TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Hyperloop Petition to White House

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by Curt Renz, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

2. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Ehh, why not. At least it's written better than the dealership proposal.

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Governments love to spend money. No need for a petition to ask them to do so.

4. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

Yes, but we would like them to spend the money on something more interesting.

5. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

I'm not sure I want the Government involved in the Hyperloop.

6. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

I sure don't. California is already proposing a rail system.

People are way to anxious to get our federal government involved in things they don't need to be.

7. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Start the Kickstarter to buy enough land from LA to SF so it isn't on gov't owned land then...
    Then start another Kickstarter to fund R&D on Hyperloop.

8. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

Indeed, something other than wars like the folly in which they involved me in Vietnam. President Eisenhower asked Congress to provide initial funding for an interstate highway system. It has been a great boon to motorists, truckers and the national economy.

9. daveruns

daveruns Member

#9 daveruns, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
    On second thought

Signed it, but still waiting for a response to the Tesla car dealership issue. Maybe they really want a million signatures?

Actually, I would prefer that the government stay out of it and simply cancel the high speed rail. They will just make a mess of it. Once that is cancelled, then Elon or someone else might run with the idea. But I think we would be better off with nothing than a $68 billion dollar and rising train line.

10. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Clearly you're speaking for yourself. I wouldn't. I'd like them to stop. I've got my debts in order. I wish my country did.

- - - Updated - - -

While I respect (and often agree) with your thoughts on many things, I disagree with you here.

My interpretation of what you said, then simplified:
    I strongly disagree. Instead:
    Tying "stop A" & "start B" is often how "fail" begins in politics.

- - - Updated - - -

Agree.

11. deonb

deonb Active Member

So does this mean you're not filing for the $7500 federal tax rebate on your Model S?

12. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Apples. Oranges.

Not taking my money vs. spending my money they've already taken. For example.

13. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

14. deonb

deonb Active Member

Yes, but other money they've already taken from you is also being used to pay $7500 each to a million other buyers of EV's.

But just on pure finances, the Hyperloop is the best way to get the $60b CA high-speed rail killed.

I bet if there was a $100m prototype that showed it was possible, and then immediately after you re-vote on Prop 1A (2008) in CA, asking people if they still want it, it will kill the high-speed rail project. Isn't that alone reason to do it?

15. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Incorrect. If I don't charge you $10 to read the forum, that doesn't mean I gave you $10.

16. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

Back to the petition, why aren't people calling their California legislators about it? California is obviously planning on spending way more on the rail system, even if they are getting federal help with that, I imagine they won't need the federal help on Hyperloop since it is so much cheeper.

17. lorih

lorih Member

I love the idea of the hyperloop, but I gotta go with some of the other folks on this forum regarding keeping Government (Federal or State) out of it. Government can't do this effectively, it would cost 10x as much and take 10x as long. And that would be if it was already existing technology (In CA you can just look to the bridge upgrades and BART extension as examples).

I think the only way this can happen is with private funds and private oversight. (Maybe Elon with Branson as someone else on TMC suggested, or Elon and ET3?) Keep in mind, there isn't even a working prototype, and Elon himself said it would take1-2 years to get working prototype, 7 years to implementation if he did it, and I really only trust him to do something so radical. But as such at Tesla fan, I DON'T want him taking on another project!

I do however believe we should keep the political process open, so even though I won't sign, I did forwarded to someone outside TMC that might be interested in signing. One of the nice thing about TMC and (at least theoretically, if not practically) in US is that we have free speech, and the right to free political participation to all members (citizens).

18. Jackl1956

Jackl1956 Member

I signed today at #103.