Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hyper Engineering Sure Start in my 3 Ton A/C unit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sometimes I think you’re working against yourself. Like in one hand you’ll say you’re harmed then in the other you make the situation seem like a possible misunderstanding.

Don’t outsmart the system. Stick with facts and things you know.

You entered into agreement for a product that contractually promised to give you solar and a whole home backup.

You allowed Tesla full access to whatever they needed to understand your home.

You received from Tesla a design proposal that was a whole home backup to your understanding.

You attempted to discus your air conditioner with Tesla during the process, lending support to a claim that AC was of importance to you.

Tesla delivered their diagramed solution as they drew up.

The diagramed solution does not backup an important part of your home.

You can either say your damage is either …

1) the diminished value of your system since it’s not working as it should and never will within reason.

2) the cost / repair to make it work as it should in a way that seems realistic and possible. Focus on ideas that will work instead of ideas that may work.

Lay out these points clearly and go find someone who can help you. Arbitration, the SEIA, California consumer protection groups, small claims, etc. good luck!
I understand what you are saying and I'm not saying it is a misunderstanding. To me, it is obvious that the system was intended to backup the AC. No misunderstanding. And my saying I don't consider it their fault doesn't mean it isn't their responsibility. It's like if a supplier component failed in a Powerwall. It isn't Tesla's fault (unless they didn't have adequate controls in place) but it is their responsibility to fix it.

But I'm also trying to show that I'm reasonable about the situation. I got the Powerwalls through the SGIP program because I'm on a well in a high fire risk zone so they didn't cost me anything. And Tesla has offered my $1k if I accept the load shedding offer which I could put towards making the system work better. So if I do wind up in arbitration I want it to be clear I'm not just not out to get more for nothing. I'm attempting to be reasonable about accepting a compromise that will work but I am getting to the end of my rope.

@RKCRLR I am so sorry to hear this saga. I am sure that you are in the right. Tesla clearly attempted to wire your AC into the backup panels and they installed a Sure-Start.

Great! You are in the right.

What do you want? What would a new AC unit cost you? Tesla has proposed a fix for $5k. How much is your time worth per hour? How long would arbitration or small claims court take you? How aggravated would you be during, and as a result of, going through the whole process? Tesla seems to be very good at stringing things along, as the whole solar roof contract episode vividly demonstrated, so you could be at this for a long while.

I guess that for me, personally, I would file this one in the "you have the moral high ground, but pick your battles" by buying that third Powerwall, or installing a new "standard" AC.

Sorry.

Then again, I have friends who love a fight, and it doesn't stress them one bit. YMMV...

All the best,

BG