TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Hyundai says Hydrogren Cars next year

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by ggies07, Nov 19, 2013.

1. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

2. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

They are planning to make only about 1000, so yes. That's still a lot by hydrogen car standards, but that's not saying much (Honda only leased about 25 Claritys and GM about 100 Equinox FCVs).

3. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Why choose to build a hydrogen car instead of a BEV if it's a compliance car anyway?!

I'd assume that the technology for a BEV is simpler than that for a Hydrogen-fueled car?! And, there's more of an infrastructure to refuel a BEV?!

4. stopcrazypp

#4 stopcrazypp, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    They get 7 credits for each hydrogen car while a typical "100 mile" BEV like a Leaf would get only 3 credits (you need battery swapping to get 7 credits and a lot more range like the Model S). Basically it reduces the amount of cars they have to make and support (probably only a small R&D fleet is necessary to satisfy the requirement). There's also less (no) competition too.

Also the 1000 I mentioned is worldwide and includes 2015.

5. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

As always these FCVs are just for show and a (poor) environmental alibi for the ICE mafia. i keep thinking it would be really could though if one of these companies dared to take the Tesla route and build an all-out luxury, high performance FCV from the ground up. Even if it cost $150k. This assumin pg of course that such a vehicle is possible to build (I have some doubt).

6. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams Active Member

It's actually 9 credits for hydrogen with "fast-refueling" and 300 mile range, for model years 2015-2017. In other words, they can make ONE THIRD as many cars as a typical battery electric compliance-only car with 100 mile range.

7. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

I can't wait to see one drive over a trailer hitch.

8. stopcrazypp

I remember Type V as being 7 credits. Did they recently change this?

9. tigerade

tigerade Member

I am skeptical of hydrogen fuel-cell vehicles... but the Hyundai Tucson is a good looking car and I'd take a test drive simply out of curiousity.

Introducing Hyundai Tucson

10. stopcrazypp

Unfortunately it'll only be offered for lease in California, so unless you live in California, it's unlikely you will get to test this car.

11. Nichen

Nichen Member

One word: Infrastructure. Am I the only one who is extremely tired of the hydrogen-talk? We've heard about it for such a long time, and even if the Hyundai Tucson is a breakthrough FCV-vehicle it would still be soo much more limited than the Model S or BEVs in general. I'm tired of waiting, and it will take many decades before they have a practical infrastructure for hydrogen around the globe. I don't have that time.

12. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

On a related note, if a hydrogen powered car could be fueled using methane (CH4), you could just fart your way to work and back every day for free. Remember to eat your beans kiddies!