Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hypothetical: What if the 100D gets announced?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this is Tesla's way of saying the 100D is coming soon, but let's say Tesla announces that the Model X 100D ships end of year for $3,000 more than the 90D (similar to 70D => 75D). For those (like me) that have already confirmed their 90D orders and have just been continuously delayed, what would you do? Would you reject delivery/cancel order and lose the $5,000 deposit and wait another 6 months for the 100D and pay $3,000 more? Or just keep on waiting for your 90D to be delivered?

• Informative
Reactions: n88
All things being equal,

70-75d = $3000
90-100d = $6000

If you cancel, it will potentially cost you $11,000.

You might be able to ask them for a later delivery. What if one was out of town for a few months? I'm sure there are ways to get this done.

How would asking for a later delivery help? Wouldn't you still lose your $5,000 deposit? Or are you thinking you can delay production and potentially only have to pay a $500 configuration change fee?

I once tried to change my 90D order to a 75D and they wouldn't do it for the $500 configuration change fee because they said the parts had already been sourced, even though production hadn't started yet.

If a 100D gets announced, then there will be a rash of new posts and rumors about a 110D, and a 115D, and of course the 120QP.

The 120QP (quad motor; plaid speed option; 900HP; 0-60 in 0.9 sec; 400mi range; fully autonomous; will go get the groceries for you on its own, walk the dog, mow the lawn, and of course head over to the supercharger autonomously as well) is the one I'm waiting for. :)

If a 100D gets announced, then there will be a rash of new posts and rumors about a 110D, and a 115D, and of course the 120QP.

The 120QP (quad motor; plaid speed option; 900HP; 0-60 in 0.9 sec; 400mi range; fully autonomous; will go get the groceries for you on its own, walk the dog, mow the lawn, and of course head over to the supercharger autonomously as well) is the one I'm waiting for. :)
So true. This is our world. Enjoy things now and don't worry about missing the next big thing. Only Jesus is the same yesterday today and forever!

I just got my Sig Model X last month anticicpating this was probably coming. To be honest while it would be nice it's not something I'm overly upset about, I think the more interesting leaps are still coming and probably wouldn't be interested until the 120 came out which is still a few years away. For now I think Tesla will do what it does announce it and allow people to adjust if at all possible.

Reactions: chloedog
hmmmm...I'm thinking that "100" picture with the Tesla Facebook page is nothing more than a popular emoji. I think Tesla wants people to order cars, and if you knew an update was coming, you'd probably hesitate to order. Thoughts? But if the 100 does come out soon, nice! Maybe they'll kick the 75 up a little?!?!?!?!?!?!?! (doubtful)

hmmmm...I'm thinking that "100" picture with the Tesla Facebook page is nothing more than a popular emoji. I think Tesla wants people to order cars, and if you knew an update was coming, you'd probably hesitate to order. Thoughts? But if the 100 does come out soon, nice! Maybe they'll kick the 75 up a little?!?!?!?!?!?!?! (doubtful)
I agree with JCB

Hundred Points Symbol Emoji

Having said that I also expect a 100 kWh Tesla any day now. ;)

The only thing I would find annoying is if it turned out that I could get a 100D faster than waiting for my P90DL ordered in December. I get that companies make newer, better, shinier products all of the time, but Tesla is the only company I know that rewards those who order later or pay less by delivering their cars sooner than those who made commitments further in the past. I'm referring to delivered 90Ds ordered in Feb / Mar versus undelivered P90Ds ordered in Dec / Jan, for example. I'm sure none of this was their intention, but it's quite apparent that they prioritized total delivered Q1 numbers over any sense of customer prioritization or even quality control. In some ways I wish I was getting my car sooner, but I'm also glad I will (hopefully) have less issues to contend with when I do.

Not sure if this is Tesla's way of saying the 100D is coming soon, but let's say Tesla announces that the Model X 100D ships end of year for $3,000 more than the 90D (similar to 70D => 75D). For those (like me) that have already confirmed their 90D orders and have just been continuously delayed, what would you do? Would you reject delivery/cancel order and lose the $5,000 deposit and wait another 6 months for the 100D and pay $3,000 more? Or just keep on waiting for your 90D to be delivered?

Reactions: chloedog
If a 100D comes out, I'm hoping Tesla will allow current X 90D owners the option of upgrading their batteries at cost ($6,000?). I would've liked the option to get a 100D, but missed out because I ordered early. :(
You're setting yourself up for disappointment. In the entire history of Tesla Motors, there is no precedent for such action. AFAIK.

• Informative
Reactions: Paul Carter
The only thing I would find annoying is if it turned out that I could get a 100D faster than waiting for my P90DL ordered in December. I get that companies make newer, better, shinier products all of the time, but Tesla is the only company I know that rewards those who order later or pay less by delivering their cars sooner than those who made commitments further in the past. I'm referring to delivered 90Ds ordered in Feb / Mar versus undelivered P90Ds ordered in Dec / Jan, for example. I'm sure none of this was their intention, but it's quite apparent that they prioritized total delivered Q1 numbers over any sense of customer prioritization or even quality control. In some ways I wish I was getting my car sooner, but I'm also glad I will (hopefully) have less issues to contend with when I do.
Your point regarding tesla prioritizing orders is valid. But remember you jumped a bunch of us 70D orders who reserved prior to you.

I've been thinking about it, and from the 90D to the 100D it would be about 11% additional battery capacity, assuming that translates directly to additional range, the 90D would get about an additional 28 miles in range. Is that worth $6,000? I'm thinking not...

Reactions: vrykolas