Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hyundai Sonata PHEV $35,435 AER 27 Miles.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RobStark

Jul 2, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
The 2016 Hyundai Sonata plug-in hybrid, the first car of its kind for the automaker, will hit select U.S. showrooms this week beginning at $35,435, including shipping.

The plug-in hybrid offers what Hyundai calls a class-leading 27-mile electric range while operating on a lithium polymer battery system.

Hyundai said it is expected to achieve 40 mpg while operating in hybrid mode. It comes with a 2.0-liter, four cylinder GDI engine and a 50 kilowatt electric motor.

A version of the car with advanced safety technology will sell for $39,435, Hyundai said in a statement Friday. Both cars are eligible for a $4,919 federal tax credit, in addition to local and state incentives.

The Sonata plug-in hybrid will initially be sold in California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island and Vermont.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...-prices-2016-sonata-plug-in-hybrid-from-35435

2016-Hyundai-Sonata-plug-in-hybrid.jpg

DSC05482.jpg

Basically same price as the Volt. You lose half the AER but gain a midsize interior with a real 3 person bench rear seat. It will be interesting to see relative sales.

Interesting that Hyundai is not afraid to call it what it is, a plug-in hybrid. And a real back seat!! GM missed an golden opportunity here with the Gen 9 Malibu Hybrid. Still scratching my head on that one??? But then they would have ran the battery down middle like the Volt, Sigh*** One conclusion for me anyway, was after 3 years and 65,000 miles with a Volt. No matter how high the AER becomes with a plug-in hybrid, you always seem to be chasing the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. You can never quite get there unless you are mentally ok with that gas motor starting. Me??? the more times that gas motor started the more I hated it!!

The Volt was the Best GM car I ever owned but ironically it will also be the Last GM car I will buy.

A confessed Electric Addict :smile:

As stated, it has a 50 kW (67 HP) electric motor so it's EV-only performance will be quite weak and by default it will drive in a "blended" mode where the gas engine starts up if you accelerate too fast or climb a hill at too fast of a speed etc. You need a Volt-size lithium-ion pack to have EREV non-blended performance with 0-60 mph under 10 seconds. It's great to see a variety of plugin cars coming to market but I personally prefer the compromises/tradeoffs in the Volt.

The Sonata PHEV also gives you 600 miles of total range vs 420 for the Volt 2.0.
Which just means a bigger gas tank and not better efficiency AFAIK.

- - - Updated - - -

As stated, it has a 50 kW (67 HP) electric motor so it's EV-only performance will be quite weak and by default it will drive in a "blended" mode where the gas engine starts up if you accelerate too fast or climb a hill at too fast of a speed etc. You need a Volt-size lithium-ion pack to have EREV non-blended performance with 0-60 mph under 10 seconds. It's great to see a variety of plugin cars coming to market but I personally prefer the compromises/tradeoffs in the Volt.
All these PHEVs are pretty weak EV-only performance and range. As well you get $2,500 less tax credit on this car because of the battery size.

Looking forward to our new 2016 Volt in about 3 weeks. Impressive how much GM listened to the Gen 1.0 customers. Looking forward to the Model X in 1-1.5 months ... sure hope before 12/31. May tow the 2016 Volt on a trailer for some X testing. Could do that with the 2011 Volt since that is going to one of our kids.

Why wouldn't you want a bigger gas tank on long trips?
IF you are determined to never use gasoline under any circumstances what is the point of buying a car with an ICE in it?
I take regular trips in my Volt. I never have any trouble finding gas at 300+ mile spans.

Using your reasoning, why not just have a 20 or 25 or 30 gallon tank so you can go 800 or 1000 miles?

Why wouldn't you want a bigger gas tank on long trips?
Sure, that would be nice for the relatively rare occasions when I take long road trips. With the bigger tank I would only have to stop for a 5 minute gasoline refill every 8 hours instead of every 5 hours or so. On the other hand, I'm human and I have an average-sized urine bladder so any benefit would be minor.

Even with a smaller gas tank, the Volt may need to be driven to the gas station less often than the Sonata for typical local and regional driving due to the Volt's bigger EV range that would be fully recharged at home overnight or opportunity charged at work etc. Based on previous Volt driving records from OnStar, GM is estimating that the typical 2016 Volt owner will stop at the gas station once every 1000 miles.

And then there is the Volt's full performance EV versus the Sonata's apparent Yugo performance EV.

The only reason to get the Sonata is for the extra rear seating space and I almost never need that.

Last edited: