Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I’ll get roasted but here goes anyway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am TOTALLY with you. Love the fob. Besides the fact that my phone doesn't always open the door in a timely fashion (I don't like standing in quick moving traffic in the rain waiting for my door to open), I attached my house keys to the fob so can jump in my car for a quick trip without my phone if I want. I never got into the card key.

Get yourself the keyfob. There I said it. I know the car was designed and sold to not need one, and when it works, the phone as a key is great, but as many of you have figured out with phone software updates, the phone doesn’t work as well as it once did as a key. It’s hit or miss. The app has to stay open for many. I got the keyfob 6 months ago and it’s flawless every single time. Yeah it’s 150 dollars, so it’s up to each person whether they find the value, but if you can afford a Tesla then you can afford 150 dollars. Purchase one. Not only is it a great conversation piece because it’s the best looking fob, but no more frustration with getting in the car.
Why would one need the fob? There’s the card option. I admit I’ve had to use it occasionally, annoyingly. I have a simple ID wallet with my Tesla card immediately behind my driver’s license. I can slam that against the side post and I’m in, without taking it out of my wallet!

A fob wouldn’t be so simple. I often wonder why when it doesn’t open for me does it have to be raining and my hands are full!

I have the first version of the Model 3 fob where it doesn't have the passive entry function. And I like it that way. I'd rather have a button that needs pushing, rather than one that works (or doesn't) the same way a phone does (or doesn't). I had a BMW key/fob combination for almost 20 years and I'm used to the fact of a button.

Now, this does not mean I always open/lock my car using the fob. I carry my phone almost 100% of the time I go out and it usually unlocks when I approach. However, it's not 100% of the time. Every so often the car does not recognize my (phone's) presence and that's when I push the button on the fob in my pocket.

Get yourself the keyfob. There I said it. I know the car was designed and sold to not need one, and when it works, the phone as a key is great, but as many of you have figured out with phone software updates, the phone doesn’t work as well as it once did as a key. It’s hit or miss. The app has to stay open for many. I got the keyfob 6 months ago and it’s flawless every single time. Yeah it’s 150 dollars, so it’s up to each person whether they find the value, but if you can afford a Tesla then you can afford 150 dollars. Purchase one. Not only is it a great conversation piece because it’s the best looking fob, but no more frustration with getting in the car.

The keyfob should be free. There I said it.

That’s not true. my app stayed closed all the time and it worked flawlessly and then it stopped working that way and that’s when I purchased the fob because I cannot keep my app open all the time I am too OCD and close my apps out by habit.

Whatever you want to think. 100% of the time if my app isn't running in the background the car will not open.

I got one for my wife last Christmas. She loves it and says it works without issue left it in her purse. Me? I’m the guy standing in the snow outside the gym/market/restaurant/etc. fumbling to pull my phone out of my pocket to launch the app after having walked up to the car, ever hopeful, that I can simply open the door but instead end up activating Sentry mode. (Snickers from nearby drivers.) Guys, if you don’t like a fob, for any car, in your pocket do what Coloradans do, grab an extra carabiner, hook it into your belt loop an forget about it. (Until you change your pants ;-)

I am glad the keyfob works so well for you.
I don't believe anyone that is critical of your statements is doing so because of your stance for yourself.
Where you get strong disagreement is where you tell everyone else to get a keyfob.

I get great results with the phone (iPhone 8 and 11) and very much appreciate not having a fob to lug around. So for me, the phone is the best option.
For YOU, it isn't, and rightfully so you are enjoying the use of the fob. That is great, just please don't tell me to get the fob.

Reactions: Florafauna
Since moving to iPhone 11 Pro Max last year Phone Key has been unreliable. Maybe fails 30% of the time. I’m considering buying a key fob because I use the frunk 2x every week day, but honestly I don’t really want to go back to a carrying key fob.

How big are they relative to a normal cars key fob?

My IPhone 8 has never once not worked.
If it started acting up on me or requiring me to open the app occasionally to work ; I would buy a Key FOB.

Carrying one less thing is a great benefit to me.
If my phone acted up, after having worked perfectly for ages, I'd just re-pair it. Remove the app, boot, re-download, then re-pair. That'd be the first thing I'd try.

As with lots of other accessories I'm considering, I'm going to go into "wait and see" mode with respect to if I want a fob. For now, I'm going with "no," but if the phone app starts giving me a lot of grief, I may plunk down the cash for the fob. I'm still going to be carrying things on a carabiner keychain for a while (mini Swiss army knife, USB key drive, house key, PO box key), so one more thing won't be that big a deal if needed. Still, I'm hoping I won't need to spend the $150. :)