Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I’ve never cried over a car until today...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last Friday, Tesla Insurance made their offer to total the car. It was $54k and change. I looked it over during the weekend and realized that they quoted comparables from Tesla.com used cars but did NOT include the performance option. I asked them to resubmit it with performance. Got it back today and now it's over $58k. I was a little surprised that performance only got me 4k more even though I paid 10k more. Oh well. We accepted the price even though we won't be whole. We've also been told that we can pursue the additional work, ie chrome delete, full PPF, etc directly with the other party's State Farm insurance. We'll see how it goes. We are looking to buy a MY next so this figure will go a long way towards the new car cost. Just waiting for Tesla's battery day to see if there are any significant improvements coming.

Thanks to everyone who has followed the thread. Hope none of you ever have to go through an accident with your Tesla.
This was certainly the best option, it took me about 9 months to get my car to be fixed for a very similar accident.

- Does your car was still drivable or did you have to use a tow truck?

- Which Model and options did you have? Did you have FSD?

- Which year and month, and mileage did you have?

Last Friday, Tesla Insurance made their offer to total the car. It was $54k and change. I looked it over during the weekend and realized that they quoted comparables from Tesla.com used cars but did NOT include the performance option. I asked them to resubmit it with performance. Got it back today and now it's over $58k. I was a little surprised that performance only got me 4k more even though I paid 10k more. Oh well. We accepted the price even though we won't be whole. We've also been told that we can pursue the additional work, ie chrome delete, full PPF, etc directly with the other party's State Farm insurance. We'll see how it goes. We are looking to buy a MY next so this figure will go a long way towards the new car cost. Just waiting for Tesla's battery day to see if there are any significant improvements coming.

Thanks to everyone who has followed the thread. Hope none of you ever have to go through an accident with your Tesla.

How close to your original cost was the number? Did you still owe on the car?

We accepted the price even though we won't be whole.

I recommend that you look into something called Car Replacement Assistance with your next insurer. Car Replacement Assistance (CRA) pays 20% — in addition to the actual cash value of the vehicle — if your car is totaled. It costs me around $30 a year to add it to the policy. I have not had to use it (thank God), but it but I consider it a prudent and affordable option.

I recommend that you look into something called Car Replacement Assistance with your next insurer.
Car Replacement Assistance (CRA) pays 20% — in addition to the actual cash value of the vehicle — if your car is totaled.
It costs me around $30 a year to add it to the policy.
I have not had to use it (thank God), but it but I consider it a prudent and affordable option.
You should also get an additional Diminished Value insurance when you get a new car.

This is especially important if you lease a car, as you often lost your deposit if the car get totaled or stolen.

Truly the best outcome to an incredibly unfortunate incident. You can now watch the announcements on Battery Day with great anticipation and place an order shortly thereafter knowing that once again you’ll soon have the latest and greatest parked in your garage! And, of course, the offer for the Homelink still stands. Congratulations on attaining the best possible outcome. Stay healthy. MJP