Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hypermiling records?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone gone out and done some weekend testing to see what kind of range you can get with the Model 3?

400 miles should be easy and 500 not too difficult at reduced speed.

Once I get mine I plan on trying to book time at an independent auto testing facility and having autopilot drive me at 25mph for as many miles as possible...hopefully setting a world record both for range and longest distance with autopilot continuously engaged.

Autopilot accelerates and brakes too rapidly to set any energy consumption records. It is useful for tailgating trucks (but you really, really have to trust it as this practice is quite dangerous when done manually.)

Has anyone gone out and done some weekend testing to see what kind of range you can get with the Model 3?

400 miles should be easy and 500 not too difficult at reduced speed.

Once I get mine I plan on trying to book time at an independent auto testing facility and having autopilot drive me at 25mph for as many miles as possible...hopefully setting a world record both for range and longest distance with autopilot continuously engaged.
Check out Teslanomics the did a test from San Diego to Vegas. Didn’t make it to Vegas nor 300 miles. It’s interesting.

Yeah. I'm talking about a true hypermiling effort. This wouldn't be a practical test, just a record attempt at greatly reduced speed.
It's not really about speed, that is just one component. It's about when to reduce speed and when to increase speed. No automated system made today has a clue about this. It's also about alignment, terrain, road construction, wind, traffic, and an educated food. There is a lot more to it, then just speed. Also I dislike the term hypermiling because it implies some dangerous practices. Good results can be obtained without using those.

Autopilot accelerates and brakes too rapidly to set any energy consumption records. It is useful for tailgating trucks (but you really, really have to trust it as this practice is quite dangerous when done manually.)
Does the mode 3 have chill mode? How about a lower setting for regen braking? I found this useful on trips with our S.

It's not really about speed, that is just one component. It's about when to reduce speed and when to increase speed. No automated system made today has a clue about this. It's also about alignment, terrain, road construction, wind, traffic, and an educated food. There is a lot more to it, then just speed. Also I dislike the term hypermiling because it implies some dangerous practices. Good results can be obtained without using those.
I believe the OP is talking about using a closed course like a test track oval to just set the speed and let it drive on AP. There is no danger and if he wants to drive for 20 hours at 25 mph, that would be his choice.

Reactions: ratsbew
True but he also had 20" aftermarket rims and tires on with climate control at 70 F.

This is interesting to me. I read/viewed that experiment with a little alarm. In addition to the aftermarket rims, I believe he also lowered his car with aftermarket springs. In my book he couldn't really test anything since he had no baseline with stock trim. Logically, with no baseline, we can't know whether he got better mileage or worse mileage with those changes. I would suspect worse, particularly with lowering the car.

I believe race drivers lower the body to create suction to hold to the track at high speeds and enhance control. That suction only comes with the expending of energy. Again, can't have much of an idea if the lowered car resulted in the loss of range because there is no base line. If the change of wheel covers can impact the range by ~ 5% then it suggests that other body or suspension changes may have an effect.

A large part of TESLA is the elevation of tech over cosmetics. It seems silly IMO to revert to cosmetics where it works against core engineering and in particular when it might involve the very real and dreaded "range anxiety". It would be nice if cosmetic alterations transparently reported any impact of efficiency.

The other thing I consider is that tinkering with the efficiency of the vehicle as part of an appearance upgrade, is the added continuous burden on efficiency that is paid with every mile driven (if efficiency is lowered) and therefore a persistent associated cost. Maybe I should spend my farkle budget on interior upgrades and leave external sparkles alone unless there is a clear efficiency benefit, again IMO.

Reactions: dhrivnak
This is interesting to me. I read/viewed that experiment with a little alarm. In addition to the aftermarket rims, I believe he also lowered his car with aftermarket springs. In my book he couldn't really test anything since he had no baseline with stock trim. Logically, with no baseline, we can't know whether he got better mileage or worse mileage with those changes. I would suspect worse, particularly with lowering the car.

I believe race drivers lower the body to create suction to hold to the track at high speeds and enhance control. That suction only comes with the expending of energy. Again, can't have much of an idea if the lowered car resulted in the loss of range because there is no base line. If the change of wheel covers can impact the range by ~ 5% then it suggests that other body or suspension changes may have an effect.

A large part of TESLA is the elevation of tech over cosmetics. It seems silly IMO to revert to cosmetics where it works against core engineering and in particular when it might involve the very real and dreaded "range anxiety". It would be nice if cosmetic alterations transparently reported any impact of efficiency.

The other thing I consider is that tinkering with the efficiency of the vehicle as part of an appearance upgrade, is the added continuous burden on efficiency that is paid with every mile driven (if efficiency is lowered) and therefore a persistent associated cost. Maybe I should spend my farkle budget on interior upgrades and leave external sparkles alone unless there is a clear efficiency benefit, again IMO.
If you did watch the whole vid he did point out his mods and that they may have had a major impact on the mileage.. but, it still gives you a look. He did hit a high 200 but was still pretty far out of Vegas. Considering all the potential impacts on mileage like climate, elevation, speed, etc. I think it will be hard to get a dead on mileage read. Just saying..

"Considering all the potential impacts on mileage like climate, elevation, speed, etc. I think it will be hard to get a dead on mileage read. Just saying.."

I completely agree. Yes, it is difficult but it is mostly registering exceptions like headwinds etc. What Ben did was interesting and I hope he continues to examine what happened. At one point he seems to suggest that the predicted range dropped more than 20 miles while he had a 1.5 hr lunch. There is something going on here, is it temperature? Is the car keeping the AC going to keep the cabin temp in a safe range, Ben has children I believe, or has the battery warmed and the computer adjusted the range based on the current battery temperature. Are there other batteries being charged off the traction battery? Only Ben can resolve some of these things. I suspect he is curious about this also.

My honest expectation would be that they would have met or exceeded 310 miles but instead he came up 7% short. Could AutoPilot be consuming this extra power? Do the batteries need a little conditioning to reach full performance? This is presented as a "real world battery test" but I think _think_ that this is not the case. I don't have a 3 in stock form to compare experiences but perhaps someone will. Ben took the caution to arrange for towing to be available so he thought this out, I hope he continues to examine the cause of the short fall because many will consider it of significance IMO.

With our 2013 Nissan Leaf my wife and I spent all night doing a 100% range test at 65 mph on the freeway. After we died on the freeway we had the tow truck take us to the Fast Charger at the Nissan dealer so we could charge up to 80%, then switch over to the L-2 to take it to 100%. We basically stopped at 99% so we could get started with the slow speed test. It was very early morning Sunday morning by then so we drove up to 35 mph, mostly in the 20 to 25 mph, on fairly level ground.

We ended up becoming Number 77 in the 100 mile club and Number 10 in the 200 KM club. It was a fun exercise with a 24 kwh battery, but would not want to repeat it in our Model 3D LR.

It’s really hard to search for “model 3 range” when looking for the best range results or record so far. Found lots of “long range” model 3 cars for sale... and this thread, but no answer.

Is there a thread somewhere showing the best reported range so far?

I expect 400 should be doable, though rarely necessary nor fun, but people want to know. Also curious if AP on Chill Mode would be good enough or if it would have to be driven manually... anyway, links to any other threads with results would be appreciated, thanks!

My wife and I did it in our 2013 Nissan Leaf SL when it was about 6-months old. With only a 24 kWh battery with 85 mile range we got over 126 miles, just over 200 kM. On the My Nissan Leaf forum we were Number 77 with over 100 miles and Number 10 with over 200 kM. We enjoyed doing it just to know what our Leaf would do, but NEVER AGAIN.

With a much larger battery I can not imagine anyone trying to "Go for the Record" unless they had a track somewhere and had multiple drivers that would trade off. You could spend up to 24 hours of driving to use up all the electrons in the LR battery.

Now, if you did have a track that had good lane markings to allow AP to drive for you, you could set the speed at various levels to find the most efficient. Once that speed was determined (the minimum speed for our AP is 18 mph) you could recharge to 100%, then start the test by setting the AP then just become a "passenger" while AP drove the car for the next 24 or so hours.

It would be interesting to see the results.

As an alternative, if you could find a flat, level track without wind you could drive on AP, then check efficiency for each speed. Within a few hours you would have the data to determine what speed gives the best range. With that data the max range could be calculated.

Then for real world experience you can choose a route to take and use the most efficient speed that would be safe on that route and go for it.

Good Luck.

Closed track, 30 mph, no climate control. And the battery would not recharge for whatever reason.
When you run the car all the way down until it stops, it opens the traction battery contactors to protect the traction battery. From then on, the car cannot maintain the 12V battery, so it was low. After the 12V was charged, the car would charge normally. That was done at the service center. They should have figured it out before towing it to the service center.