Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HyperVolt Charge Points [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have bought the Hypervolt and a mounting post and will be getting the post mounted by my maintenance staff and the electrical installation done by an electrician. Not applying for any grants etc so don't care about costs! I have 3 phase but only getting a one phase system since it is not worth the trouble as the car can only charge at 11KWh anyway.

Every day is a learning day

There's a confusing array of options with regard to "breakers".

"A Residual Current Device (RCD) uses an electronic circuit to detect even the smallest imbalance between the live and neutral conductors and if it reaches a trigger level disconnects the circuit. Again this disconnect is in the order of milliseconds and RCD's can be specified to sense fault levels as low as 5mA ( typically 30mA ). In modern electrical circuits many devices contain filtering circuits for EMC compliance, some of these circuits contain deliberate 'Earth Leakage' leading to nuisance trips of RCD's."

However, a conventional overcurrent breaker (MCB) is nowadays often combined with an RCD into one device which is then referred to as an RCBO. An RCBO could trip because of an RCD fault or an overcurrent fault. An MCB only trips with overcurrent (the equivalent function of an old fashioned fuse wire).

Reactions: debrooker
Looks like there's no knobs or buttons on the Hypervolt so I presume every setting (on/off) has to be done via a cell phone?

Can you do that from anywhere or do you need to n=be near to it?

Can I do it (operate it) from my desk top PC?

Looks like there's no knobs or buttons on the Hypervolt so I presume every setting (on/off) has to be done via a cell phone?

Can you do that from anywhere or do you need to n=be near to it?

Can I do it (operate it) from my desk top PC?
to be honest, apart from physically plugging it in, there isn't much you need to manage, usually charging will be just on demand or on schedule - and once that's all set up then apart from changing things for big trips etc, I rarely even open the app.

Cloud based via WiFi connection. So control it from anywhere in the world.
Anywhere in the world so long as your network and cloud services are functioning I presume. I do find it handy to be able to look at settings on the charger itself (Zappi). Charge records or fault conditions can be read on the screen and detailed settings of the charger modified. However, it’s very true that 99% of the time your charge point just does its thing without any requirement for intervention.

So then is it likely an RCD issue that would need to be replaced?

I'm not an electrician but I know enough to know that tracking down RCD tripping faults generally can be a challenge. However, this will be less so for a charge point circuit because there shouldn't be any other things on the circuit that could be introducing earth leaks. It seems reasonable to try swapping the RCD in case it is not operating within its specification. If the RCD itself turns out to be OK then it can only be the charge point or an aspect of its installation that is causing the trip.

Reactions: MrBadger