y, charges at the same pace and has a much more comfortable ride. First OTA has been deployed also. That car feels very modern with matrix lights, AR HUD, 360 cams etc. Travel Assist is imo better tha AP3 EU version I had in my 21 Model 3 facelift. Skoda Enyaq and Q4 etron also great sister models.

BMW i4 is a Model 3 with sublime ride quality according to testers. The BMW iX has excellent comfort. I have just driven it) but lacks luggage space compared to an X. i5 is in testing phase.

Ioniq 5 and Kia EV6 is popular and comfy. Great charging speeds.

Mercedes has many models in production; EQA, EQB, EQC, EQE, EQS, EQV.

Audi and Porsche have new models in final testing, both SUVs and sedans.

But no cars are perfect. Tesla have some great features but some shortcomings also. Same with the other brands. We have almost abundant DC chargers, and Supercharger network being opened, that problem is solved.

Last edited:
I think Kia and Hyundai are making some compelling options, smartly designed vehicles, 800v, bi-directional charging. And that their next offerings will be full sized SUVs, which is still a bit of an untouched market for SUVs, gives them an chunky ICE market segment to chip away at.

We are waiting for our awd model 3, just sold our SR+. (acceleration aside, the AWD is much more planted and fun to drive IMO - just test drove one today).

During our wait we have been thinking the same, but ultimately love the Model 3, and the supercharger network seals the deal. (owned a CCS charged EV and the network is far far behind)