Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I’m sorry I claimed Tesla support was helpful

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d like to apologize. I’ve been telling people that Tesla Support is very helpful if you call and ask for for help in a meaningful manner. I was wrong. I spoke with a representative today who refuse to take a report of the problems I’m having with auto pilot. He said “it would be a waste of resources to report what happened to you.” Rather than let an engineer decide what’s helpful he thought he knew better enter.

here’s what happened. On Sunday, I drove from the SF Bay Area to Crescent city. At 8:35 on 101N in Leggett, CA Autopilot stopped slowing down for curves. I stopped, put the car in park and resumed. No change. I stopped, did “Power Off” waited for 10 minutes before pressing the brake pedal. No change
Only after I supercharged In Crescent City at 3:30 pm did Autopilot begin slowing for curves again.

It seemed to me that there was a problem.

the telephone representatives answer? “Sir that is not a feature of Autopilot. Autopilot does not slow down for curves. The manual says don’t drive on curvy roads. And freeways don’t have curves. Therefore you must have been on city streets and we don’t support turns on city streets. You can’t expect beta features to work at all and we certainly don’t want feedback when they don’t work.”

Ps. Tesla support won’t talk to you now if you don’t know your range and odometer reading. That’s all it takes to prove you own the car. Range and odometer.

i love this car. But today I was treated like cr@p by Tesla and it doesn’t feel good.

pps: I asked for a call from the guys manager. Anyone want to bet I will never receive that call?

I always get better results when I name names, date and time I talked to a suppose to help person.

I’d like to apologize. I’ve been telling people that Tesla Support is very helpful if you call and ask for for help in a meaningful manner. I was wrong. I spoke with a representative today who refuse to take a report of the problems I’m having with auto pilot. He said “it would be a waste of resources to report what happened to you.” Rather than let an engineer decide what’s helpful he thought he knew better enter.

here’s what happened. On Sunday, I drove from the SF Bay Area to Crescent city. At 8:35 on 101N in Leggett, CA Autopilot stopped slowing down for curves. I stopped, put the car in park and resumed. No change. I stopped, did “Power Off” waited for 10 minutes before pressing the brake pedal. No change
Only after I supercharged In Crescent City at 3:30 pm did Autopilot begin slowing for curves again.

the telephone representatives answer? “Sir that is not a feature of Autopilot. Autopilot does not slow down for curves. The manual says don’t drive on curvy roads. And freeways don’t have curves. Therefore you must have been on city streets and we don’t support turns on city streets. You can’t expect beta features to work at all and we certainly don’t want feedback when they don’t work.”

Ps. Tesla support won’t talk to you now if you don’t know your range and odometer reading. That’s all it takes to prove you own the car. Range and odometer.

i love this car. But today I was treated like cr@p by Tesla and it doesn’t feel good.

pps: I asked for a call from the guys manager. Anyone want to bet I will never receive that call?

Not for nothing, but I've had this same auto pilot. Sometimes it slows down, sometimes it doesn't. I figured it was just my lack of understanding of the system but it doesn't engender a lot of trust and frankly it's keeping me away from FSD. I haven't had an interaction with the support yet though.

Too bad you got the rep having a bad day but I do believe he was essentially correct. Consider this...

We recently had a similar experience on a short 'quarantine escape cruise'. We set off following the Lost River in So. Oregon to it's source about 40 miles away - through Poe Valley, Langell Valley to Malone Reservoir. The roads are well off the beaten path - speed limit 55 and many, many curves with speed restrictions from 20-45 mph.

I was amazed, that our M3 was pacing and managing EVERY single curve. The speed control and steering were smooth and consistent with the individual needs of each curve. The speeds were also consistently about 5 mph slower than I would normally drive - more like the proverbial little old lady we hate to get behind. (There seemed to be much less conformity with posted curve speed limits.) But we weren't in a hurry and just let Joule do the driving. When we were about 3-4 miles from the dam Joule 'forgot' how to take the curves - emergency braking, jerky steering, flashing control warnings and sounds. After hiking around the lake we started for home, taking the very same roads. At the VERY last curve Joule handled well, Joule, again, 'remembered' how to take a curve and continued gracefully handling curves to home.

So, maybe the OP's experience was not a SW glitch but was a reaction associated with the locations/roads he was driving.

In the UK I think the CS team has been trained to be bad, there can be no other explanation for the inability to respond, inability to understand the problem and lack of knowledge .
It will be become known as Elon’s heel If it’s not sorted.
No business succeeds long term if it treats its customers like Tesla does.
My onboard AC charger started randomly charging at 16amp instead of 32amp . Always 32amp if charge started immediately. Usually but not always 16amp on scheduled charge. Sounds like a software problem to me. I want to talk to an engineer. No chance. Schedule a service on the app. After a week or so I get an email - the parts are in. What parts? How long will it take? Do I need to leave it and arrange a pickup? You must be joking if you think we're going to tell you that!! Eventually I get an estimate for a new charger £2500!!! No way! I can live with the reduced rate. It's very rare I really need a big charge overnight. Is it worth 2.5K to avoid either getting up once a year to manually start the charge at the start of OFF-Peak time, or more likely pay for a few kWh at On-Peak rate? I cancelled the appointment. Now I've got a suspension/steering squeak. Jacked it up and can't see anything falling off. I'll live with it and keep my fingers crossed that it's not serious, or go to my local garage and get it up on ramps and have a look.. Hopefully when Gatwick, my former nearest service centre with excellent staff, re-opens I might be able to visit easily and talk to a real engineer, like in the old days. But I fear they will have walled off the engineers from customers and we'll just be told to book through the app. My plan to buy a Model Y second car is on hold right now.

:

I asked for a call from the guys manager. Anyone want to bet I will never receive that call?

I have owned my Tesla model x for 4 yrs. I report driving issues when my Tesla is in driver-assist or AP to Tesla support. They have always been real cooperative or make me a service appointment. I drive the 101 in Oregon between Lincoln City and Newport every day. The road is extremely curvy and my tesla slows down to compensate for the speed and the degree of the curve every time. If your car continues to not compensate in the curves you should contact service through your phone app. You can also tweet Elon Musk directly which I have done and received a response from him. I have also of late had negative responses from calling Tesla by phone and have talked to incompetent employees though they are all cordial so I have had to call back again to talk to a different employee. I have also had to do the following reboot options.
Reboot instructions for your Tesla - Tesla Info.

No. Beta declaration on AP features is for liability purposes. There is an early release program with a select few owners who test out releases... like a real beta. Those people are heard.

I understand from your point of view: something weird happened and you want to understand it.
I also understand from Tesla’s perspective. Hundreds of thousands of owners using this intricate software. If they investigated every report, it would consume them.

They are not going to/cannot economically change this responsiveness.

personally, I’ve seen so much AP improvement in software updates that I trust that anything weird I experience will be addressed if it is not an anomaly. Sometimes I use the voice control “bug report” feature to communicate things.

relax, have fun with it. It’s a trip. If you hate it after a while, buy a Hyundai. :)

Most software companies have a feedback from somewhere on their website. Even if they don't respond directly to the complaint, they should place it in their backlog. Once they collect enough of the same complaint, then can escalate it up the deployment cycle. To say: "If they investigated every report, it would consume them." is absolutely ZERO excuse. Any good software company that wants to remain respected by the masses will take the report and when their backlog is processed, so too will the complaint.

Most software companies have a feedback from somewhere on their website. Even if they don't respond directly to the complaint, they should place it in their backlog. Once they collect enough of the same complaint, then can escalate it up the deployment cycle. To say: "If they investigated every report, it would consume them." is absolutely ZERO excuse. Any good software company that wants to remain respected by the masses will take the report and when their backlog is processed, so too will the complaint.
Hmmm. What do most CAR companies have?