Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I’m sorry I claimed Tesla support was helpful

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my car for ten months and I've never noticed it slow down on curves. Why would it? I have it set to go 5mph above the speed limit. If it wasn't safe to do that on curves then there would be a specific speed limit limitation for that curve, no?
Or are you guys on that Beta or some type of early adopter program that I don't have?

I've had my car for ten months and I've never noticed it slow down on curves. Why would it? I have it set to go 5mph above the speed limit. If it wasn't safe to do that on curves then there would be a specific speed limit limitation for that curve, no?
Or are you guys on that Beta or some type of early adopter program that I don't have?
Not normal highway curves, it does slow down on curves merging onto another highway. The types that takes you off the Main highway and on to another one, the ones I take are like high over pass.

Fred

Going West on the 54 and onto the I-5 freeway, this is a very high bridge and speeds of 80 mph while on the 54, as it crosses over this bridge on-ramp connecting the I-5 it will slow from 80 to 60 to ensure you don’t fly off this elevated road.

31BB7600-2A0B-4FBA-B35D-E4529B0F023B.jpeg

I’d like to apologize. I’ve been telling people that Tesla Support is very helpful if you call and ask for for help in a meaningful manner. I was wrong. .......
Despite the subject and description implication, can we at least admit that the actions of one or a few people ... be it great customer service or bad ... doesn't mean a certain company has overall good or bad service. One conversation with one unhelpful guy doesn't mean that apparently Tesla has bad customer service. At least let's all try to represent all interactions we've had with them and rate our own experience collectively.

Whether or not you agree with the reason for the service call, I’d say the response was unacceptable from a customer interaction point of view. Tesla is not going to be the only game in town for too long.
As much as we pay for these vehicles Tesla's customer service "bedside manner" really lacks anything remotely close to good customer service. Even trying to connect to a service center is a pain too that shouldn't happen. Glad to see however that Tesla will be investing in more service centers!

Reactions: dogphlap
Despite the subject and description implication, can we at least admit that the actions of one or a few people ... be it great customer service or bad ... doesn't mean a certain company has overall good or bad service. One conversation with one unhelpful guy doesn't mean that apparently Tesla has bad customer service. At least let's all try to represent all interactions we've had with them and rate our own experience collectively.
I would say with my own personal experience its way more than one person...and seeing the number of times customer service is discussed throughout this forum, its prevalent with Tesla... not isolated....Love my car but their customer service really lacks!

Impressive you actually got a human.

Seems like a silly issue you were calling about so I don't blame them.

I had a flat tire near my house. I used the app to report it. Couple hours later, someone came over and put on a spare so I could use it to go to work that day. Then another tesla service guy came the next day and put on the new tire right there on my driveway. Paid via the app. So easy and convenient.

I’d like to apologize. I’ve been telling people that Tesla Support is very helpful if you call and ask for for help in a meaningful manner. I was wrong. I spoke with a representative today who refuse to take a report of the problems I’m having with auto pilot. He said “it would be a waste of resources to report what happened to you.” Rather than let an engineer decide what’s helpful he thought he knew better enter.

here’s what happened. On Sunday, I drove from the SF Bay Area to Crescent city. At 8:35 on 101N in Leggett, CA Autopilot stopped slowing down for curves. I stopped, put the car in park and resumed. No change. I stopped, did “Power Off” waited for 10 minutes before pressing the brake pedal. No change
Only after I supercharged In Crescent City at 3:30 pm did Autopilot begin slowing for curves again.

It seemed to me that there was a problem.

the telephone representatives answer? “Sir that is not a feature of Autopilot. Autopilot does not slow down for curves. The manual says don’t drive on curvy roads. And freeways don’t have curves. Therefore you must have been on city streets and we don’t support turns on city streets. You can’t expect beta features to work at all and we certainly don’t want feedback when they don’t work.”

Ps. Tesla support won’t talk to you now if you don’t know your range and odometer reading. That’s all it takes to prove you own the car. Range and odometer.

i love this car. But today I was treated like cr@p by Tesla and it doesn’t feel good.

pps: I asked for a call from the guys manager. Anyone want to bet I will never receive that call?
Unfortunate to have spoken to an undereducated individual; however, this does happen. Hopefully, you took down name and time of the call. My 85 D slows down for curves all the time, as most probably know, and I presume a Tesla standard feature in Autosteer, which I use all the time since the car is a better operator than me. My service is very good, and an organizations service should not be judged by one individual. I use the Renton location adjacent to Seattle.

I would say with my own personal experience its way more than one person...and seeing the number of times customer service is discussed throughout this forum, its prevalent with Tesla... not isolated....Love my car but their customer service really lacks!

It's a vicious cycle.

The customers are more upset so are harder for staff to deal with.
The overloaded customer service staff hate their job even more.
Staff turnover increases.
New are staff less productive.
The customers are more upset so are harder for staff to deal with.

Reactions: Rg3500
I’d like to apologize. I’ve been telling people that Tesla Support is very helpful if you call and ask for for help in a meaningful manner. I was wrong. I spoke with a representative today who refuse to take a report of the problems I’m having with auto pilot. He said “it would be a waste of resources to report what happened to you.” Rather than let an engineer decide what’s helpful he thought he knew better enter.

here’s what happened. On Sunday, I drove from the SF Bay Area to Crescent city. At 8:35 on 101N in Leggett, CA Autopilot stopped slowing down for curves. I stopped, put the car in park and resumed. No change. I stopped, did “Power Off” waited for 10 minutes before pressing the brake pedal. No change
Only after I supercharged In Crescent City at 3:30 pm did Autopilot begin slowing for curves again.

the telephone representatives answer? “Sir that is not a feature of Autopilot. Autopilot does not slow down for curves. The manual says don’t drive on curvy roads. And freeways don’t have curves. Therefore you must have been on city streets and we don’t support turns on city streets. You can’t expect beta features to work at all and we certainly don’t want feedback when they don’t work.”

Ps. Tesla support won’t talk to you now if you don’t know your range and odometer reading. That’s all it takes to prove you own the car. Range and odometer.

i love this car. But today I was treated like cr@p by Tesla and it doesn’t feel good.

pps: I asked for a call from the guys manager. Anyone want to bet I will never receive that call?
In the UK I think the CS team has been trained to be bad, there can be no other explanation for the inability to respond, inability to understand the problem and lack of knowledge .
It will be become known as Elon’s heel If it’s not sorted.
No business succeeds long term if it treats its customers like Tesla does.

Matthew,

I totally agree that the person you talked to didn't have to be a jerk about it. But anytime you call any company's support line, it's the luck of the draw. Sometimes you get somebody who is good at their job and sometimes you don't. So, yes, they could have handled your call in a more polite way, but the real thing to realize here is that the Tesla software folks are about 20 steps ahead of you. You should watch any of the various talks that Andrei Karpathy has given over the last couple of years about how their software development works. They are constantly harvesting data from the various vehicles in the fleet to get the data they need to train their software better and to find problems that actually are occurring. So the real way to give them feedback is to take control from AutoPilot. They are statistically sampling events from the fleet. It doesn't guarantee that your event will get harvested, but some of them clearly do. There is of course no practical way that they can upload even a tiny fraction of the gathered data from even one car in the fleet, but they have ways to triggering data gathering on significant events. This is their fundamental advantage over the other companies trying to do autonomous vehicle software. In Machine Learning, the rule is "He who has the most data wins". In the most recent talk I saw from Andrei he gave a detailed account of how they specifically put triggers in the software to capture exactly the situations that they were having trouble with. The example he used was cases in which a stop sign is in an odd orientation or partially obscured by foliage. It was pretty amazing to see the examples they had harvested from customer vehicles in real relevant situations. That data then gets processed and included in their "training sets".

Actually calling someone on the phone to report a software bug not the way the world works anymore.

Reactions: Rg3500
On the other hand I called Tesla support the other day with 2 questions:
1. When downloading sw via wifi will the download continue if you leave the car. Answer: yes

2. My dashcam thumbdrive stopped recording and 80% of the files on it had been corrupted. Solution: clean out and reformat the thumb drive. It is now working.

Very helpful.

Point of clarification. My model X on AP has never slowed down into a curve. If it takes a curve too fast, it “reacts” and slows down mid way, often by too much. Even on the same curves, it will sometimes slow and other times not slow down. AP works better on the windy roads by my house when following another car which (by the other cars actions) causes AP to slow going INTO the curve.

The service center is the worst, I have a 2016 model X and the roof of the car flew off while I was driving on the freeway. It could have caused major accident. I called and they told me to duck tape the roof because my appointment took two weeks. I told them this should be investigated ASAP as its a hazard and cause accidents. They did not care at all and when I got to the service center and told the manager as well to report to higher up and he said he can only put on the note. They don't care much about the safety it seems.

No. Beta declaration on AP features is for liability purposes.

Hmmmm...they COULD call it a "Gamma" release. (Next letter in the Greek alphabet for those who are like me and have to Goog it)

Not sure what the Greeks had to do with technology but it seems important. AND my late Irish Gamma had no use for input either.

Yeah, I can see that listening and reviewing reports from customers would be "time-consuming", particularly with those annoying experiences that could kill the driver (expendable). And who the hell do WE think we are anyway? No big deal that for years we provided the advertising (saving Tesla mucho $$$) by manic fanboy word of mouth. (I am on my second MS and was an early adoptor that had literally millions (hehe) of potential buyers talking to me over the years)

Nevertheless (love that qualifier), as I have said before: I never cease to be surprised how much I love a car that often tries to kill me.

The service center is the worst, I have a 2016 model X and the roof of the car flew off while I was driving on the freeway. It could have caused major accident. I called and they told me to duck tape the roof because my appointment took two weeks. I told them this should be investigated ASAP as its a hazard and cause accidents. They did not care at all and when I got to the service center and told the manager as well to report to higher up and he said he can only put on the note. They don't care much about the safety it seems.

Oh I don’t want to understand it. I just want to provide data points so they can know what’s happening so they have a chance at fixing it in future versions. A portion of Autopilot stopped working. That’s kind of a flaw

I’ve had this car two years. I understand the progression of Autopilot.

I also realize Tesla engineers live in the Bay Area and the car represents that. That’s why Peoples first winter with the Model 3 was less than ideal. That’s why the car requires a cellular connection to work. There’s always cell service in the Bay Area.

I just wanted to report what I had experienced. In the past Tesla support has actively encouraged me to make notes of problems and report them.

ps: I called back and talked to another rep. She apologized for the first rep and took a full report. All I ever wanted.

It sounds like you ran into an apathetic employee. Sometimes that comes with a "live voice" experience. A follow-up call resolved the issue; the new rep took the information and apologized for the unsatisfactory response you initially experienced.

Probably no need to contact every person you’ve been telling "Tesla Support is very helpful if you call and ask for for help in a meaningful manner" to let them know Tesla support is bad. Most of us get it; sometime people let us down.

You posted this twice, not sure if you knew that....
What part of the roof blew off ?
Didn’t it smash on the road ?

After trying to reach a parts person in any Seattle area store for weeks I sent a unhappy message to customers support. I had left phone messages, emails and even had a sales person in the Westlake office send the service team an email requesting they give me the part numbers and price for a wheel without a tire that I hadb been searching for. Two more weeks went by and so I tried the message to customers support.

I received a phone message the very next day. The clown at Tesla told me to call parts.

I did not bother to return his call.