Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hype Machine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long is it until the ZAP execs are prosecuted by the feds? I'm not knowledgeable about securities law, but something smacks of criminal intent there. It's a well written and thorough story.

Wired chronologized exactly what everyone suspected, but supported it. Anyone that reads that story will no doubt walk the other direction. So what will ZAP do? Declare bankruptcy [again]? Sell out [cheaply] to another competitor [Mr. Papp]? Create a shell company?

The Zap-X is a darn good looking car, and Lotus is tied to it. Arguably, Zap has an interest in that car. I'd think SOMEONE out there would be interested in buying the idea...

The Zap-X is a darn good looking car

Same here. I've always thought ZAP-X would be a vehicle in a class all it's own.

ZAP may have good intentions but not a great business model. The articles point to Tesla as a positive example of realistic range and recharge time given today's technology.

And yet he still exists: ::MOLLER::. It's been my personal experience with cons that unless someone with time and money, AND willpower, chooses to independently bring someone like Moller down, these guys linger out there forever. We had just that happen with a local guy around town that sold property to people in a screwy land sale arrangement. Lessees thought they were buying homes, and essentially this guy would evict the tenant after so many years even without cause. It wasn't my case and I can't speak to details, but I do know even lawyers around town were afraid of him because he knew just enough legal loopholes to be dangerous. We ended up with a $60-80K judgment and he was deemed a vexatious litigatior, but not before even I was sued (TWICE) just for being employed at my firm. This and of course years of litigation and tens of thousands of dollars of cash fronted by my firm's partner. Same deal with these nuts. They know enough to be dangerous.

Tesla has the very best electric car that is available, its the reason the Tesla Roadster has been capturing peoples hearts and imagination.

Back to the same story, the sooner Tesla starts to deliver Roadsters, the sooner Tesla gets in the car business the better it will be. The more compelling the leadership position will be for Tesla.

Today its very easy to create an image, build hype, and whatever else goes along with it. Every major auto show takes a green twist, every manufacturer talks green, every one as a pilot project here or there to promote their interests.

The Tesla Roadster creates an halo for many folks, other manufacturers, and reinforces the credibility in electric cars.

I completely agree with you AGR, the Roadster is a perfect Halo car, but as most Halo cars it's actual sales volume and value is rather limited. Nothing wrong with that in many ways, as the exclusivity is kind of what makes it a successfull Halo car. But as has been mentioned, releasing the new Whitestar on the same day as the CARB meeting would sort of underscore the point Tesla is making, that these new cars are here, NOW. Not possibly in 2015, but right here and right now. Both Think and Tesla is mass-producing cars right now with lots of buyers.

Cobos

(the fact that I really really want to see the Whitestar of course has nothing to do with this advice :) )

I completely agree with you AGR, the Roadster is a perfect Halo car, but as most Halo cars it's actual sales volume and value is rather limited. Nothing wrong with that in many ways, as the exclusivity is kind of what makes it a successfull Halo car. But as has been mentioned, releasing the new Whitestar on the same day as the CARB meeting would sort of underscore the point Tesla is making, that these new cars are here, NOW. Not possibly in 2015, but right here and right now. Both Think and Tesla is mass-producing cars right now with lots of buyers.

Cobos

(the fact that I really really want to see the Whitestar of course has nothing to do with this advice :) )

Interesting take Cobos. Wonder if any of the EV manufacturers are delaying any big announcements till Thursday's CARB meeting. That would shut the naysayers up, wouldn't it?

The reality of any mass production electric car will be the affordability of the car, accompanied by how much additional money the avarage consumer is willing to spend.

That anyone announces whatever at whatever time there are the folks in the EV camp that create a lot of PR noise with limited substance. The folks in the ICE camp (established manufacturers) that are covering all the green angles and create a different PR noise.

The consumer will say does it make sense for me to spend XX for this vehicle when I can get this other vehicle for X put the difference in my bank account.

The increased cost of making diesel powered light duty trucks comply with the new regulations has brought gasoline engines in the forefront again....carbon footprint takes a back seat to saving money.

Its nice to talk about being green, having to pay for it is a different story...you can get this ICE car for 25K and the EV version is 35K what will the average consumer do?

I do agree that for someone to buy an EV car it should make economic sense. But you have to keep in mind that there are a lot of factors that are not directly price related. Comparing the Prius to the Corolla sales I'm pretty sure you'll find out even with the rising US prices you will never make up the difference in price or at least not within a reasonable timeframe.
People are also arguably willing to put a significant amount of cash into something for some economically strange reasons, i.e. buying a Mercedes E class sedan instead of the Corolla.
I've mentioned a few times that in Norway the price difference between the ICE car and the EV version is generally in the EVs favor, so your point about price is not valid everywhere. And the state can make certain concessions to EV that are not really economic. In Norway the EVs can drive in our HOV lanes (which usually only allows EVs, motorcycles and busses and taxis, not high occupancy ICE cars). For someone living in the feeder towns of Oslo that does save you around 30-45 minutes of commuter time each day. And it also means you can get up whenever you like as you don't have to beat the rush every morning.
So the point I'm trying to make is that a pure economic minded need for transportation is often covered with a bare bones option and then you can also cover a certain want with more money. Assuming you can realistically pay for them both of course. For many people being green is worth more than directly saved in gas, just how much more depends on the person.

Cobos