Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I’ll bet... augmented reality HUD on plaid!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tomas

Out of warranty...
Supporting Member
Oct 22, 2012
Santa Barbara/New York
For quite a while, I’ve wondered why no HUD on any Tesla. I’ve deduced that they’ve been waiting until they can quantum leap existing HUD technology. As I look at all of the FSD visualizations on my 3 (my S is pre-AP), it occurs to me that it is dress rehearsal for augmented reality windshield HUD. When? Well, when the S gets a refresh and suddenly has to compete with Lucid and all of the other BEVs entering the luxury market. That way they can use the 3/Y landscape center screen, vents, yet differentiate a “luxury” S/X.

Am I nuts? I’m sure you’ll tell me. Is there already a thread? I’ve missed it, but I’m sure I’ll get consolidated. :)

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA and cucubits
Have you seen the new Cadillac Escalade?! I'm so jealous of that AR navigation they have in the instrument cluster. But, then I thought, Tesla can do it in the Model S/X with only a software change (hopefully). I mean, the cars already have the hard part - the hardware: front camera, instrument cluster screen, MCU needed to process the AR. Forget HUD, I'd like some of that visualization in the cluster!

Have you seen the new Cadillac Escalade?! I'm so jealous of that AR navigation they have in the instrument cluster. But, then I thought, Tesla can do it in the Model S/X with only a software change (hopefully). I mean, the cars already have the hard part - the hardware: front camera, instrument cluster screen, MCU needed to process the AR. Forget HUD, I'd like some of that visualization in the cluster!
Personally I’d really like AR on windshield. Doing it on S IC too small, and on main screen requires eyes off road.

Reactions: BigNick
By the way, I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but you know how the IC visualization shows road hazard cones? I was passing by a set of 3 the other day and the one in the middle was laying on its side. This visualization showed this!! Is this common knowledge? I haven't ran across a comment about it. I thought it was cool.

For quite a while, I’ve wondered why no HUD on any Tesla. I’ve deduced that they’ve been waiting until they can quantum leap existing HUD technology. As I look at all of the FSD visualizations on my 3 (my S is pre-AP), it occurs to me that it is dress rehearsal for augmented reality windshield HUD. When? Well, when the S gets a refresh and suddenly has to compete with Lucid and all of the other BEVs entering the luxury market. That way they can use the 3/Y landscape center screen, vents, yet differentiate a “luxury” S/X.

Am I nuts? I’m sure you’ll tell me. Is there already a thread? I’ve missed it, but I’m sure I’ll get consolidated. :)
No you are not nuts. You are correct - HUD AR in Plaid.