Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hyundai vs. Tesla | Why Hyundai Poses the Biggest EV Threat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fast charger charging time is not that important (for me at least). I don't do road trip every week/month same as most people. Also, no on waits until their battery goes to 0%. So, the average charge time for most people are less than 10-15 mins for both Tesla or non-Tesla cars.

Reactions: Art84
I can understand why the H/G/K cars are considered competitors. With the Fed tax credit, a MY with EAP as the only option is approx $25k more expensive than a Ioniq 5 Limited, $22k/$12k more than Genesis GV60 Advanced/Performance. Personally, I am moving ahead with my MY order and expect delivery in another month or so. But, it is really hard to pass on desirable features not available on my Tesla such as ventilated seats, front and rear cross traffic alert, HUD and a killer 360 view system. Features like this and lower price will drive many customers away from Tesla.
What is the H/G/K cars? Thx

I suspect that H/G/K, as well as others in the near future, will put pressure on Tesla. In the end though, it is Tesla itself that probably it’s own greatest threat. Fit and finish. Luxury prices, while telling customers they are not luxury cars. A serious problem with the availability of service centers. Customer support that is too often lacking. All of these issues will open Tesla to criticism and help turn heads elsewhere.

I really like my Model Y. I find that it is both practical and fun. I sing the car’s praises often. However, some of the issues stated above have me less than enthusiastic at times. For example, I am hesitant to bring in my car for service since the closest center is close to 2 hours away. And I live in Massachusetts, not a big state.

Tesla has many advantages currently. When these begin to fade, the drawbacks will be highlighted even further. Tesla needs to get their house in order.

I considered the Niro & Kona before I bought my Y. Don't think the Ioniq was around. I like the Y but I'll tell you, I don't think I'd buy it now at the current pricing. It's almost 20K more. I had to swallow hard enough to cough up 50K for mine. If I were doing it today, I'd probably get a competitor and rely on the camry hybrid for travel (the car with a spare tire). Although I did look at the Kona & Niro, I'd probably be gravitating towards the Ioniq. I don't take a lot of trips so knowing what I know now, the range is a little less important once I relegate an EV for non-trip. I've used superchargers twice in 2 years.
EVs come down to 3 factors: battery, software OTA & charging stations-Tesla killer is non existent now-am not a fanboy!
Disagree on at least 2 of the 3. The general public won't give a rat's butt about OTA. There is a lot of discussion here about how the CCS network is not as robust as Tesla's but given the media's generally negative stance towards Tesla, I'd be really surprised to find charging to be an advantage for Tesla.

Range? Maybe. There will be range anxiety. But for families for whom an EV is a second car I'd say insignificant. Particularly given inflated EPA ranges and lack of knowledge on battery degradation and range killing cold weather.

The way I see it, any competition is better than no competition. H/G/K are only one small part of it but I’m hoping they are going to have that new SE plant so we can get a $20-25k EV with 250-275 miles. CCS and Superchargers are great for DC charging but it is more for trips. The 2 greatest barriers to entry are cost and supply. Tesla supplies nearly 7x of H/G/K which is a bit sad. BYD produced about 686k units but that is combined hybrid and EV. We will also have a lithium and cobalt shortage at some point which is why this is such an issue. I’m rooting for Rivian and Lucid as well but the Rivian plant is still being built/outfitted and they can’t get high mass production numbers until then which is why their production costs are high.

On a separate note, VW group seems to be doing ok in the EU but they are probably getting scaled up just like the Tesla GigaBerlin. I think they are closer in terms of an EV race but they are behind in deliveries.

Reactions: Daekwan
They can't even make cars that give you a halfway decent chance at it not being stolen. It's so bad they are giving steering wheel locks, lmao.

Reactions: Anothergeek
it is really hard to pass on desirable features not available on my Tesla such as ventilated seats, front and rear cross traffic alert, HUD and a killer 360 view system
As former Ioniq 5 owner, i can say the only thing I'm missing is the ventilated seats. Telsa really should have these, fully agree. The HUD and 360 view system, not so much. 360 view looks super cool in the beginning, but then you will soon find out that you can't trust it to navigate tight spots, because it's top-down view and there's slight delay in the imagine. Also try using that 360 view to parallel park, it's very strange and I was doing all the distances wrong using the 360. I would almost always use camera only. HUD is another one. It seems super useful on paper, but Hyundai doesn't integrate HUD with AppleCar play or Android Auto. So in order to really take advantage of HUD, you need to use build-in infortainment / map system. The map system is a disaster and a serious joke in year of 2022. Think back when you first got TomTom or Garmin, that's basically the same sophiscation that Hyundai's map provides. Charging speed is a big plus, 20-80% in 18 minutes, but that really only happens when stars align for you on that day. That's after you get lucky with EA app that doesn't give you any issues when you just want to activate a session. Also there's no battery precondition so you really need to go in station 'hot' + having 350w available. Yes, Tesla charges at lower speed but with so many SC available you really don't want to spend that much time at each station to get to 80% before moving on. Ioniq 5 is a good car, but too many little annoyance with it that's just not for me.

As former Ioniq 5 owner, i can say the only thing I'm missing is the ventilated seats. Telsa really should have these, fully agree. The HUD and 360 view system, not so much. 360 view looks super cool in the beginning, but then you will soon find out that you can't trust it to navigate tight spots, because it's top-down view and there's slight delay in the imagine. Also try using that 360 view to parallel park, it's very strange and I was doing all the distances wrong using the 360. I would almost always use camera only. HUD is another one. It seems super useful on paper, but Hyundai doesn't integrate HUD with AppleCar play or Android Auto. So in order to really take advantage of HUD, you need to use build-in infortainment / map system. The map system is a disaster and a serious joke in year of 2022. Think back when you first got TomTom or Garmin, that's basically the same sophiscation that Hyundai's map provides. Charging speed is a big plus, 20-80% in 18 minutes, but that really only happens when stars align for you on that day. That's after you get lucky with EA app that doesn't give you any issues when you just want to activate a session. Also there's no battery precondition so you really need to go in station 'hot' + having 350w available. Yes, Tesla charges at lower speed but with so many SC available you really don't want to spend that much time at each station to get to 80% before moving on. Ioniq 5 is a good car, but too many little annoyance with it that's just not for me.
Totally agree 100%! All I want from Ionoq 5 spec is the ventilated seats. that's it.

A friend with an Ioniq 5 just sent this picture.

539D60C7-0A8B-43DA-9124-DC05B480D0E8.jpeg

It DC charges quickly to 80%, then slows down to 7 kW after that. Hopefully Hyundai improves that.

Last edited:

As someone who also owns a Telluride (same HUD, 360, nav, etc.) in addition to my Model Y, I completely agree with everything written here.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
It charges fast to 80% then slows down to 7 kW after that. Hopefully Hyundai improves that.
almost all LI batteries are like that. The last 'top off' voltage takes the longest.

EVs come down to 3 factors: battery, software OTA & charging stations-Tesla killer is non existent now-am not a fanboy!
charging stations really depends on use case. I've had my car for 2 years and excluding the first month when I didn't have my home charger installed I've used a supercharger 9 times and 4 or 5 of those uses were convenience, not necessity. I have a friend with a Leaf and he was able to drive from Minneapolis to Chicago in his Leaf without any difficulty, so the charging landscape is starting to change and will continue to do so as more EVs are sold.

As far as software goes, Tesla is a double edged sword. In many ways their interface is quite good but then we deal with the v11 debacle and software bugs are pretty routine with the OTA updates. I like the concept of the OTA updates, but as I posted in another thread, I feel like the fact that it's so easy to push out updates has lead to sloppy debugging.

Tesla has the most experience with batteries and arguably is leading in this area. I'm interested to see if the 4680 batteries are the advancement that was promised a few years ago.