Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I’m scared I’ll beach / bottom out my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Llama.

Lurking somewhere up North
Jan 25, 2021
Who knows?
I’ve already very slightly scuffed the underside of my M3 just behind the front wheel, where I dropped it over a very low (3-4 )inch kerb and scuffed the battery tray.

I hadn’t considered the kerb was on the crest of a small hill so the rear of the car was already lower. This happened with only 200 miles on the car so I’m feeling very cautious about ground clearance. I’m loving the Highway cruising but I’ve never had a car this low.

Earlier today I was driving on some very very narrow roads in the Lake District in Northern England that were only just wide enough to pass oncoming cars even with wing mirrors folded.

What made things worse was the the narrow strip of tarmac is bounded by a 3-4 inch drop into long ruts at the road edge into the hardpacked dirt on either side. The roads were only just wide enough to pass and I found myself wincing as I gingerly put a half a tire width over that tarmac edge to enable cars to pass.

My question is what happens if you do put an outside front wheel over the edge of a road edge and bottom out the car?

Presumably you back out real slow, and then look anxiously underneath!

If I had plenty of willing helpers, I suppose they could help to carefully lift from the bumper and wheel arch to limit the scraping as the car backed out.

How worried are you about bottoming out your Tesla Model 3?

How would you go about getting your car unstuck if you did bottom out? Keeping in mind that getting help from the AAA isn’t going to be easy when you are in such a remote area with traffic backing up behind you.

Attachments

• 393673A6-653A-4F12-ABED-0FAC9E77DE51.jpeg
    393673A6-653A-4F12-ABED-0FAC9E77DE51.jpeg
    304 KB · Views: 170
  • 6E4AD849-BAE1-418E-A381-6D64287E3C7E.jpeg
    6E4AD849-BAE1-418E-A381-6D64287E3C7E.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 114
  • 4E434204-0AF9-47B0-B0B0-6743D784924D.jpeg
    4E434204-0AF9-47B0-B0B0-6743D784924D.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
I’ve already very slightly scuffed the underside of my M3 just behind the front wheel, where I dropped it over a very low (3-4 )inch kerb and scuffed the battery tray.

I hadn’t considered the kerb was on the crest of a small hill so the rear of the car was already lower. This happened with only 200 miles on the car so I’m feeling very cautious about ground clearance. I’m loving the Highway cruising but I’ve never had a car this low.

Earlier today I was driving on some very very narrow roads in the Lake District in Northern England that were only just wide enough to pass oncoming cars even with wing mirrors folded.

What made things worse was the the narrow strip of tarmac is bounded by a 3-4 inch drop into long ruts at the road edge into the hardpacked dirt on either side. The roads were only just wide enough to pass and I found myself wincing as I gingerly put a half a tire width over that tarmac edge to enable cars to pass.

My question is what happens if you do put an outside front wheel over the edge of a road edge and bottom out the car?

Presumably you back out real slow, and then look anxiously underneath!

If I had plenty of willing helpers, I suppose they could help to carefully lift from the bumper and wheel arch to limit the scraping as the car backed out.

How worried are you about bottoming out your Tesla Model 3?

How would you go about getting your car unstuck if you did bottom out? Keeping in mind that getting help from the AAA isn’t going to be easy when you are in such a remote area with traffic backing up behind you.
I reckon I’d feel the same as I would in any car: a grimace, that feeling of damaging something new and shiny, followed by gently reversing out and driving off before forgetting that anything ever happened.

At least that’s what happened to me until you brought the painful memory back. :)

Seriously though, I think the underside is pretty tough so I, personally, wouldn’t be worried about much beyond cosmetic damage.

Reactions: Llama.