Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I’m very happy with Version 9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an antidote to those losing their S over the version 9 update, I’d just like to say that I like the new look and the streamlining of features

To those that don’t - why not give it a couple of weeks and see how it works out for you? If you still don’t get on with it, then send a feature request to Tesla

What the company really doesn’t need right now is another stick to be beaten with - the press and the shorts will be all over this, and use the disgruntlement to generate more FUD

Has anyone looked at media center changes? I am praying for the recognition of ID3 tags or at least some logical way to organize Artist, Albums, Playlist, etc.

It looks like there are no changes, it still does not organize properly compilations when using artist name , unless the artist is the same for all songs i.e "Various Artists".
It does not also recognize/use the <albumartist> tag.....:(

Has anyone looked at media center changes? I am praying for the recognition of ID3 tags or at least some logical way to organize Artist, Albums, Playlist, etc.

Check out recent posts in the mega-thread Comprehensive USB Bug List
BertL has written up some detailed info on observations so far about the USB music player in v9
(Doesn’t sounds like much change or improvement re ID3 tags...)

As an antidote to those losing their S over the version 9 update, I’d just like to say that I like the new look and the streamlining of features

To those that don’t - why not give it a couple of weeks and see how it works out for you? If you still don’t get on with it, then send a feature request to Tesla

DO NOT DO THIS. EVER. NEVER TRY THE NEW SOFTWARE UNTIL YOU ARE SURE YOU WILL BE OK WITH IT.

You can refuse to upgrade your software for as many years as you like, but it is practically impossible to revert to an older version of the software once you upgrade.

Tesla very rarely implements feature requests. They don't even implement bug fixes. See the Comprehensive USB Bug List.

What the company really doesn’t need right now is another stick to be beaten with - the press and the shorts will be all over this, and use the disgruntlement to generate more FUD

Tesla has had years to get this right -- it's basic software design practice -- and instead they have introduced warranty-violation-level breakage. They do need to be beaten with a stick until they start doing the right thing. This is entirely self-inflicted on Tesla's part, but trivial for them to fix.

The short-sellers aren't even going to pay attention to this, FWIW. Public complaints about Tesla introducing major breakage in updates have been around for years (look at the Comprehensive USB Bug List) and they have not once mentioned it. It doesn't further their narrative (the short-sellers want to claim that there's a lack of demand or that the cars are expensive to make, and it just doesn't further that story).

...another stick to be beaten with...

What Tesla needs is users' feedback.

I don't know how Tesla works but it seems only to get users's feedback afterward and not before.

Historically, this has repeatedly caused problems for second-guessing what users want.

Some simple feedbacks were:

1) Cupholders: How hard could it be that Tesla was so resistant to fix the awkward position until the correct position for Model 3.

2) Coat hangers: Again, Tesla was so resistant until it provides them for Model 3.

3) Don't degrade home charging speed of S and X to Model 3's inferior level: When the X first came out, there as a big cry of degrading existing home charging from 80A from Model S to 42A current Model 3. It finally settled to 72A.

4) Unfoldable second row Model X: It was a scandal when it knew that it showed on its presentation that the second row of Model X would fold flat but its final production was unfoldable! It took a public cry afterward in order for Tesla to take users' wishes seriously and currently make it foldable.

This is an unnecessary self-induced crisis.

Why must it be a crisis in order for Tesla to listen to its customers' voices?

I am glad that many are pleased with V9 design that I can't even place my rearview camera on top and a third party map on a browser on bottom.

But that doesn't mean Tesla have to take other user-configurable capability away.

We are not talking about asking for the moon or any new features. That split screen capability has been active for the past 6 years.

Pull the rug from under our feet after 6 years is just mean or gross incompetent!

Thus, please write to Tesla and tell them to preserve Model S and X user top-half/bottom half configurable capability.

I got 2018.39.6 on Sunday. After using it yesterday and today, I'm not convinced it's a step forward. I'll give it some time to get used to it, but my issues are not just the layout, but the reduction in functionality of the screens. Seems for a vehicle so advanced, the interface is far from state of the art. Some of the new features are OK, but they aren't GUI-related. The only screen I like is the main setting screen - but the vehicle picture and information buttons for each setting seem to be much less intuitive, difficult to follow, multilayer menus, and very low contrast / no use of color.

Some features i'd like to see:
Choice of positions for the apps on the screen.
Music app that stays as you set it until you change it, and control buttons large enough to hit without taking eyes off the road
More contrast on most of the settings - hard to see in daylight mode (especially music equalizer - light gray over white - really ???)
Individual on-off settings for some of the driver safety features as they were before - like lane departure warning, etc.
Larger center vehicle icon in the driver display so you can actually see the ultrasonic warning levels or vehicle's lights functioning (they made the vehicle smaller for the additional lane / vehicle info it now provides, but it looks like they could have left it alone and/or resized the outer info sections to accommodate it)

The original GUI was very intuitive, and "professional" in appearance, IMO, where the new version seems like a first draft without intelligent positioning, proper colors / contrast, or large enough control icons for anyone with less than stellar vision...feels like change for the sake of change, without instituting better features like voice to text, text reading, front camera on screen, movable / sizable windows etc...

On top of those issues, it seems AP2 isn't working as well as it was prior to this update - and it's still unable to navigate carpool lanes without a good chance of hitting the median. Now with HOV lane as a choice for Nav, it would be great if the car could be driven safely in those lanes with AP2 when there is a median close to the lane.

"A couple of weeks" isn't going to make it easier to take two steps that used to take one, to look to the bottom of the screen for everything I need, and to lose the autonomy to decide what's on the screen and where it's located. I don't need NAV but maybe three times a year, and now it's on all the time. Can you see why "a couple of weeks" might do it for you but not for someone else?

Reactions: Amp Dup
Another feature is the in ability to full screen anything but the nav. Using the web browser, while parked, is on less then half the screen .So even parked I have no other option than tho have the nav on, making it nothing more than a 7 inch screen and a 10 inch gps. The 17 inch screen selling point ,over the competition, is eroding. Reminicent of the days of the Magellan suction cupped to the windshield.

You want people to just accept something that, because Tesla doesn't need bad press??? If they want to avoid bad press they should decide how I want to use my car. I don't want to see the NAV 100% of the time. I drove over 100 miles today and it actually bothered me to the point I put the screen on clean mode.
I agree. I don't want to see map all the time and would like to choose which apps are on my screen. Disappointed in Version 9.

What Tesla needs is users' feedback.

I don't know how Tesla works but it seems only to get users's feedback afterward and not before.

Historically, this has repeatedly caused problems for second-guessing what users want.

Some simple feedbacks were:

1) Cupholders: How hard could it be that Tesla was so resistant to fix the awkward position until the correct position for Model 3.

2) Coat hangers: Again, Tesla was so resistant until it provides them for Model 3.

3) Don't degrade home charging speed of S and X to Model 3's inferior level: When the X first came out, there as a big cry of degrading existing home charging from 80A from Model S to 42A current Model 3. It finally settled to 72A.

4) Unfoldable second row Model X: It was a scandal when it knew that it showed on its presentation that the second row of Model X would fold flat but its final production was unfoldable! It took a public cry afterward in order for Tesla to take users' wishes seriously and currently make it foldable.

This is an unnecessary self-induced crisis.

Why must it be a crisis in order for Tesla to listen to its customers' voices?

I am glad that many are pleased with V9 design that I can't even place my rearview camera on top and a third party map on a browser on bottom.

But that doesn't mean Tesla have to take other user-configurable capability away.

We are not talking about asking for the moon or any new features. That split screen capability has been active for the past 6 years.

Pull the rug from under our feet after 6 years is just mean or gross incompetent!

Thus, please write to Tesla and tell them to preserve Model S and X user top-half/bottom half configurable capability.
I agree taking away the top half bottom half configure ability is a step back. please bring it back. I don't use Map and now I have no choice.

Reactions: Dr_E and Amp Dup