Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I’ve never cried over a car until today...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven't been out much since the virus. Today was an exception though. My daughter was down from Minn and we were at one of those baby imaging places where they can create these 3d models from sonograms. Anyway, someone comes in and asks, "Do any of you have a white Tesla?" I look down at my phone and it shows the alarm went off. I ran outside to this:

34-AFBCD2-4485-48-A1-BEF9-52341-A3363-C7.jpg

My heart sank. This is my first nice new car. The guy had fled on foot bloody. Police caught up to him. Not sure what he was thinking since it was his own car. No seatbelt and his head went through the windshield. In any case. They pulled his Audi away and here was the after shot:

49-ED881-A-8681-4-DC5-A48-E-94-AE1-A21-FD1-C.jpg

Broke the axle on my car and at this point I'm almost hoping it's totaled. I can't imagine them ever getting it back to the condition it was. I loved that car! My wife couldn't believe I had tears in my eyes...lol. I'm just so bummed. I have Tesla Insurance so we will see how it gets handled. I don't think it will pay for things like $5500 PPF, custom painted wheels, tint chrome delete, etc, etc. I guess that is what I get for loving a material object so much.

Attachments

• BEB5BCF8-0730-41F8-B1FC-3BA20E3080BE.jpeg
    BEB5BCF8-0730-41F8-B1FC-3BA20E3080BE.jpeg
    524.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 90864D6D-315F-464A-A339-B451E77A8303.jpeg
    90864D6D-315F-464A-A339-B451E77A8303.jpeg
    871.3 KB · Views: 111
Oh man, sorry for your incident. The scum bag was probably drunk and is well versed in the law that if he wasn’t caught driving the car and no one saw him driving then it’d be difficult to associate him with the accident. Good they got his ass and he bashed his head against his own windshield. Hope it works out for you. I have all around PPF as well and that’s one my concerns is that I’d be out the entire cost of that if my car ever gets totaled. Best outcome in this scenario is it’s totaled.

Man that is hard to look at. Can't believe the fool who hit you tried to run...on foot! Presumably, his information was still in the car. Looks like it would be a total, but I hope you have the other guy's insurance info (assuming he had insurance).

I think I would be cursing a blue streak if this were my car...and then cry.

I've never had a car totaled before. If I was to only get fair market value.......I'd be devastated for sure. I just put brand new replacement tires on as well. I keep adding up the extras in my head and I think I'm just going to take a serious hit here. Not to mention that I paid for FSD. I wondered if I would ever see FSD in this car. I guess I may have my answer now.

Reactions: Phlier and Pkmmte
I feel like that has got to be a total loss. Maybe it won’t be, but I bet it’ll be $10k+ to repair, maybe $20k. Rear end damage on these vehicles seems to cause repair bills to skyrocket. I’m hoping if he had an Audi he was insured, so you shouldn’t have to worry about your Tesla insurance. You might be able to fight for things like PPF if you have all documentation on that, but don’t bet on it. What is market value on that? Tesla seems to hold the value pretty well... and if there is a large difference between market value & what Tesla is selling one like yours for on their used inventory you might be able to document that and push for that amount...

PPF and tint seem to come up a lot with these questions. Does anyone know of any insurance where you can add an “accessory” or 3rd party modifications rider to the policy to cover stuff like that?

Oh, and congrats, grandpa :D Yes, when you step back and think about it, there are much more important things than our cars...but these road bumps sure do sting. Good luck!

You are very right. As bad as I felt, my daughter felt much worse. Here we were going to spend an hour on a joyous occasion and it was nearly ruined. Yes, the physical things can all be replaced. That’s just stuff. I am blessed as a man, a husband and a father. I have much to be thankful for and @qdeathstar, I’m definitely thinking about the next purchase already. I really love the look of the Model S but it may be a bit out of my budget I fear.

You are very right. As bad as I felt, my daughter felt much worse. Here we were going to spend an hour on a joyous occasion and it was nearly ruined. Yes, the physical things can all be replaced. That’s just stuff. I am blessed as a man, a husband and a father. I have much to be thankful for and @qdeathstar, I’m definitely thinking about the next purchase already. I really love the look of the Model S but it may be a bit out of my budget I fear.
That’s terrible and I am glad you and your daughter were not hurt.
One item is confusing me about your post. I am not trying to be argumentative, just curious. How is it possible to hit hard enough to have the guy’s head go through the windshield without the airbags going off?
I am not saying it didn’t happen but I am wondering if he was in some weird position in the car or something? Just curious.

I have seen more than one motor vehicle accident where occupant(s) was not wearing seatbelt(s) with airbag equipped cars and impacted windshield / center console etc .. these were generally higher speed than would be seen in parking lots. Not sure if same could occur at lower speeds.
The OP may be able to respond if he noticed whether or not Mr. Genius’s airbags deployed.

That's my philosophy these days. Stuff can be fixed or money can fix the issue (repair vs buying new). But our lives and experience and sorrow is something that money cannot fix. I always try to be optimistic and shrug off the bad and embrace the good.

Reactions: PittCaleb