Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HyperVolt Charge Points [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, informative video. I would have liked to see the wiring into the consumer unit as that’s what I’m really interested in, but I gather this is his umpteenth charger and the wiring is already in. Still, I’m a bit clearer about what I need and the wall unit looks great.
If you electrician has the proper Part P certifications for fitting home chargepoints they will figure out what to do, if they don't then you should pay for someone that has proved themselves competent.

It will typically be a simple 32A MCB in the Consumer Unit* but the installer also should run a data cable back to connect a CT clamp (the right way round) to the feed from your meter and programme the Hypervolt to monitor total current. Jordan from above likes to use a special type of armored cable called EV Ultra that includes the data cable in the same wire.

* don't believe electrical safety advise you read on the internet.

Reactions: Pants
I’m really liking the Hypervolt. I imagine the data cable is probably mandatory and is a very good idea, though I very much doubt I’ll be in danger of overloading the supply. I have a 100A fuse and don’t have an electric shower or cooker so my usage won’t be massive. The ease of installation is a big plus point.

My Hypervolt app has just had an update and it looks like they are rolling out new firmware to chargers over the next 48h to enable the solar modes. They've also added current limiting to the app which was previously only available via the web dashboard.

Waiting for our hyper volt to be installed - fingers crossed next week if SSEN get moving. They seem really switched on, great service so far. The other great feature of their boxes to my mind is that they've stuffed a full Raspberry Pi in their latest units = great potential for future updates and additional OTA features. Makes it a no brainer in my mind because of the longevity of that when you consider the cost of the unit.

Waiting for our hyper volt to be installed - fingers crossed next week if SSEN get moving. They seem really switched on, great service so far. The other great feature of their boxes to my mind is that they've stuffed a full Raspberry Pi in their latest units = great potential for future updates and additional OTA features. Makes it a no brainer in my mind because of the longevity of that when you consider the cost of the unit.
If it's a Pi, doesn't that mean the OS will be on an SSD card that will wear out? BBC Click were banging on about Wallbox chargers being vulnerable as it also used a Pi. Can be physically accessed from outside your property with access to your wifi.

If it's a Pi, doesn't that mean the OS will be on an SSD card that will wear out? BBC Click were banging on about Wallbox chargers being vulnerable as it also used a Pi. Can be physically accessed from outside your property with access to your wifi.
Can't say i'm that worried about the reliability of SSD's these days. You're right though - I've read the TechCrunch article and there are physical access concerns about various smart chargers. Personally, as with any IoT or networked device, my feeling is that if the pros outweigh the cons, you just ring fence devices that are more vulnerable. The tradeoff is worth it to me as I'll separate the unit from the rest of our home network. Those points considered, the risk is low really. People who don't have the time to get into those details are IMO far far more likely to be phished for their network credentials anyway than have any kind of physical attack on their home. Just my two pence worth!

I’ve also just called them and ordered a Home 2 for installation by my own electrician. They told me there’s about a four week lead time on the black unit, so I’m expecting delivery mid October.
I'm wanting the grey/black cover too - have been told by my installer that the coloured panel is changeable anyway, so we might go ahead with a white unit and then change to grey afterwards when they have some stock.

Reactions: markgyork
C42752C2-18D4-4A7A-829F-B53BABFFFEDF.jpeg
Mine was installed today, all looks fine.

Booked through Hypervolt themselves with a local fitter. No drama, £689 fitted with the 7.5m cable.

It’s set to disco lights 🕺

I just called Hypervolt for new installation for M3LR I will get in Nov. Seems I need to hold the installation until I we see what Tesla is changing in Charging Port.
I'm curious ... because I don't know what they mean. I haven't heard anything about Tesla changing the charging port! You can guarantee it will remain Type 2 and CCS. There may be software changes but nobody can predict that (even Tesla).

I'm curious ... because I don't know what they mean. I haven't heard anything about Tesla changing the charging port! You can guarantee it will remain Type 2 and CCS. There may be software changes but nobody can predict that (even Tesla).
A few people have reported being unable to get the HyperVolt socket to stay locked into the charging port. It appears the locking mechanism may have a tolerance which means it can sometimes not align with the hole in the HyperVolt plug.

A few people have reported being unable to get the HyperVolt socket to stay locked into the charging port. It appears the locking mechanism may have a tolerance which means it can sometimes not align with the hole in the HyperVolt plug.

That's a new one on me ... given that all the other Type 2 cable connectors seem to work OK it would appear that it's up to Hypervolt to make a change if theirs isn't working.

I'll take your word for it ... I don't do Facebook ... cancelled my account many many years ago.
I've put below what the CEO posted on Facebook.

!!!IMPORTANT!!! For customers taking deliveries of their new Model 3s from 2nd of September onwards, King Elon has prepared a surprise.

He decided the majority of chargers, cables, and standard lock-latch systems shouldn't be compatible anymore with anything delivered so far, which is a wonderful thing that we are all celebrating
🙂

Humour aside, we know about this as we have received a few complaints on Saturday from a few fresh Model 3/Hypervolt owners, which we never have before.

A Hypervolt team was dispatch Sunday morning to a few customers, on inspection our team found unusual dent marks on Tesla's own granny charger. The granny charger was considerably easier to slot it and it charged the car, however it's not normal to develop scratches and require pull strength after 1 day of normal use. The tolerances on the latch system have slightly changed, we are only talking about millimetres, but enough to give everyone a hard time.

This impacts home chargers, not the supercharging network or anything else, we do not speak on behalf of Tesla in any way, and it's likely they have adjusted tolerances, which have affected cables we get only from a specific supplier.

Please make sure when ordering a Hypervolt through us or installers to specify you're a Model 3 customer. Older models delivered before this/last week do not have this issue.

We are using new cables that have resolved the problem for customers, and we want to make sure the correct model of cable will be sent to you if you have a Tesla Model 3.