TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Hyundai Kona Electric SUV - Interesting!

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Hank101, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Hank101

Hank101 Go Tigers!

2. ThisIsTrue

ThisIsTrue Re-member

I've been looking at that too. I do have a M3 reservation, but what I "really" want is an SUV. I'm afraid the MY will arrive too late to replace my current SUV (2008 Ford Escape Hybrid), especially since I want AWD, so this one really caught my attention. Still haven't heard whether the Kona Electric is AWD....

• Like x 1
  3. McFlurri

McFlurri Active Member

The Kona EV will only be FWD.

To get the AWD you must have the ICE

4. ThisIsTrue

ThisIsTrue Re-member

:(

5. DR61

DR61 Member

Global production estimated at 30,000/year. A long wait for those who want one of these.

• Informative x 1
  6. scrapps

scrapps Member

OMG the inside of that thing is horrible :(

7. BioSehnsucht

BioSehnsucht Model 3 LR

They also apparently only plan to build something like 30,000 globally and in the US only sell them in CARB states (probably both because it's the most likely place to make a sale and also because of those sweet, sweet ZEV credits).

• Informative x 1
  8. steven415

steven415 Member

If this is 30K or less (can you imagine this at 23k after credits), Hyundai will have an absolute winner.

9. Lem89

Lem89 Member

Why is this in Model 3 forum? :rolleyes:

Anyway Kona looks likeable, will likely be super efficient like the Ioniq EV, but sadly just as elusive. They're simply not available new in any state that's not California.

10. David L

David L Member

The Hyundai Ioniq Electric starts at $29,500 MSRP and has a 28kWh battery. Considering that the Kona has a 36kWh larger battery and assuming each kWh costs Hyundai at least $150, I'm going to guess that it won't have an MSRP of less than $35,000.

11. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

It looks more like a Bolt than an SUV

• Like x 1
  12. TrebVs

TrebVs Active Member

No not AWD for the EV version...

13. Nuclear Fusion

• Like x 1
  14. arcus

arcus Active Member

We were looking at both Niro and Kona EV. The dealership(s) told us that there is a limited number of them being tested in Norway and California and they don't expect them to be available anytime soon. Earliest mid or late 2019.

With the volume of production like this Norway alone can eat up all the orders before anyone else gets a hand on them.

I too have Model 3 reservation and am holding to it. Maybe Y or pickup will be there for when our lease on my wife's car is over.

15. Evoforce

Evoforce Active Member

I would seriously look into whether they have a liquid TMS. If not, stay away. Cars with diverted cabin air to their traction batteries are failing. I think that cabin air is (from what I remember) what Hyundai is currently offering.

16. arcus

arcus Active Member

That is certainly true for Ioniq Hybrid - there's even a vent on the left side of rear passenger seat to provide some cooling for the battery. Quick guide even cautions about not blocking it.

17. daktari

daktari Member

Look at the review above. Yes, Kona 64 has liquid cooling of the pack. Consumption is surprisingly low also.

18. JenniferSmith

JenniferSmith New Member

Hey I'm bout to buy this Hyundai Ioniq and I was shocked when I've heard that they offer 5 years battery warranty when actually the battery lifetime dont go over 5 years and it costs $5000 :eek: is that true?

19. Evoforce

Evoforce Active Member

It is unclear to me what you are asking.

20. JenniferSmith

JenniferSmith New Member

I'm asking for the battery warranty, should I get this car knowing that the battery will die after 5 years?