TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

I’m not like (most of) you…and that’s a good thing!

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by 1deepthink, Aug 3, 2018.

1. 1deepthink

1deepthink Member

I’m new here. That’s in stark contrast to a very high percentage of you that have been patiently waiting for 2+ years. My hat’s off to you! Your commitment to this amazing game changing company will have far reaching benefits.

I’m not like (most of) you because I was simply in the market for a +/- $50K car mid-July. I’m a thorough guy so trust me, I looked at and drove many options. Painful to say the least and my phone continues to blow up from the sales people. But, then I walked into the Tesla sales center that’s about ¼ mile from my office and everything changed.
    You know the story from there...

I’m also not like (many of) you because I don’t have a history of eco-friendly cars as it seems many of you do based on trade-ins. I drive a big V-8 Audi and love it! But, when I drove the Model 3 the transition was instant.
    You know the story from there...

I’m one of those non-reservation orders that was referred to on the Q2 call. I simply bought the best car on the market and I believe there is a sea of buyers behind me that will follow suit!

So now I wait! But I do so humbly knowing that most of you have done so for over 2 years. I can certainly make it for 2 months….maybe!

• Like x 16
    • Love x 4
    • Funny x 2
    • Informative x 1
  2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Hi welcome ...what did u end up ordering ?

3. CUBldr97

CUBldr97 Member

congrats and welcome to the future... you won't regret it at all...well unless you get in an accident...hopefully with the Model 3 though the mass production car will increase parts availability and wait times for repairs will be close to normal...

• Like x 1
  4. 1deepthink

1deepthink Member

Deep Blue Metallic, LR, AWD, 19" Sport, EAP, FSD
    7/19/18 Order, $2,500
    7/27/18 Add FSD
    Sept '18 - Nov '18 estimate
    Delivery Salt Lake City

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  5. Chris350

Chris350 Member

The 2 year/2 Month/15 day wait was painful..

Watching this forum made even more so.....

But, all that changed when arrival day got here.... and I love the car....

After driving it for less than a month.... 4 updates.... and dropping it off at Service to have a few delivery issues corrected (driving a loaner 75 S), I have been completely sold on Tesla... Not only as a car.... but as a company...

So, you will wait.... maybe 4 weeks - maybe 8..... But the wait will be worth it.... painful (if you keep reading here)... But WELL worth it...

• Like x 2
  6. cbutters

cbutters Member

Hey, I'm a Salt Lake City area guy too! Despite owner status and reserving in 2016, You'll probably get yours before I get mine I'm sure. :p If you do get yours we should start some sort of meetup. Also, if you have any questions about charging / etc... let me know as I've done a lot of work in this area, even self-installed 2 load balanced wall connectors in my garage.

• Helpful x 1
  7. roblab

roblab Active Member

I coulda ordered AWD, but like getting sport wheels or FSD, I couldn't see any pressing reason to wait that long. I read every day how people are "waiting". I've had my 3 for months now. Still don't need AWD, still don't want FSD. And I've had the fun of putting over 7000 miles on it.

8. Trips

Trips "Boring bonehead questions are not cool. Next?"

@1deepthink Stradman we know it's you. You don't have to hide your Model 3 from your Hypercar friends and YouTube viewers. They will all be buying a Model 3 or next gen roadster some day soon.

• Funny x 1
  9. 1deepthink

1deepthink Member

@Trips what's "Stradman".

10. 1deepthink

1deepthink Member

Thanks for the offer! Electrical is probably the one area I have an advantage. We do a lot of real estate related things which includes being a licensed electrician. Tesla charger just arrived yesterday. :)

11. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

#11 Rockster, Aug 3, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    Welcome! I was just like you. My wife and I owned BMW's, Porsche's, and a mix of other sporty and utilitarian cars. Five years ago, we were bored one summer day and for something to do we test drove a Tesla Model S, out of curiosity. We were instantly hooked, solely on the merits of the car. Since then, we've grown out of love with internal combustion vehicles and we've added solar to our roof so that we can make money from the sun. The amazing Tesla car has pulled us into the Tesla ecosystem and we're having great fun enjoying the cars, the shared owner experience, and the anticipation of even more amazing things from Musk and his various pursuits.

This forum is a wealth of information on all things Tesla and EV, so feel free to ask away.

• Like x 2
  12. 1deepthink

1deepthink Member

Clearly lots of car enthusiasts here of all types! I'm just way behind most of you on getting in line...taking my place.

13. woodisgood

woodisgood Member

Yup I can kind of echo your sentiments. We were late to the reservation (April 2018) even though we had many friends who were first day reservation-holders. We had never even driven a Tesla (ridden in a few Model S though). We never had an EV or even a hybrid, despite living in the city and driving a ton. We had never purchased a new car over 35K.

We hoped to hold out for the base model and anticipated that was going to be our next car when our 2008 Acura with 160K miles kicked the bucket. The upgraded models currently being sold were out of the price range we were used to spending on a vehicle so we never even gave them consideration. Then my wife's daily driver was totaled a few weeks ago in a relatively minor collision, so we were suddenly in the market. Almost closed the deal several times on a used Prius plugin to hold us over for a year or two but the stealership process was so so SO incredibly irritating. We walked away several times due to poor behavior, deception, etc., and after two weeks of hunting, were really burnt out.

One day after a particularly frustrating encounter with a salesman (who I am now very thankful to), we looked at each other and said half-jokingly, "F this, let's just get the long-range Model 3 now." Turned out the math (with all the incentives factored in, as well as the hassle of buying a temporary vehicle) looked palatable enough to my usually extremely fiscally conservative better half. We configured that evening. Much to our surprise, we took delivery 10 days later.

The funny thing is we were ready to make a deal on that pre-owned Prius that day. The salesman just turned out to be a condescending and rude fellow when we started negotiating, which quickly turned my wife off.

Sometimes it just feels like certain things were meant to be.

• Like x 4
  14. NathanielHrnblwr

15. jdmasters

jdmasters Member

welcome to wait club

• Like x 1
  16. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Welcome.

17. TrickyDimitri

TrickyDimitri Soon...very soon.

28 months after my reservation, and I am still excitedly awaiting my car. If you reserved then, now, or somewhere in between, most of us are just happy to see people this excited about an EV. Owners will be and are the best sales reps, so glad to have more.