Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I’m an idiot!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

X.l.r.8

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2018
Toronto/Tampa
So I went and plugged my car in to the charger I last used when the charging packed up on me. It failed on my again with a #981
I drove home slowly on range mode and lo and behold, same issue. I’m in panic mode at this point. But wait, a year of researching I remember to actually look at the screen. It’s climbing to 54v the. Shutting down. Try my 120v cable and the same. Try the Tesla UMC with both 240 and 110v reduced to 12A. Why not try my open EVSE. Same every time. In a worrying 10 minutes I check the fuses in the PEM. And one shows no continuity. I make a solid link to bypass the fuse. I know it’s there for a reason, but it’s on the charger side and I’m looking at this.

1A2960DD-C0D8-4707-8A8E-77319F5B3274.jpeg

Thankfully it charging again. I have to look up where the fuses can be obtained. I’m sure someone found a cheap supply so I’ll get it juiced up and pull the plug until a replacement can be found.
Just thought I’d share.

Reactions: ICON
I don’t know if Canadian cars have a different fuse?? But that’s what’s in there. I found a few new ones for $25 each so I have a couple. My next stop will be the workshop manuals to get some resolution on the right fuse. Right now it’s charging nicely so I’m not going to worry

No I believe it. I had the same numbers written down. I know the 1.5 is a different rating, in one thread. In another it doesn’t distinguish and simply states JJS150. I’m assuming they are the same rating/size physically. Both mine are the other type so it’s not a case of one replaced with whatever works.

So I have looked at all the PEM rebuilds and the JJS150 I think refers to the one inside the PEM, not the 2 that are exclusively for the input under the PEM small cover. Every picture I can see under the PEM small cover from 1.5 to 2.5 shows the FWH 150B fuses.

From what I recall of the field repair of the fuses in my car by JB Straubel at Harris Ranch, the ones in the 1.5 Roadster are 125A whereas the ones in the 2.x Roadsters are 150A. He temporarily moved the fuses from his 2.x car into mine so we could charge to get home, but then we had to take the car to the SC in Menlo Park to get new fuses of the correct rating put in. So I have posted a photo in another thread here where you can see the FWH 150B fuses in my car, but that was after the swap.

There is no PEM small cover on the 1.5; we had to take off the full-length cover.

Lol, your pictures were the ones where I confirmed they were the same. I stand corrected, and also wondered why the fuses were the wrong side of the PEM but thought it was just a relocation think on later cars. I did wonder why they took the whole cover off, that's where I extrapolated it was one of the internal fuses, all explained now and can safely put the new 150A fuses in.

Last edited:
Well, now I can confirm that my 1.5 car does have 150A fuses (FWH-150B) installed, so either my recollection of 125A fuses was wrong, or maybe the fuse spec was changed at some point, perhaps when the R80 installation was done. I did not think to note the PEM serial number before the upgrade in order to tell whether the PEM was swapped or just updated.