Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I’m so disappointed with the service center on my new MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my Model Y back from service. The issues I submitted to them to fix were:

1. Passenger window wasn't flush also wasn't really sealing as a result.
  2. The area on the passenger side where the charge port is on the driver side is scratched
  3. The rear cladding under the bumper had a scratch/scuff mark
  4. The driver window triangle piece where the mirror is wasn't attached correctly and moves when the window goes up and down.
  5. The trim on the exterior had marks all over it. I think this may just be wax when they waxed the car and will come off but reported it just in case
  6. The driver and passenger wheel well cladding/surround weren't flush with the door like they should be
  7. There was a small white dot on the passenger A pillar that wasn't blue...
  8. The passenger rear window corner was missing a small section of the rubber gasket/trim
  9. Left mirror has the issue others have posted about where it can't be moved much. I originally thought this only affected tall drivers but I'm only 5'5" and this was a huge issue for me. I cut someone off because I can't ge the mirror to go over enough to see more than the rear quarter panel.
  10. There were some light marks/scratches on the driver B pillar.
  11. There is a scratch on the rear driver door.
  12. There is a dark smudge on one of the rear headrests
Now here’s what they did:
  1. They realigned the door so now it doesn’t sit flush with the car/the rear door. I specifically asked them NOT to touch the door alignments because all of the doors were perfect on my car when I picked it up. The window sits properly now but this is not what I wanted.
  2. Looks like they tried cleaning the charge port door? Couldn’t tell exactly since I picked it up in the dark and my garage isn’t very bright but looks like they just wiped the passenger side plastic piece and further scratched it in the process.
  3. Didn’t fix the rear cladding said part was ordered but mobile service had to do it.
  4. Doesn’t look like they even tried to fix it..? Also they moved the alignment on my driver side door (WHY???! There was no reason to move this!) so now my driver side window doesn’t sit flush and the rear door isn’t aligned with the driver door anymore.
  5. The black metal trim around the windows looks unchanged. They even called me to clarify what the issue was. There are still huge smudges all over it. It’s got like hazy portions.
  6. I honestly don’t think they fixed the rear wheel well arch plastic pieces. I think what they tried to do was realign the BACK doors to stick out more so the real plastic looked like it wasn’t as off as it was and then as a result had to realign the front doors trying to make it less obvious. It looks pretty crappy now. I’m SOOOO disappointed. You better believe I messaged them back through the app and I plan on just showing up on Monday to demand to talk to the manager to have these address the correct way and have all my doors realigned so they fit together.
  7. They fixed this. I’m nervous to look to see if I had huge swirl marks where this was. Will have to check tomorrow in the light.
  8. They fixed this rubber gasket misalignment
  9. They fixed the mirror adjustment issue
  10. Didn’t fix. Said they ordered a part and mobile service would install
  11. Couldn’t tell will look in daylight tomorrow to see if corrected
  12. Didn’t fix. Honestly not sure what they plan to do with this. Didn’t even address it as far as I know.
Honestly I’m beyond upset at the work they did. They fixed 2 issues (potentially 4 when I get to check the car in the sunlight tomorrow) out of 12. And in the process they introduced 4 new issues with the doors all being misaligned with each other now. I’m SOOO upset about this. I’m scared to even have them try to fix the passenger door because maybe they can’t fix the door alignment without ruining the window fit? I honestly don’t know why they even touched the driver door unless they were trying to make the misalignment less obvious with the rear door after they adjusted the rear door to fit the rear wheel trim that sticks out too far. Honestly I am beyond words that they thought that is an acceptable fix. The rear trim sticks out like a half centimeter more than it should and they tried adjusting the door the same amount to make it flush. And they still didn’t even make it flush! I mean really who did this fix? And now my driver window doesn’t fit properly and sticks out. This was the issue they were fixing on the passenger side. Why on earth would they think this is acceptable on the driver side??

Images of original issues: imgur.com

New door alignment issues: Door alignment

It’s hard to tell in my garage lighting. I’ll take better pics tomorrow outside of the poor alignment on the doors.

That's awful. I recently had a mildly underwheling experience with a Tesla SC and not looking forward to going back. I may try another location, but generally the few I have been to all are motivated by selling you the car, once that's done, the energy around providing sufficient service is nearly absent.

Reactions: WiseShepherd
I am having similar issues with my Y, with two trips to the SC to resolve delivery issues. I am waiting for my 3rd appointment, which this time is at a Tesla owned body shop. Each time my Y was given back to my they fixed, or partially fixed issues, but caused new ones. (paint issues (overspray, new chip, making door alignments worse, etc.) I still enjoy the car, just less when I notice the issues. I kick myself for not rejecting delivery and trying again.

That's awful. I recently had a mildly underwheling experience with a Tesla SC and not looking forward to going back. I may try another location, but generally the few I have been to all are motivated by selling you the car, once that's done, the energy around providing sufficient service is nearly absent.
Yeah I kind of want to try the other service center but I also don’t want to drive further to get service since it’s quite out of the way.

I am having similar issues with my Y, with two trips to the SC to resolve delivery issues. I am waiting for my 3rd appointment, which this time is at a Tesla owned body shop. Each time my Y was given back to my they fixed, or partially fixed issues, but caused new ones. (paint issues (overspray, new chip, making door alignments worse, etc.) I still enjoy the car, just less when I notice the issues. I kick myself for not rejecting delivery and trying again.
Oh man that’s awful I’m sorry. They fixed a paint issue on my a pillar and I am terrified to go look for overspray or something of that nature. I don’t know how they fixed the issue. Honestly I’m wishing I didn’t even mention it as an issue because it was hardly noticeable and looking at the other work they did I’m worried their fix will be more noticeable.

Tesla needs to put on their advertisements: "Batteries included, some assembly required."

I knew the SC's were incompetent, so I did all those type of adjustments to my Model 3 myself, and your post just further validates that they would have broken more than they fixed if I would have let them do it.

Our Model Y was surprisingly in good shape when we picked it up. It's a roll of the dice with these guys.

Oh man that’s awful I’m sorry. They fixed a paint issue on my a pillar and I am terrified to go look for overspray or something of that nature. I don’t know how they fixed the issue. Honestly I’m wishing I didn’t even mention it as an issue because it was hardly noticeable and looking at the other work they did I’m worried their fix will be more noticeable.

Now that Tesla opened their own body shop (in Thornton I believe), I hope the quality of the work might be better.

I guess I’m lucky that the SC I use (it’s only a SC, no sales at the location) did a great job realigning my passenger door post delivery.

Perhaps, try a Tesla approved body shop if the other SC in your area can’t fix? The only negative is you’d have to pay them but it may get fixed right the first time.

I guess I’m lucky that the SC I use (it’s only a SC, no sales at the location) did a great job realigning my passenger door post delivery.

Perhaps, try a Tesla approved body shop if the other SC in your area can’t fix? The only negative is you’d have to pay them but it may get fixed right the first time.
Yeah that’s an option. I guess I’ll see what happens when I just show up and express my unhappiness and go from there.

My recommendation is not to put in a laundry list of things to fix when you go to the SC.

It may take longer, but in my experience choosing 2-3 issues for them to focus on is the sweet spot. Switching between the SC and Mobile tech is also good because at least with Mobile techs you can be there in person to ensure they fix to your liking prior to them leaving.

Reactions: 2101Guy
My recommendation is not to put in a laundry list of things to fix when you go to the SC.

It may take longer, but in my experience choosing 2-3 issues for them to focus on is the sweet spot. Switching between the SC and Mobile tech is also good because at least with Mobile techs you can be there in person to ensure they fix to your liking prior to them leaving.
It’s really sad that that is the case.
if i had only 2 of those issues i would reject the car. Im not paid by Testa to do their qc.
It really wasn’t all that bad when I got it. The biggest thing was the passenger window which I figured wouldn’t be a big issue. The other issues they could just exchange trim pieces and it’d be right as rain. I was wrong of course.
Just out of curiosity, when did you order this vehicle? Was it one of the early deliveries?
I ordered 11/21 and picked up 12/22 so pretty recent. Granted it was part of that end of year push.

It’s really sad that that is the case.

I agree, but I like to think of it as basic human psychology. The rule of 3 will get more focus vs. a dozen line items. SCs are typically busy and they're likely trying to prioritize to a certain extent as well. I will say it is also key to find the right SA. I've gotten push back from one SA, but then another SA was willing to work with me and get all my issues resolved. Once I found a SA that actually gives a crap about his job then I always requested that SA to be my advisor when I dropped off my car. My issues were all fixed, but at times fixing one issue led to the creation of 2-3 other issues (esp the issues with my door/alignment)

Hang in there. Confident that you'll be able to see most (or all) of your issues resolved. The car is a joy to drive, so hopefully that overcompensates for all the issues you see right now

Reactions: kadify
Well just got back after driving to the SC to talk to the manager. And wouldn't you know it was a really nice and sunny day (mid 40s) so my windows closed all the way when I got to the SC. They looked perfect. I explained to the manager that in the cold the windows lower like half a centimeter or whatever they do and this causes the window to protrude. I said the issue is, the window is aligned properly so it doesn't hug the rubber as it goes up, it is only at the very top of closing when it tucks inside the metal trim that the window becomes flush with the car. He said that was normal, then took me to 3 other cars, including his own, and none of them operated that way. They all hugged the rubber/stayed close to the car all the way up, LOL.

So anyway guess I need to take a video of it doing what it does because even with picture evidence he said it looked fine but if it was indeed sticking out as my picture shows then it isn't normal and they will fix it. Regardless, he didn't address why any of my doors were adjusted when I specifically asked for none to be touched. I was so caught up in the window issue I completely forgot to mention the other issues to him. The only other issue I remembered was the wheel arch thing and he said that was within spec... Now get this, I picked my car up from this SC and only picked it up because the person I was working with said that wheel arch could be fixed lol. Soooo guess that's my fault for accepting a car with issues. At least the wheel arch isn't a huge issue.

Reactions: ilikemypizza
Went back to Littleton for service. Got a text from the SA asking me for 5 stars and I told him I couldn't do that and then he got the manager involved and they worked me in early with a loaner and everything. Spoke with the manager and the service tech that will be personally working on my car so I am hopeful that things work out well this time! This is the last chance I'm giving them though. I initially had an appointment with Superior later this week and will be moving my servicing to there if We can't get these issues fixed properly at Littleton.

Reactions: WiseShepherd