Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I’d like a ‘dynamic creep’ mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mrklaw

Mar 5, 2020
Berkshire
I love one pedal driving for regular driving. I find that last tiny bit of travel as you ease off is amazingly well tuned both to kick in a little more braking and letting you adjust your stopping point with finesse. Lovely.

I don’t like it for slow speed things (mainly parking). I’m used to years of automatics and using ‘one pedal braking’ where my brain is in ‘car will move slowly on its own, I can stomp to stop if needed’. I may adjust to it but I don’t like it right now.

I’d like an inbetween mode where it can sometimes creep and sometimes not. I’m thinking it could work simply based on your brake pedal. If you have your foot on the brake then it’ll creep when you let off. If you then accelerate and let off, it’ll come to a complete stop.

This would let you creep when changing into reverse with your foot on the brake, but once you’re rolling you could stop at traffic lights etc with one pedal driving, it’d auto-hold and you can carry on as normal

Anyone else like the one pedal stuff but still prefer creep for parking?

Reactions: goRt
I don't have the M3LR yet but I leased an ID3 for a month and had the same experience. I prefer creep mode so I turned "hold mode" off in the VW ID3.
What is thequivalent in the M3? I would like to creep when stationary but I like to have regen when I release the gas pedal when I'm moving - is there any option for me then? I don't care too much about 1 foot driving to be honest. I'd rather always use the break pedal.

I don't have the M3LR yet but I leased an ID3 for a month and had the same experience. I prefer creep mode so I turned "hold mode" off in the VW ID3.
What is thequivalent in the M3? I would like to creep when stationary but I like to have regen when I release the gas pedal when I'm moving - is there any option for me then? I don't care too much about 1 foot driving to be honest. I'd rather always use the break pedal.

Regen on m3 is always on, no option or settings. You control the amount by how much you back off the throttle

Separately you can set roll, creep, and hold for when the car slows down. Don’t know what roll does, but hold beings the car to a stop automatically, creep is like an automatic where it’ll move slowly around walking pace so to being too a stop you have to use the brake a little.

if you hard press the brake when stopped, the car will go into hold mode so you can let go of the brake and it’ll stay put - handy for traffic lights.

That’s what I do - so a small press of the brake to stop, but the benefit for me is creep giving smoother control for low speed like parking. I’m used to that convenience from automatics too.

Regen on m3 is always on, no option or settings. You control the amount by how much you back off the throttle

Separately you can set roll, creep, and hold for when the car slows down. Don’t know what roll does, but hold beings the car to a stop automatically, creep is like an automatic where it’ll move slowly around walking pace so to being too a stop you have to use the brake a little.

if you hard press the brake when stopped, the car will go into hold mode so you can let go of the brake and it’ll stay put - handy for traffic lights.

That’s what I do - so a small press of the brake to stop, but the benefit for me is creep giving smoother control for low speed like parking. I’m used to that convenience from automatics too.

I kind of guessed the creep mode was only when slowing down. That means there's no creep "start" mode at all, which I suppose is the point of the OP

I'd also be interested to know how the M3/Y behaves, as didn't really have a need/notice it on the test drive.

I'm loaning an ID3 too at the moment, and noticed that this works in a pretty smart way - if you press the brake pedal gently when coming to a halt then auto-hold is not engaged and will creep if you let off but if you press a bit harder then the auto-hold engages and you can take your foot off the pedal. I have to say I really like the way this works (and the auto-hold indicator on the instrument panel - does the Tesla show this too when engaged?).

Tesla does have an auto hold indicator but it's not necessary when driving - when the car is stopped it's stopped.. the applies power to the motor is perfect to stop it drifting in any direction (not sure how that works with creep.. that was the very first thing I disabled when I first got a Tesla, presumably you have to keep the brake on).

Where the indicator comes in useful is when you're parking on a slope, since when park up the sudden loss of power can cause the car to slip back unless hold has engaged (which I believe engages the brake).. this happens a few seconds after you stop. When I first got my 3 I didn't notice the indicator and frequently slid back 6 inches on my driveway because I cut power too early :p

Like I said a couple of posts up, even in creep mode, a firm press if the brake will put it on hold mode whihc is basically the same as if the car cam to a halt itself. You can let go of the brake and It’ll sit there until you press the accelerator

Reactions: CaptainC
(not sure how that works with creep.. that was the very first thing I disabled when I first got a Tesla [...])
I think the default is hold mode now (at least it was for my car)

Spent enough time driving both manuals and automatics to be used to both styles of manoeuvring. One month in to Tesla ownership (with hold mode selected, as per how it was configured on delivery) and I prefer it.

I'd suggest stick with hold for a month. If after a month you really still prefer creep mode then by all means - but one pedal driving just seems more natural to me.

I think the default is hold mode now (at least it was for my car)

Spent enough time driving both manuals and automatics to be used to both styles of manoeuvring. One month in to Tesla ownership (with hold mode selected, as per how it was configured on delivery) and I prefer it.

I'd suggest stick with hold for a month. If after a month you really still prefer creep mode then by all means - but one pedal driving just seems more natural to me.

oh when I returned my leased ID3 and went back to our ICE mini cooper, two pedals, no instant torque, and no regen was actually quite a shock!

• Funny
Reactions: CaptainC