Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hypothetical Long Range RWD Model Y Buyer Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
As the Standard Range RWD Model Y is only available off the menu, at least for now, would you consider purchasing a Long Range RWD Model Y should Tesla decide to build this variation?

Price - How much would you expect to pay for a Long Range RWD Model Y given that the current price of the Long Range Dual Motor Model Y is $48,990 US?

Performance - How fast, i.e. 0 to 60 MPH would the Long Range RWD Model Y have to accelerate given that the Standard Range RWD Model Y would accelerate from 0 to 60 MPH in 5.3 seconds? (Realize that the Long Range RWD Model Y would be ~ 250 to 300 lbs heavier than the Standard Range RWD Model Y due to the larger battery.)

Estimated Range - What would you expect the Range (EPA Est.) to be for the Long Range RWD Model Y?

Which of these (Price, Performance, Range) are non-negotiable?

Should Tesla build the Long Range RWD version of the Model Y?

Last edited:
I would consider purchasing a Long Range RWD Model Y instead of a Long Range Dual Motor Model Y.

I would expect to pay at least $3,000 less than the Long Range Dual Motor Model Y (LR DM MY at $48,990 US), so not more than $45,990 US. This lower price would be non-negotiable.

I would expect the Long Range RWD Model Y to accelerate from 0 to 60 MPH in 5.5 seconds. This would be negotiable.

I would expect the Range (EPA Est.) of the Long Range RWD Model Y to be 346 miles (20 miles more than the current Long Range Dual Motor Model Y's 326 miles.) This would be negotiable.

I would either pocket the $3,000 difference in price from the Long Range Dual Motor Model Y or put some of the $3,000 towards some of the following options:

20" Induction Wheels: $2,000
Paint: $1,000 - $1500
White Interior: $1,000
Tow Hitch: $1,000

Last edited:
Reactions: Puma2020
I'm sure the difference would be similar to RWD vs AWD Model 3, no? I don't have the spec comparisons off the top of my head...it's been a bit since Tesla had a RWD Model 3 Long Range...
The range difference or the price difference? Based on the now discontinued Long Range RWD Model 3 the additional range of a Long Range RWD Model Y without the front drive unit would be up to 20 miles additional. The proper price delta is more difficult to estimate. To close in price to the Long Range Dual Motor Model Y and few buyers would see the value in purchasing the RWD configuration. Tesla could adjust the price of a Long Range RWD Model Y until the order rate was as projected. $3000 US would offer buyers significant savings and the flexibility of adding some of the most popular options, including the 3rd row seating option, while not exceeding the price of the Long Range Dual Motor Model Y.

I have a 2021 Model Y long range AWD with 20” wheels. The EPA rated range is 324 I think. I haven’t had the car in summer yet but don’t get anywhere near that range in the winter. Yesterday, it was 41F outside and I took a trip that was 135 miles out and 135 miles back. The range I got was right around 200 miles. Charged it to 99% the night before and was down to 49% at 100 miles. Most of it was highway driving where I set autopilot to 79mph (65mph interstate). The combination of cold weather and highway speeds makes a mockery of the EPA estimated range. Just an FYI. It’s supposed to be a lot better in the summer I’m told. Fingers crossed.

I have the LR AWD Y. In the summer I get an estimated range in the 300's but not 326. However that is only the estimate.
I can do much better and much worse than that depending on how I drive. Going 79 on the highway will be much worse. Going 60 would be better for range but would likely drive me nuts.

I would not get a SR car. The LR car will likely give me that range in 7 or 8 years. :)

I also would NOT get a TESLA or any EV until the tax credit is restored (if that actually happens).
But if that does happen, getting a LR Y (or maybe a Cyber truck) with a $7,000 tax credit, sure that makes sense to me.

All potential future federal tax credits aside, would you consider purchasing a hypothetical Long Range RWD Model Y over a Long Range Dual Motor Model Y (the current Long Range Model Y) if you could save ~$3,000 US by skipping the front drive unit and instead purchasing the RWD Model Y? You would also gain up to an additional 20 miles of EPA Estimated Range over the current Long Range Dual Motor Model Y. Why or why not?

All potential future federal tax credits aside, would you consider purchasing a hypothetical Long Range RWD Model Y over a Long Range Dual Motor Model Y (the current Long Range Model Y) if you could save ~$3,000 US by skipping the front drive unit and instead purchasing the RWD Model Y? You would also gain up to an additional 20 miles of EPA Estimated Range over the current Long Range Dual Motor Model Y. Why or why not?

No, I would stay with the AWD (knowing it is only partial) for the safety factor. While the range increase is nice, its not enough to change ones charging plans on a road trip.