Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hyundai first to produce "mass produced" hydrogen car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe there'll be some installation kits on the market in 8 years which allow you to take the aging battery pack out of your Model S, put it in your solar system, and buy a new one for your car.

Does the prepaid battery replacement say who gets the old battery? Does Tesla demand it in trade-in? If so, I wonder what value Tesla places on the battery pack.

The replaced battery is Tesla's property. Value is unknown, but there is an advantage to Tesla:
If the old pack has 70% capacity, it will sell for 70% of cost of "new" capacity" in a stationary application (e.g. grid storage). Tesla has to pay for 30% capacity difference plus labor to refurbish the pack. $12k plus 8 years interest should pay for that.

Hyundai plans to build 1,000 ix35 Fuel Cell vehicles by 2015 for lease

Something like a "compliance car", then. This is not a serious attempt to produce hydrogen cars. It's an attempt to satisfy some legal requirement or qualify for some government subsidy or get some publicity, or something.

You know what's interesting? I believe Tesla is now the largest-volume manufacturer of zero-emissions automobiles in the world since the 1930s. (I'll have to check the production numbers on the electric car manufacturers from before then, but Tesla may well exceed them this year.)

Something like a "compliance car", then. This is not a serious attempt to produce hydrogen cars. It's an attempt to satisfy some legal requirement or qualify for some government subsidy or get some publicity, or something.

You know what's interesting? I believe Tesla is now the largest-volume manufacturer of zero-emissions automobiles in the world since the 1930s. (I'll have to check the production numbers on the electric car manufacturers from before then, but Tesla may well exceed them this year.)
Second oldest American car company, largest volume manufacturer of zero-emissions automobiles, ...

The accomplishments are stacking up.

While I'm on a tangent...

Is Tesla the youngest car company (at 9 years) to win MT Car of the Year? Or is it a tie with American Motors (Rambler 1963, company founded 1954).
Motor Trend Cars of the Year Complete Winners List
American Motors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Something like a "compliance car", then.
I imagine there will be a lot more "compliance" FCVs coming. 300+ mile (on the easier LA4 cycle) FCVs get 7 ZEV credits from California vs the 4 credits 200+ mile EVs get (because of the fast fueling requirement), 3 credits 100+ mile EVs get. For 2015-2017, the FCVs get a boost to 9 credits (EVs get no boost). So as long as the FCV is not much more than 2-3x the cost of an EV to make, it makes sense from a credit perspective.

The only practical advantage of an FCV over an 85 kWh 'S' would be faster refueling, faster than a Supercharger. On the flip side, compared with hydrogen fueling stations, Superchargers ought to be far cheaper and simpler to roll out in large numbers. The FCV does not really have a range advantage. Besides, how frequently do most people actually exceed the single-charge range of the 85 kWh 'S'? IMO, the so-called "mass produced" FCV is dead on arrival.

Somebody please tell me why the State of California is funding hydrogen fueling infrastructure. The money would be better spent on more Superchargers and CHAdeMO stations!

Somebody please tell me why the State of California is funding hydrogen fueling infrastructure. The money would be better spent on more Superchargers and CHAdeMO stations!

It's the "all of the above" solution. Chu did this eventually on the Fed level even after refusing to fund Hydrogen saying is was poor way of fueling cars.

In truth they can't show favoritism so we have to waste money until they fail in the marketplace even with gov help.

It's the "all of the above" solution. Chu did this eventually on the Fed level even after refusing to fund Hydrogen saying is was poor way of fueling cars.

In truth they can't show favoritism so we have to waste money until they fail in the marketplace even with gov help.

This is why the government shouldn't be picking technologies. I would prefer a tax incentive based on a simple formula that would promote any vehicle technology that gets us off fossil fuel.
The tax incentive is to help incubate technologies to break into the marketplace, then let the marketplace determine the winner.

If both the FCEV and the BEV use zero fossil fuel, give them the same incentive. I am pretty confident that with equal incentives, the BEV is the clear winner.