Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I’m very much loving Tesla and their supercharger network right now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BrettS

Mar 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
So I got my 2015 Model S 60 about four and a half months ago and I must admit that I had a little trepidation and range anxiety as I made the purchase because this is my only car. I don’t have an option to take my ‘other’ car if I need to make a longer trip, but I spent some time before I made the purchase and realized that 99% of my normal every day driving should be will within the range of the car and I knew that the superchargers could help with longer trips. In the time I’ve owned the car I haven’t really had any range issues at all, save for one minor scare when I discovered as I was leaving the house that I had forgotten to plug the car in overnight. But even in that case I was able to get enough of a charge in the time I had to go where I needed to without changing my plans at all. I even took a 900 mile road trip down to the Florida keys a few weeks ago and that went really well also.

However, I did have a brief a twinge of range anxiety tonight. I just found out that I’m going to need to take my kids to their football game this Saturday, which is 81 miles from my house. This will be the farthest day trip that I’ve done with the car and I was a bit concerned about making it there and back on one charge (especially considering that I’ll need to make stops for food on the way as well).

However, I took a little time to analyze the trip and punched it into the GPS in the car and with the 90% charge that the car has right now it’s saying that I can make it there and back with 5% remaining. If I do a 100% charge before I go I feel like I should have no problem making it there and back even with a couple of brief food stops. But even better, I discovered that near the destination there is a supercharger that’s only about 12 minutes out of my way. So I can either just do my normal 90% charge and plan to hit the super charger on the way there or the way back or still do a 100% charge and evaluate where I am when it’s time to leave and hit the supercharger if I need to.

Either way Tesla has made this trip possible for me and my only car without any range anxiety. There’s no way it would be this easy (and anxiety free) in a leaf or a bolt or any other electric vehicle without the range and supercharger network.

Since you are still getting used to the range of your car, on a trip like this I would charge to 100% just to get rid of any range anxiety. See how it goes on the way over, and perhaps even plan to get some extra juice at the Supercharger, just so you don't get home almost empty.

Just a quick update in case anyone is curious. I charged the car to 95% overnight, then kicked it up to 100% about 45 minutes before we left so it wouldn’t sit at 100% for long.

We hit a drive through for breakfast and had to make a small detour to a store to get football gloves, but I’ve arrived at the destination after about 86 miles with 59% of my battery remaining.

Right now it’s saying I’ll get home with 19% left, so that’s a big enough margin that I don’t think I’ll have to hit the supercharger at all.

I may lose a little power during the day to overheat protection and I may have to make another food stop on the way back, so I’ll re-evaluate before I leave, but I’ve found the car’s estimates to be within 1 or 2% even over long distances, so even if it’s saying I’ll get home with 10% left I’ll feel comfortable skipping the supercharger.

In any case I’m still loving the range of this car (even my lowly S60) and I love the fact that there always seems to be a supercharger nearby just in case I need to go a little farther. Tesla has certainly made it possible (and even easy) to use the model S as my only car.

• Helpful
Reactions: gambit48 and redy
So I got my 2015 Model S 60 about four and a half months ago and I must admit that I had a little trepidation and range anxiety as I made the purchase because this is my only car. I don’t have an option to take my ‘other’ car if I need to make a longer trip, but I spent some time before I made the purchase and realized that 99% of my normal every day driving should be will within the range of the car and I knew that the superchargers could help with longer trips. In the time I’ve owned the car I haven’t really had any range issues at all, save for one minor scare when I discovered as I was leaving the house that I had forgotten to plug the car in overnight. But even in that case I was able to get enough of a charge in the time I had to go where I needed to without changing my plans at all. I even took a 900 mile road trip down to the Florida keys a few weeks ago and that went really well also.

However, I did have a brief a twinge of range anxiety tonight. I just found out that I’m going to need to take my kids to their football game this Saturday, which is 81 miles from my house. This will be the farthest day trip that I’ve done with the car and I was a bit concerned about making it there and back on one charge (especially considering that I’ll need to make stops for food on the way as well).

However, I took a little time to analyze the trip and punched it into the GPS in the car and with the 90% charge that the car has right now it’s saying that I can make it there and back with 5% remaining. If I do a 100% charge before I go I feel like I should have no problem making it there and back even with a couple of brief food stops. But even better, I discovered that near the destination there is a supercharger that’s only about 12 minutes out of my way. So I can either just do my normal 90% charge and plan to hit the super charger on the way there or the way back or still do a 100% charge and evaluate where I am when it’s time to leave and hit the supercharger if I need to.

Either way Tesla has made this trip possible for me and my only car without any range anxiety. There’s no way it would be this easy (and anxiety free) in a leaf or a bolt or any other electric vehicle without the range and supercharger network.
North Carolina was limited to 45kw last week..... Not a lot of love there.