Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HyperVolt Charge Points [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had our (white) Hypervolt installed this week; hoping I made the right colour choice as some of the all black pics I've seen here look brilliant. Absolutely made up with the charger and the finish that our installers were able to achieve.

Oh, and no issues with the charger/charge port locking incorrectly.

Total cost was £755 all in including the OLEV grant.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been having a few issues connecting my Hypervolt Charger plug as mentioned in other posts. The car tries to lock the plug but it takes several attempts (4 or 5) before it locks on. Once locked it charges with no problem. I raised the issue with Hypervolt who said that the issue is linked to a changed spec implemented by Tesla which affects some M3s - mine is a M3 SR+ MIC collected on 4th Sept. To their credit, they agreed to replace the cable and plug with a new one with a slightly different design (the latch holes appear marginally different). The cable arrived within 48 hrs of raising the issue and the electrician will be swapping it over next week - all at no cost to me. I am really impressed with the standard of customer care received from Hypervolt.

5D53688C-6D5D-4333-8562-AB224FC751F5.jpeg
Black Hypervolt just installed - guys at Morrell EV did a great job. Very pleased with how clean they managed to install it (inside and out).

Loving the charger so far - very easy to set up and has worked flawlessly. Hypervolt just need to sort out the tarrif stuff in their app (apparently going to be sorted by the end of the year) and they’ll be one of best offerings out there (in my humble opinion 😙)

We’ve had it doing it’s nightclub impression and the Union Jack pattern (which actually looks a bit like the tricolour too sometimes so was turned off just in case to avoid potential embarrassment - sacre bleu!)

I see the rotary switch for ALM can be set to indicate no CT clamp is installed. This would be useful for me because I wouldn’t need to add a data cable to the 6mm cable that is already in place. Load monitoring is a great idea, but I have a 100A fuse and no electric cooker or electric shower so my usage is fairly minimal. I’m sure I can manage without ALM.

I see the rotary switch for ALM can be set to indicate no CT clamp is installed. This would be useful for me because I wouldn’t need to add a data cable to the 6mm cable that is already in place. Load monitoring is a great idea, but I have a 100A fuse and no electric cooker or electric shower so my usage is fairly minimal. I’m sure I can manage without ALM.
Doesn’t load monitoring also protect your charger and your car though?

Can't say i'm that worried about the reliability of SSD's these days. You're right though - I've read the TechCrunch article and there are physical access concerns about various smart chargers. Personally, as with any IoT or networked device, my feeling is that if the pros outweigh the cons, you just ring fence devices that are more vulnerable. The tradeoff is worth it to me as I'll separate the unit from the rest of our home network. Those points considered, the risk is low really. People who don't have the time to get into those details are IMO far far more likely to be phished for their network credentials anyway than have any kind of physical attack on their home. Just my two pence worth!
The issue is that without any secure storage, there can't be any secrets on the device. Not just your network credentials but access to the cloud services too. Secure storage on dedicated IoT devices is pretty standard.

The issue is that without any secure storage, there can't be any secrets on the device. Not just your network credentials but access to the cloud services too. Secure storage on dedicated IoT devices is pretty standard.
What cloud services would be accessible through the device if it’s ringfenced?

Doesn’t load monitoring also protect your charger and your car though?

I can't think how it would protect the charge point and car. It's just to save your overall mains supply from tripping out. It benefits the charge point in that it can continue charging (albeit at a lower speed) rather than stopping completely should the supply trip out.

Hi all, hope this is the right thread! I'm looking at setting up a Hypervolt charge point at my house (I live in Edinburgh). Can anyone let me know if this is suitable with a Model 3 LR and I'd be really grateful for any forum hints and tricks that would be useful for a complete novice like me!

I did speak to someone really helpful from Bumblebee EV today so I'm likely to use them for installation. I have single phase power and a 60amp fuse.

Hi all, hope this is the right thread! I'm looking at setting up a Hypervolt charge point at my house (I live in Edinburgh). Can anyone let me know if this is suitable with a Model 3 LR and I'd be really grateful for any forum hints and tricks that would be useful for a complete novice like me!

I did speak to someone really helpful from Bumblebee EV today so I'm likely to use them for installation. I have single phase power and a 60amp fuse.

It's one of the favoured charge points at the moment. Ultimately they all do a very similar job but a handy app and extra "load balancing" features can be helpful (the Hypervolt has these). Your 60 amp fuse may turn out to be an issue. Ask your installer. You may get away with it because the Hypervolt can monitor your house consumption which would allow it to back off if you were coming close to your limit during charging.

Hi,should all be good, I use a M3LR with my hypervolt on a 60amp circuit, and as there is a grid current sensing facility it should not cause you any major issues.
Hypervolt have legendary customer support also...just a satisfied user.

Reactions: Casss
It's one of the favoured charge points at the moment. Ultimately they all do a very similar job but a handy app and extra "load balancing" features can be helpful (the Hypervolt has these). Your 60 amp fuse may turn out to be an issue. Ask your installer. You may get away with it because the Hypervolt can monitor your house consumption which would allow it to back off if you were coming close to your limit during charging.
Thanks, my installer said he could apply to my grid supplier to upgrade the fuse on my behalf if I decide I want to do that.
Hi,should all be good, I use a M3LR with my hypervolt on a 60amp circuit, and as there is a grid current sensing facility it should not cause you any major issues.
Hypervolt have legendary customer support also...just a satisfied user.
Thank you - this is really reassuring! I think I will go for it :)

My HyperVolt was originally installed without the CT clamp, this was added later when I had solar fitted.

Reactions: Pants

Hypervolt are great 👍 just don’t hang about with your DNO / installer if you want one anytime soon

Hi @jon8oy86 - happy to confirm I have a Hypervolt 2.0 charge point installed for my 2021 M3LR and it works a treat. Brilliant charger and app.

I made a video of the install if you’re interested. Just lookup ‘thatmarkgilroy’ on YouTube and it’s one of my latest videos.

Well worth booking it in soon as the government OLEV grant won’t be around forever.

Hi @jon8oy86 - happy to confirm I have a Hypervolt 2.0 charge point installed for my 2021 M3LR and it works a treat. Brilliant charger and app.

I made a video of the install if you’re interested. Just lookup ‘thatmarkgilroy’ on YouTube and it’s one of my latest videos.

Well worth booking it in soon as the government OLEV grant won’t be around forever.
Hi Mark, thanks! That's good to know. It certainly looks nice haha. I've made my application to EST for the additional grant we get in Scotland which is first step after receiving quote, I'm told that installation can be arranged a few days after approval of that grant. Approval process is supposed to take up to 8 working days so hopefully I will know my install date by close of next week.

Reactions: markgyork
Hypervolt units in the U.K. had an OTA firmware update last night. Ours didn’t schedule charge as it should have, quick call to brilliant customer service and all sorted with a clear and reboot from their end.

New colours added to the led modes recently also (Halloween, red alert and turbo boost which looks very KITT like!) 😙