Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I’m buying AP FOR $ 3k does it come with summon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No summon with regular Auto Pilot.
Includes the adaptive cruise control which accelerates and brakes and the steering/lane assist which will steer your car between lines so can drive itself* on most highways** as long as you never change lanes.

Anything else is not included.
The tech is quite impressive but still makes me nervous relying on it.

I’m thinking about paying the $3000 to get auto pilot but I don’t know what comes with it . Can any1 help?

When was your car built? If you bought it after they changed the packages in late Feb 2019, then you have to buy AP and FSD to get Summon. If you bought your car prior to that, you can get Summon by just purchasing Enhanced Autopilot if that is still available on your My Tesla page.

If you have a Feb 2019 or later car, AP comes with traffic aware cruise control and Autosteer. Summon, Autopark, Navigate on Autopilot, Auto Lane Change, and Smart Summon are not included.

No summon with regular Auto Pilot.
Includes the adaptive cruise control which accelerates and brakes and the steering/lane assist which will steer your car between lines so can drive itself* on most highways** as long as you never change lanes.

Anything else is not included.
The tech is quite impressive but still makes me nervous relying on it.
Do you think it’s worth $3000?

When was your car built? If you bought it after they changed the packages in late Feb 2019, then you have to buy AP and FSD to get Summon. If you bought your car prior to that, you can get Summon by just purchasing Enhanced Autopilot if that is still available on your My Tesla page.

If you have a Feb 2019 or later car, AP comes with traffic aware cruise control and Autosteer. Summon, Autopark, Navigate on Autopilot, Auto Lane Change, and Smart Summon are not included.
I purchased mine April 2019

Do you think it’s worth $3000?

Yes, I do but I also drive a lot! About 35,000 miles a year and most all of that is highway driving.
It is something I am very glad to have in my car and would definitely pay the $3K for.
I am still learning my way with it.
Is amazing how well it can follow a car ahead. Sometimes when you are approaching stopped/slowed traffic at a high rate of speed the braking is applied too late for my taste so I do now overtake the control in those situations. The slow moving stop and go can be really nice to have it, and open highway stretches with no traffic it is great too.

The auto steer you have to watch over in areas of merging lanes and exit lanes so I don't use as much. Also the nags to tug the wheel are sometimes more annoying than just letting the wheel be still not in auto steer for open highway stretches with no curves. I did recently discover that any adjustment to the radio controls on the steering wheel is as good as moving the wheel when nagged.

I also think the current basic AP will see improvements with new versions of software. Not to the level that FSD will improve in time but regular AP will also get better I believe. I think some users have reported it is better in V10 for example, I still have V9 software in the car.

If the $3000 package is FSD on top of what was originally called EAP (I recently made this upgrade) then yes, Enhance Summon and other FSD features will be available. If you did not buy AP or EAP (if your purchase was in 2018) then I am not sure what the current $3k purchase buys you.

I purchased mine April 2019

Gotcha, so the $3k gets you traffic aware cruise (a biggie) and Autosteer, which I find to be very useful, but is somewhat dependent on how much freeway driving you do daily. I do lots.

To get the rest of the stuff, you will have to pony up for the FSD package in addition to the $3k AP package. That value proposition is a bit more dicey in my opinion. Yes, auto lane change IS nice, but I don’t use any of the other features. Some people love NoA and Summon, depends on your use case. But you could wait for a free trial period to try that stuff out.

You mean if you bought the car *before* they changed the packages {which made AP included in the car by default) in February 2019. I bought my car in December 2018. Pretty sure EAP was already discontinued at that point because that was not and is not an option in my account.

If the $3000 package is FSD on top of what was originally called EAP (I recently made this upgrade) then yes, Enhance Summon and other FSD features will be available. If you did not buy AP or EAP (if your purchase was in 2018) then I am not sure what the current $3k purchase buys you.

The current $3k just gives you AP, nothing more. You need either EAP or AP+FSD to get Smart Summon.

Last edited:
I purchased my model 3 in June 1st. And I wonder how long it takes once I make the payment to start using AP.

I purchased my model 3 in June 1st. And I wonder how long it takes once I make the payment to start using AP.

The software and hardware is on the car. All you need is a fairly short OTA update from Tesla HQ.

I think they say three working days, but I’ve heard some folks got it a lot sooner than that - probably depends on how busy the HQ support staff is.