TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Hyperloop In Oil Pipelines

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by TheTalkingMule, Jul 16, 2018.

1. TheTalkingMule

TheTalkingMule Distributed Energy Enthusiast

Question....as they become obsolete for their intended purpose, could I lose 30 pounds and recline in a hyperloop style solo vessel to ride through an oil pipeline? Perhaps just for children and old ladies?

Just brainstorming another use for these things.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

Well, that's creative (though Bond did it a while back.)

I don't know enough of the oil pipe engineering details to know for certain. The hyperloop concept depends on building a vacuum in the pipes; in oil service they've been holding positive pressures, so the seals may be the wrong type, and it is possible the walls aren't up to the task (though I'd expect them to be sturdy enough.)

Obviously you'd need to make significant additions or retrofits at the stations, and the fact that different pipelines are different diameters will be inconvenient in terms of design/development costs.

• Like x 1
  3. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

Maybe time sensitive cargo...

4. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

But who on earth wants to go UP to Prudhoe Bay?

5. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

Elon should visit... I bet they have terrible cell service...

6. Lasairfion

Lasairfion Member

I still remember when our local cooperative grocery store had vacuum tubes to send money and documents to the office.

I think reusing old oil pipelines as a fast cargo delivery service could be pretty cool!

7. voyager

voyager Member

The Living Daylights! Timothy Dalton as 007.

A vacuum tube is another ballgame. Reminds me of Myth Busters. The tanker never made it to zero atmosphere pressure on the inside.

• Informative x 2
  8. JulienW

JulienW Member

Looks like (not) fun.
    Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 6.12.26 PM.png