Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I’ve never cried over a car until today...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I always have Sentry mode on as indicated by that red dot in the box I think. As soon as the accident happened, I went into the car and hit the download function but it still only started the recording after the impact. I definitely want to look into this more though to make sure that this situation does not happen again with the recording thing. I would encourage everyone to test their Sentry mode by parking, walking away and then coming back and reviewing to make sure it's recording. I have reviewed many recordings though (I'm a little paranoid about where I park so I review a lot) and have never run into this situation in the past where there has been lapsed video.
Remember that Sentry videos are kept in a different folder than videos that are manually saved by using the Save function. This can cause some confusion when trying to find Sentry videos to match up with manually saved videos.

Man, I’m so sorry for your loss. Let us know how it goes?

• Helpful
Reactions: EVNation
If the claim is against your own insurance, then your add ons would not be covered unless you had notified your company and they had added them with an (extra cost) rider.
IF the claim is against the other guy, then their insurance would be responsible for all those enhancements.

Believe your car will be totaled with that much damage.

That's not true. It varies by insurance company (and maybe even by State). I have State Farm and long ago inquired about the need to inform them of modifications. They just said keep your receipts and everything will be covered. Aftermarket parts are typically cheaper than OEM anyway (though I know he was worried about his PPF, and black-out vinyl). I had an incident where my aftermarket wheels on a previous car were damaged and State Farm paid me for the entire current retail cost of the wheels.

I have mixed feelings about Tesla insurance so far. Last Friday when all this occurred, I called them immediately and also tried using the Tesla app as well. We waited on hold for a long time and then we were told that it was going to be an hour before they could get a tow truck to my location. Instead, we just went with the city police's suggestion of having the local tow company take the car to their yard. The other thing that bothered me was that over the phone they told me that they wouldn't be able to start helping us till Tuesday. Not sure why Tuesday but we called them Monday and things did start to progress.

Apparently, I have the option to either deal with the other parties insurance (State Farm) or I can have my insurance company (Tesla) handle it for me at the cost of my deductible. When my wife spoke with State Farm, they told here that they pay my deductible as well for my agent to handle things. I didn't want to try and deal with it all since I don't really have the experience so I'm having Tesla insurance doing the leg work. Unfortunately, Tesla insurance is telling me that they only cover 1k of extras to the vehicle and that I would have to pursue the rest with State Farm. Kind of sucks. When I bought this policy, I got max limits on everything. 1 million in coverage, etc but I don't remember any part of the insurance dealing with add-ons to the vehicle. Like another poster stated, maybe you have to ask your agent specifically about adding a rider or something for that additional expense. Live and learn. Doesn't seem fair that my car was parked safely and despite that, it's taking a lot of time and energy (and perhaps cost, not sure yet) to get things back to the way they were. But......who said life was fair right? ;)

State Farm is pretty easy to work with that they should make you whole on EVERYTHING. I wouldn't get your insurance involved unless you run into an issue that you can't personally resolve with State Farm. If they do end up totaling it, they will offer you a payout. You don't have to simply accept it if it's not satisfactory. Compile a list of used Model 3s with similar miles and make sure to add in tax due on a new purchase to get an idea of what payout should be. Also, as was stated before, make sure to ask for diminshed value reimbursement from State Farm if the car IS NOT totaled.

Haven't been out much since the virus. Today was an exception though. My daughter was down from Minn and we were at one of those baby imaging places where they can create these 3d models from sonograms. Anyway, someone comes in and asks, "Do any of you have a white Tesla?" I look down at my phone and it shows the alarm went off. I ran outside to this:

34-AFBCD2-4485-48-A1-BEF9-52341-A3363-C7.jpg

My heart sank. This is my first nice new car. The guy had fled on foot bloody. Police caught up to him. Not sure what he was thinking since it was his own car. No seatbelt and his head went through the windshield. In any case. They pulled his Audi away and here was the after shot:

49-ED881-A-8681-4-DC5-A48-E-94-AE1-A21-FD1-C.jpg

Broke the axle on my car and at this point I'm almost hoping it's totaled. I can't imagine them ever getting it back to the condition it was. I loved that car! My wife couldn't believe I had tears in my eyes...lol. I'm just so bummed. I have Tesla Insurance so we will see how it gets handled. I don't think it will pay for things like $5500 PPF, custom painted wheels, tint chrome delete, etc, etc. I guess that is what I get for loving a material object so much.

Did the security cameras work and record the accident/impact?

Every once in a while, I'll have sentry footage to review only be like 1 second long. Must be a bug.
If you are finding these one second long video files on a drive that you are removing from a car to view, I might have some help for ya. :)

Before you remove the drive from the USB port, press and hold (about two seconds) on the camera icon until it changes. This prepares the drive to be removed from the port, preventing directory corruption. One second video and corrupted files are a dead giveaway that the drive wasn't "unmounted" correctly prior to being pulled out of the USB port.

If you are finding these one second long video files on a drive that you are removing from a car to view, I might have some help for ya. :)

Before you remove the drive from the USB port, press and hold (about two seconds) on the camera icon until it changes. This prepares the drive to be removed from the port, preventing directory corruption. One second video and corrupted files are a dead giveaway that the drive wasn't "unmounted" correctly prior to being pulled out of the USB port.
Nah, I was reviewing sentry mode footage saved very recently from my car, no unplugging happened.

• Disagree
Reactions: user212_nr
This reminds me of the time 28 years ago I flew back home to New York City from Florida over the Christmas holiday to find my hot Honda Prelude smashed by a snow plow truck. Broke my heart to pieces. Good luck with everything.

Sorry to hear about your ordeal on a joyous occasion.
I’d be crying if someone hit my Model X—and I’d probably be chasing after him…

Your M3 reminded me of what my son went thru with his M3 a month after he got it (he'd ordered it day 1—his first car). A lady ran a stop sign and hit his driver quarter panel, slightly bent rear door edge and screwed up the wheel and motor. She jumped out and asked why HE didn't stop. He said he didn't have a stop sign and saw she was stopped! Then she left the scene after police hadn't shown up for 30 minutes! He got his M3 back in just under 4 months with over 15K in repairs—yours is at least 20-25K. Her insurance company would only sign off for 90% even though their adjuster said it was 100% her fault, so we involved USAA who took it to mediation and won. Great company.
(State Farm not so good. Drunk driver hit my parked car into a pole. After 10 days trying to contact SF, a guy called telling me to bring my car to his office. After 4 times telling him it was totaled and undrivable in police impound (dashboard was in the driver seat) and he telling me totaled cars can be driven, I told him that if he was a better driver he could try driving it! Also SF road trip ins. cancelled me after using it once in 2 years!)

What I have learned thru the years is:
Rental car insurance is usually worth the cost. USAA covers your cost of gas (rental or personal car) if you submit receipts as it is an expense you normally wouldn't have; maybe others do also.

Full comprehensive has always been worth the small additional cost. I have priced out various deductibles thru the years; again, when he bought his M3 and when I bought my MX. This really paid off when a semi tossed a stone into my 2-month-old Model X windshield on the way to Yellowstone. I was offered a ‘repair’ but since it was right in the passenger primary viewing area I declined. (For 15 years I regretted an obvious repair in a previous car.)

Hope you get your desired outcome under the circumstances. If they total your M3 and Supercharging is offered again on the MS you might do the math. Before I bought my MX, Quicken revealed I had spent $40K on gas and oil changes the previous 10 years! I was shocked. The question of could we buy a MX w/free supercharging became should we? I hadn't had a new car in almost 20 years, so I put a big smile on my face and haven't stopped smiling since!:D

(Did you know the MX can hold 4 car seats? And they are so easy to get to with the falcon wings...:cool:)

Reactions: Reborn
Be careful chasing after anybody. There was a guy on Reddit who's Model 3 was getting beat up by a group of 3 or 4 guys. Owner tried to intervene. Ended up in the ER beat to a bloody pulp, got charged with assault, and the car was basically totaled. Not an intact body panel or piece of glass left.

Reactions: Phlier
I went through a similar experience (same parts hit while parked but it was still driving so I guess not nearly as bad as this one), the total cost of repairs was $18k and they restored every last thing I had done to it including tints, PPF, you name it. Insurance paid every last dollar for it and gave me $5k in diminished value on top of it.

This is likely totaled so even less of a hassle. It’s alright. Cry it out but literally nothing is lost at this point that cannot be gained back. It’d been a lot worse if you were hurt.

Reactions: toolman335

Being 55, I've owned a few new cars in my life. As I mentioned though, this one was over the top for me. This is a Model 3 that with tax cost me over $68k AFTER rebates and tax incentives. Then another 2k for FSD and 7k in add-ons. Close to 80k. I was so damn protective of this car that I probably got what I deserved. Making the family walk to the outer edge of every parking we stopped at. Never allowing food in the car (only in the frunk). I've had the car almost 2 years now and it never got a scratch. Buying every known cleaner Amazon offers to detail inside/out every week. No. I have vowed to never fall in love with a car as much as I did this one... :)

• Love
Reactions: JS77 and anandoc
Being 55, I've owned a few new cars in my life. As I mentioned though, this one was over the top for me. This is a Model 3 that with tax cost me over $68k AFTER rebates and tax incentives. Then another 2k for FSD and 7k in add-ons. Close to 80k. I was so damn protective of this car that I probably got what I deserved. Making the family walk to the outer edge of every parking we stopped at. Never allowing food in the car (only in the frunk). I've had the car almost 2 years now and it never got a scratch. Buying every known cleaner Amazon offers to detail inside/out every week. No. I have vowed to never fall in love with a car as much as I did this one... :)
Why beat yourself up... Shite happens right? And I assume you worked hard for this car...otherwise you would not have cared so much. So just make sure you get back what you should rightfully be entitled to ( I wonder if using that word Entitled will bring out the trolls? ) and then get another Tesla and have the attitude that you get a 2nd chance at Love...and you know better and perhaps not get the same exact things now that you have a better perspective on what you liked and didn't like with the one that is now damaged. When will you know if it is totaled?

Be careful chasing after anybody. There was a guy on Reddit who's Model 3 was getting beat up by a group of 3 or 4 guys. Owner tried to intervene. Ended up in the ER beat to a bloody pulp, got charged with assault, and the car was basically totaled. Not an intact body panel or piece of glass left.

Curious of the details on this one. Definitely a use case for Stand Your Grand, and the guy probably had the right to use deadly force, if he was equipped.

I was so damn protective of this car that I probably got what I deserved...

My first-ever new car was a Mazda MX5. I took possession right off the truck, with the ink on the check was still drying. Before jumping in to fiddle with the virgin knobs, I carefully set down the soda I was holding because "no food or drink in my new baby!"

Once inside, I decided I must absolutely drop the convertible top. At this moment, I realized where I left my soda...on top of the car. The action spun the can, so that soda sprayed on the body, windshield, top, dash, and interior. The can landed between the seat and the back wall, emptying the remaining contents with a "glug glug glug". All this before I'd even started the car.

At which point I looked to the sky: "Quit being a jerk and just enjoy the car...heard you loud and clear, Lord, thx"

Curious of the details on this one. Definitely a use case for Stand Your Grand, and the guy probably had the right to use deadly force, if he was equipped.
Oh sorry, no. He wasn't in the vehicle at the time. He was not in danger until he confronted the guys. So he was charged with assault.
He admitted it was a bad decision fueled by anger. And he could have died. Not worth it. Cars can be replaced. People can't.

Reactions: Reborn