Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HyperVolt Charge Points [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will the HyperVolt charger work if not connected to wifi, effectively as a "dumb charger"?

Can you tether it with an iphone etc for any data transfer?

I have an external place to install that has lots of power (incl 3 phase etc if I needed it) but it is far away from the wifi for the house. There is no grant/cost issue to worry about.
Mine has been offline from time to time as I accidentally had the repeater on the same timer as the Christmas lights for a bit and it seemed to be ok. so as long as it's connected to initially set up, I don't see why not (unless it has some sort of kill-switch if it's off for a long time). But best thing to do would be to give them a call, they are remarkably responsive, which is quite refreshing for this day and age. I had a few questions before I got mine and it was no problem to get through to a human being who was very helpful.

Has anyone used 24 7 EV? Anyone used them for Hypervolt instal?

Call me anal but I want to know what they are going to do before they do it and there has been talk of fitting a new RCBO isolator switch . . . . what is a RCBO isolator switch?
What you probably mean is an isolator switch and an RCBO. All istallations of EV charge points have an RCBO. Not surprisingly an isolator switch enables your charge point circuit to be completely disconnected from the rest of your mains supply. An RCBO is the term given to and overcurrent circuit breaker and an RCD (residual current device) combined into one thing. Not all RCBOs of the same rating in amps are suitable for EV charging circuits. There are several threads going into the detail of requirements in much more detail if you want to know more (yes, there's lots more to know ... that's why we pay professionals to do the job).

[Edit: they may just be meaning an EV RCBO when they use the term "RCBO isolator switch" because the RCBO can simply be switched off manually whether you have an actual separate isolator switch or not.]

If you’re paying a professional to do the work, which you should be, just talk to them to confirm what they’re doing and then enjoy not having to worry! That’s part of what you’re paying for at the end of the day…

Hi guys for the last 2 nights my Hypervolt has failed to charge my Model 3 on scheduled charge. Everything looks to be working fine from the charger perspective. I wonder if it’s a software bug on the car from the last update which I installed last week

Hi guys for the last 2 nights my Hypervolt has failed to charge my Model 3 on scheduled charge. Everything looks to be working fine from the charger perspective. I wonder if it’s a software bug on the car from the last update which I installed last week
Give Hypervolt support a call and ask them to check the firmware version you have running on your unit. Chances are it'll need an update which they can push remotely.

I’ve had this before. Ended up resetting the Hypervolt by switching off/on at the consumer unit and then found it had pushed a hardware update when it came back up again. Has been fine ever since.

Think this is the best thread to post on. Just looking for a quick sanity check...

I have an installation booked for the 17th March for Ohme Home Pro charger for our Model Y to be delivered the following day. It will be installed to our garage about 8 meters from our house where we get a "poor" WiFi connection.

I primarily picked the Ohme charger due to its connectivity with Octopus and its app. However since I'm seeing a lot of people here having a Hypervolt charger, I thought it sensible to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Whilst popularity alone isn't a cause to change my plans, given Ohme relies on a data connection (no wifi), I imagine it's continued support and existence is helpful at the very least.

Is there anything in Hypervolt's favour which should make me want to switch? The main points I'm seeing are:
  • Looks - whilst nice, it's going to be installed inside a garage, so certainly not a deal breaker.
  • Solar integration - we don't currently have any solar, but who knows for the future. Is it worth bearing this in mind for scalability?
  • Cable management - I honestly don't know how much this matters given it'll be a garage install. I assume living with the Ohme solution day to day would be fine?
  • Connectivity - I believe Hypervolt allows for either wifi or ethernet? Since I'm needing to have a cable installed to the garage, would it actually be advantageous to choose ethernet to allow a wifi extender for the Tesla connection?
Any thoughts appreciated. Obviously the simplest option is to stick with Ohme, but equally want this to be a sensible long term solution too.

The only other major thing which I can think of which will probably have no bearing because of your garage install, is the choice of cable lengths with the Hypervolt. It was a big consideration for me.

I don't know what the Ohme app is like, but the Hypervolt app is very, very easy to swap between scheduled and on demand charging. May or may not be useful for you.

Reactions: ajbrun
Think this is the best thread to post on. Just looking for a quick sanity check...

I have an installation booked for the 17th March for Ohme Home Pro charger for our Model Y to be delivered the following day. It will be installed to our garage about 8 meters from our house where we get a "poor" WiFi connection.

I primarily picked the Ohme charger due to its connectivity with Octopus and its app. However since I'm seeing a lot of people here having a Hypervolt charger, I thought it sensible to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Whilst popularity alone isn't a cause to change my plans, given Ohme relies on a data connection (no wifi), I imagine it's continued support and existence is helpful at the very least.

Is there anything in Hypervolt's favour which should make me want to switch? The main points I'm seeing are:
  • Looks - whilst nice, it's going to be installed inside a garage, so certainly not a deal breaker.
  • Solar integration - we don't currently have any solar, but who knows for the future. Is it worth bearing this in mind for scalability?
  • Cable management - I honestly don't know how much this matters given it'll be a garage install. I assume living with the Ohme solution day to day would be fine?
  • Connectivity - I believe Hypervolt allows for either wifi or ethernet? Since I'm needing to have a cable installed to the garage, would it actually be advantageous to choose ethernet to allow a wifi extender for the Tesla connection?
Any thoughts appreciated. Obviously the simplest option is to stick with Ohme, but equally want this to be a sensible long term solution too.
Some thoughts to add to the mix. Have had our HV home 2.0 for 6 months. Customer service. My personal experience with their support team and even their MD has been incredibly good. Immediate responses from technically knowledgable and friendly people is a revelation in this day and age. The product is also of a very high quality and is designed and assembled in the U.K. One of very very few products I’ve bought in the last 5? years where I’ve wholeheartedly recommended them to everyone I know.

Reactions: Bobly and ajbrun
Some thoughts to add to the mix. Have had our HV home 2.0 for 6 months. Customer service. My personal experience with their support team and even their MD has been incredibly good. Immediate responses from technically knowledgable and friendly people is a revelation in this day and age. The product is also of a very high quality and is designed and assembled in the U.K. One of very very few products I’ve bought in the last 5? years where I’ve wholeheartedly recommended them to everyone I know.
Snap to all of this.

Plus if you look at electrician’s recommendations they will almost always feature the HV - they don’t want to be installing something under warranty that’s going to cost them time to come back and repair time and time again. If it’s good enough for a sparky it’s good enough for me.

Reactions: Lord Fozworthy
I’ve had mine for about 3 months and I’d agree.

To be completely honest, the app needs some work but it is functional and the current trajectory is good. They say they are on track to deliver a huge update over the next few weeks which fixes most of the issues with the app. The main issue is with energy use tracking, it tracks the energy use fine but it doesn’t calculate correctly to £ based on the tariff you input. I can deal with that because it gives you the kWh amount and do some basic maths.

I don’t buy products based on future updates and very much evaluate it ‘as is’ and in its ‘as is’ state I’d say it’s good. Once this next update hits, I’ll re-evaluate and in theory it should be better than good.

I’ve already sold one on recommendation, our neighbour is eyeing one up as well. It seems to be very popular.

I’ve never needed to contact support so I can’t really comment on that.

I almost went with the Ohme Pro but have since changed to a Hypervolt which is getting installed in 3 weeks. The thing that put me off was its only got Sim card connectivity and after 3 years they will begin to charge you for this service. Its not very well covered on their website from what I saw and when I called them up they said it was in their terms and conditions, so I asked which clause specifically they were referring to and they couldn't tell me. So I am sceptical and don't like the non upfront info on the sim charges costs being advertised (one assumes its life time free but its not and then you are at the mercy of these charges no matter how small they start out to begin with).

Last edited:
Reactions: ajbrun and NSS89
I have a TWC gen 2 for my Tesla that's worked quite well since 2019. We recently got my wife into an EV and ended up going with Hypervolt for the same reason as @Bathurst mentioned. The ambiguity around the SIM card wasn't good. We've been very happy with the Hypervolt. They could definitely improve the reporting interface to allow more granularity and linking the costs shown to your actual rate plan but I understand these are on the way.

The one big feature missing from Hypervolt, for our use case, is that the Ohme allows you to specify a specific SOC to stop charging at. This wouldn't be an issue with the Tesla but most other manufacturers we considered for her car don't seem to have this capability in car. Neither of the MGs we test drove, the Zoe (which we had on hire from onto) or the Leaf that we ultimately bought allow you to specify which SOC to stop charging at. They just go up to 100. This is annoying from a battery health and regeneration availability perspective. Hopefully it's a feature that Hypervolt can bring to their device.

Reactions: Bathurst