Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HyperVolt Charge Points [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, has anyone experienced an issue communicating with Hypervolt 2.0 unit? Mines been working fine, but today is stuck on lock. When I try to unlock through the app it gives me the message "There was a problem communicating with your charger, please verify your network". Slight panic! I've checked and my home wifi network is working perfectly. I've tried on 3 x different mobile devices, same result. I've done it standing right next to the charger - nothing. Any ideas?

Reactions: Andrew_SE23
Hi all, has anyone experienced an issue communicating with Hypervolt 2.0 unit? Mines been working fine, but today is stuck on lock. When I try to unlock through the app it gives me the message "There was a problem communicating with your charger, please verify your network". Slight panic! I've checked and my home wifi network is working perfectly. I've tried on 3 x different mobile devices, same result. I've done it standing right next to the charger - nothing. Any ideas?
Yes, I had exactly this on Tuesday. I power cycled the unit (using the breaker) and it solved the issue.

I’ve had it a number of times since the unit was installed a couple of months ago. I’d occasionally look into the app the have a play (didn’t have the car then, so nothing else to do!) and it would often be totally unresponsive. Reboot via the breaker always brought it back. I contacted Hypervolt and they pushed a firmware update which was supposed to improve network resilience, but since picking the car up a couple days ago, it has needed rebooting twice.

The only thing that struck me was that the car (obviously parked right next to it) couldn’t see the home Wi-Fi to connect to. I’m wondering if signal is also too weak for the Hypervolt. The main router is in the room the other side of the external wall, so not a big distance. I spent last night fitting up a router in the garage, which the car (and Hypervolt) can see. So I’m interested to see over the next days if the Hypervolt behaves.

To add for those who may not know this.

Apart from when you’re adopting your charger during initial set-up, (where you are linking your Hypervolt to your network/devices), like with the Tesla app, all other commands you give it are actually going to the Hypervolt servers first, which then communicate with your charger. With that in mind it’s worth making sure your device / the app are not causing the issue before resorting to flipping the breaker for your charger.

Also - for those with patchy Wi-Fi, extenders work great, or there is an onboard data socket (Ethernet, I think) which you can run a cable to if needed. It’s good to do this before the installer / you caulk up any of the holes used for routing the cables.

Well full install took place this morning, it went well and had the car plugged in for a about 5 minutes before I had to leave for work.
Now, my car has 105 miles on the clock, so to speak, I plugged it in and it started charging, popped my coat on, locked the house up to leave for work and spent 5 minutes trying to un plug the charger. Is it the car, the tesla app or hypervolt app? I tried all 3. Still not sure which unlocked it :)
Just back from work and plugged in, set to 80% so see what happens. It was 46% when plugged in. It's all a fun learning curve

Reactions: Staypuffman
Well full install took place this morning, it went well and had the car plugged in for a about 5 minutes before I had to leave for work.
Now, my car has 105 miles on the clock, so to speak, I plugged it in and it started charging, popped my coat on, locked the house up to leave for work and spent 5 minutes trying to un plug the charger. Is it the car, the tesla app or hypervolt app? I tried all 3. Still not sure which unlocked it :)
Just back from work and plugged in, set to 80% so see what happens. It was 46% when plugged in. It's all a fun learning curve
Not sure about the Hypervolt protocols but on the car side its simply a matter of 1. Stop charging 2. Release charge cable.

Reactions: Fury1
If you tell the charger to stop charging, the cable should stay locked in until you unlock it via the app or inside the car. Or you can tell the car to stop charging and then unlock it. Sometimes mine will unlock the charge cable when I tell it to stop charging, but not sure if the model 3 does that.

Reactions: Fury1
Not the best picture, but you get the idea :)

Attachments

• 20211223_200221.jpg
    20211223_200221.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 192
I have an intermittent issue unplugging my HyperVolt charger from the car. It appears to be worse on cold days. I know there was an issue with tolerances on the charging cables with some Tesla Model 3s and mine was in the time period they suggested but at the time, my charger was fine.

On Saturday night, I tried to unplug the cable and it wouldn't come out. I tried unlocking via the app and the car. I had to eventually use the pull cord inside the car. I raised a ticket with HV and they've asked for a video of the fault. Today it's warmer and every time I try it, it works okay :(

I have an intermittent issue unplugging my HyperVolt charger from the car. It appears to be worse on cold days. I know there was an issue with tolerances on the charging cables with some Tesla Model 3s and mine was in the time period they suggested but at the time, my charger was fine.

On Saturday night, I tried to unplug the cable and it wouldn't come out. I tried unlocking via the app and the car. I had to eventually use the pull cord inside the car. I raised a ticket with HV and they've asked for a video of the fault. Today it's warmer and every time I try it, it works okay :(
They should already know about this issue, considering there's a known fault with late-2021 Model 3's and the original cables they supplied with the unit. Others have had replacement cables sorted free of charge.

I've also had a problem disconnecting the hypervolt charger from the car. Sometimes both the app and the 'unlock charge port' will not release the cable, and sometimes either one or the other will work. Not had to use the cable release as yet, but something doesn't seem quite right. Do I need a replacement cable from hypervolt? Can you change the cable yourself?

Hypervolt should arrange the cable and the installation company to visit and replace it.

I’ve just had to email them, my cable is intermittently not locking into the port when I connect it to the car. I can’t fathom why they don’t ship the newer cables with the device out of the box. Such a faff to have to contact support and then have them out to replace the cable. Not exactly a great first impression.

Hypervolt should arrange the cable and the installation company to visit and replace it.

I’ve just had to email them, my cable is intermittently not locking into the port when I connect it to the car. I can’t fathom why they don’t ship the newer cables with the device out of the box. Such a faff to have to contact support and then have them out to replace the cable. Not exactly a great first impression.
Just guessing but they probably have a number of units already packed and in the hands of installers so that we all get our charger installs without having to wait weeks.

Going forward I’d imagine they will only be shipping out the newer cables.

How exactly is having to contact their brilliant support team a huge faff and not a great impression? Did they quibble? Or did they immediately arrange for a free replacement?

Just guessing but they probably have a number of units already packed and in the hands of installers so that we all get our charger installs without having to wait weeks.

Going forward I’d imagine they will only be shipping out the newer cables.

How exactly is having to contact their brilliant support team a huge faff and not a great impression? Did they quibble? Or did they immediately arrange for a free replacement?
It's a faff in that my installer ordered a brand new unit a few days before I had it installed (not two weeks ago). They've known since September that their units have issues with Model 3's - so why not ship units with the revised cable? Now I'm having to contact support (who are, in fairness, decent so far) and then have the electrician back - meaning I have to be home - to get it replaced. Likely a lead time on his availability.