Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I’ll get roasted but here goes anyway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Get yourself the keyfob. There I said it. I know the car was designed and sold to not need one, and when it works, the phone as a key is great, but as many of you have figured out with phone software updates, the phone doesn’t work as well as it once did as a key. It’s hit or miss. The app has to stay open for many. I got the keyfob 6 months ago and it’s flawless every single time. Yeah it’s 150 dollars, so it’s up to each person whether they find the value, but if you can afford a Tesla then you can afford 150 dollars. Purchase one. Not only is it a great conversation piece because it’s the best looking fob, but no more frustration with getting in the car.

Get yourself the keyfob. There I said it. I know the car was designed and sold to not need one, and when it works, the phone as a key is great, but as many of you have figured out with phone software updates, the phone doesn’t work as well as it once did as a key. It’s hit or miss. The app has to stay open for many. I got the keyfob 6 months ago and it’s flawless every single time. Yeah it’s 150 dollars, so it’s up to each person whether they find the value, but if you can afford a Tesla then you can afford 150 dollars. Purchase one. Not only is it a great conversation piece because it’s the best looking fob, but no more frustration with getting in the car.

You do know there's a keycard too? (for when the phone fails). I've seen some pretty creative conversions to make the keycard more "interesting".

Especially in the rain, I don’t want to pull out anything to unlock the car, I want to simply grab the handle and it unlock. The proximity in the keyfob works every single time.

99% of us have no issues with the phone 99% of the time (myself included). The idea of carrying around a redundant device (keys, yuck) is bonkers to me. What phone are you using?

While I don't have the keyfob yet I do think it's very useful and I might get it in the future. Especially for unlocking the frunk it's great. This is just not possible with keycard and very annoying with the phone app. I've had no issues yet with my phone though so I really like that for just getting into the car. But opening the frunk is my only real annoyance with phone as key.

I ordered several accessories before receiving my car. The first thing I ordered after getting my car was the key fob. I much prefer it, Luddite that I am.

iPhone 11

Yup, saw lots of threads about iPhone 11 is worst as "key" than previous versions. Phone as key is highly dependent on the phone. So if you phone doesn't work, getting keyfob is wise. If the phone works 95% of the time, really the keyfob is an extra thing you have to carry for no reason. I have MX and M3 and I really hated I have to take the keyfob when we drive the X.

Reactions: Rogue Synapse
Have had perfect performance from both my iPhone X, and iPhone 11 99.5% of the time. I can only think of maybe two times I’ve had to pull my phone out of my pocket, and one of those times was my fault because I had turned my Bluetooth off. I’d make sure your settings are all correct...

Reactions: richyrich
I have a smartphone case that fits my ID, credit card, and Tesla card. I walk out of the house with my phone only - no keys and no wallet. I don't really have any interest in going back to a way of life where I have to leave the house with a phone, wallet, and keys. The car unlocks the majority of the time. If it doesn't, all I have to do is hold my smartphone up to the key card reader and it will recognize the card and open every time.

Have had perfect performance from both my iPhone X, and iPhone 11 99.5% of the time. I can only think of maybe two times I’ve had to pull my phone out of my pocket, and one of those times was my fault because I had turned my Bluetooth off. I’d make sure your settings are all correct...

Ditto... (on an iphone X)

It's great they finally offer a passive entry fob (the first version without it was possibly the dumbest product I've ever seen... it didn't do the one and only thing you'd actually want in a "replacement" phone key) but have seen no need for it.

Its also somewhat dependent on where you actually have your phone. Many men now keep todays giant sized phones in their back pocket(s) and phone as key does not work very well through your body. if the phone is in your back pocket, turn sideways so that your butt is at least parallel to the door and it will open every time.

This depends on the size of the person of course... some people are smaller so it works through their bodies better than others.

I have a gen 1 fob and only use when I drop the car off at tesla service, or the very few occasions I have let someone else drive my car. Gen 1 fob does not have proximity, and I use the fob so little I dont need to have the gen 2 one.

At least for iphones, once people understand it doesnt work through your butt, it works better.

Reactions: Vapourick and bpjod
Not only my Android phone automatically unlocks my car when I walk toward the car, my August Smart Lock automatically unlocks my door going into the house from the garage as I park my car in the garage also with my Android phone. Oh, my Homelink also automagically opens my garage door as my car approaches to the garage door. Life could not be easier.

Peter