Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hyundai to Launch 2016 Midsize BEV Powered By Next-Gen LG Chem Batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The teaser outline looks sleeker than the lines under camo in the leaked pics... but then again, that's what camo (and very dark teaser pics) tnds to do.

If this is another medium-long range BEV at a tolerable price point for this market segment, then more good news.

USA warranty is 5 years, 60,000 everything warranty. 10 years, 100,000 miles drivetrain.

The state law in California is:

10 years / 100,000 miles minimum battery warranty for EVs (because everybody knows that they can't go more than 10,000 miles per year)

10 years / 150,000 mile minimum battery warranty for hybrids

Looks like a smaller 3/4 scale Model X ... :cool:

2017-ioniq-undisquised-005-1.jpg

2017-ioniq-undisquised-003-1.jpg

Back to the Hyundai. The 3 important questions are: how much range? Does Hyundai actually try to sell the bev variant? Do they do anything to expand charging infrastructure? If it is over 150 mi, they incent dealers to sell, and they put 3+ fast dc stalls at each dealer.... You've got something there. If it's just a symbolic gesture, it will be like the fiat 500 EV or the egolf: a really nice car for a good price that they don't really want to sell, and therefor few will buy. My experience is that you can put an EV drivetrain in just about any car and it gets much better immediately. Purpose built tesla is certainly better, but also 3x price, and we should not get snobby about that.

Back to the Hyundai. The 3 important questions are: how much range? Does Hyundai actually try to sell the bev variant? Do they do anything to expand charging infrastructure? If it is over 150 mi, they incent dealers to sell, and they put 3+ fast dc stalls at each dealer.... You've got something there. If it's just a symbolic gesture, it will be like the fiat 500 EV or the egolf: a really nice car for a good price that they don't really want to sell, and therefor few will buy. My experience is that you can put an EV drivetrain in just about any car and it gets much better immediately. Purpose built tesla is certainly better, but also 3x price, and we should not get snobby about that.
I wouldn't say the e-Golf is the same as the Fiat 500e. The Fiat 500e is available in two CARB states and nowhere else. The e-Golf is available in ~11 CARB states in the US and several countries in Europe. Including Norway, where it is the best selling BEV, with ~9200 sold in 2015 as of December 20th. Most likely, they're selling everything they can produce, and if they had sufficient supply, they would offer it in more markets.

Last edited:
Right. Jack of all trades, master of none comes to mind. Although if you design it well from the start, it can still be far better than a typical ICE conversion.

How come the e-Golf tops the EV sales charts this year in Norway? It's a good car and conversions work well for shorter range cars. Please see this background article...

Green Car Congress: Driving the VW e-Golf; strategy, assembly in Wolfsburg, Braunschweig battery plant

VW managed to create a car with almost no visual or utility negatives (i.e. smaller trunk space or other drawbacks) that offers an equal range compared to its direct EV competitors.

Of course longer-range EVs will ideally require more dedicated designs (usually flat-floor "skateboard" battery design), but the great thing about the combined designs for EVs/PHEVs and possibly hydrogen variants in the future is keeping costs down for now.

Dedicated models require larger volumes sold to be profitable and get a decent ROI - that's not there for the moment in "pure" EVs.

Assuming the Hyundai Ioniq has a decent range (practically a given due to the announced use of "next-gen LG Chem batteries") and no major quality issues I predict this car will sell very well in both the PHEV and EV variants in 2016+.

I wouldn't say the e-Golf is the same as the Fiat 500e. The Fiat 500e is available in two CARB states and nowhere else. The e-Golf is available in ~11 CARB states in the US and several countries in Europe. Including Norway, where it is the best selling BEV, with ~9200 sold in 2015 as of December 20th. Most likely, they're selling everything they can produce, and if they had sufficient supply, they would offer it in more markets.
I stand corrected. My experience is with US, where even in the states where eGolf is sold, it really is not. Only a few dealers carry it. Sales people and mechanics aren't trained. The support staff are not knowledgeable. Nonetheless I really like the car and I'm glad to hear it is actively marketed elsewhere.