Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I’ve started accessories shopping! Anything else I should get?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for battery info very helpful! I will leave as is for now…

Im all ears if someone has a sound system upgrade tho. I had the front door panel off to fix a rattle (window reg screws backed out and we’re hitting the glass when window down). Took a look at the speakers in the door. Ok looking but just cardboard woofer nothing special.

Hmm .. how much lighter is it ? My oem is 1 yr/ 10k miles old, are they known to fail ?

im all about saving weight ! What’s it cost ? What’s it used for on the car ? Is it powering all the lower level dc stuff like lights and radio and ac ?? I suppose it gets recharged via the main battery ?

also are there any upgrades to sound system ? I know that’s a crazy question as it’s already soooo damn good but it can always be even better :)
11 Lbs, the OEM lead acid battery is 28 Lbs

I've installed almost everything listed in this thread. I'd say the most important are mud flaps, screen protector, & floor mats. The coolest accessory I have installed in my MY LR is the automatic Frunk opener by Hansshow. I love to pop it in parking lots when someone is walking by. It always gets second looks or just flat out stares.

I just made a list so I can tell my wife that I haven't really spent all that much! Haha, she's been half joking that I've never really bought accessories for past cars, so why now? I'm only a bit over $600 deep. So I think of it as just adding the "accessory package" to the Model Y.

ItemStoreCost
Jack Pads (2x)Amazon$8.05
Trunk MatAmazon$68.89
Key Card HolderAmazon$11.54
Screen ProtectorAmazon$20.02
Charger Wall MountAmazon$28.58
ONR WashAmazon$21.06
Microfiber TowelsAmazon$16.91
InnerCleanAmazon$10.78
Tire Plug KitAmazon$16.74
Center Console TraysTesla$21.60
Rear Door PPFTesla$54.00
Front Mud FlapsTesla$43.20
14-30 AdapterTesla$37.80
Rear Vent CoversEtsy$15.11
Lock CoversAmazon$15.89
Performance PedalsAmazon$27.13
"T" Puddle Lights (2x)Amazon$15.68
EZ Pass Black SkinAmazon$15.89
Trunk PPFTesBros$34.84
Cup Holder InsertEVannex$16.60
Trunk Pull-StrapEVannex$13.60
Frunk CoolerEVannex$40.60
Wheel Cap KitTesla$54.00
Sunglasses Holders (2x)Etsy$9.17

I recently came across two accessories for the Model Y that are worth noting. The first is a retractable security cover for the cargo area. There at least a half dozen companies selling similar retractable cargo covers for the Model Y. This one only costs $100.

https://www.amazon.com/cover,Rear-Retractable-Security-interior-accessories/dp/B097XTR66M/

The second accessory is brand new for August 2021, from TAPTES. It is a collapsible sunshade for the windshield of Model Y that works like an umbrella:

Amazon.com

Last edited:
I just made a list so I can tell my wife that I haven't really spent all that much! Haha, she's been half joking that I've never really bought accessories for past cars, so why now? I'm only a bit over $600 deep. So I think of it as just adding the "accessory package" to the Model Y.

ItemStoreCost
Jack Pads (2x)Amazon$8.05
Trunk MatAmazon$68.89
Key Card HolderAmazon$11.54
Screen ProtectorAmazon$20.02
Charger Wall MountAmazon$28.58
ONR WashAmazon$21.06
Microfiber TowelsAmazon$16.91
InnerCleanAmazon$10.78
Tire Plug KitAmazon$16.74
Center Console TraysTesla$21.60
Rear Door PPFTesla$54.00
Front Mud FlapsTesla$43.20
14-30 AdapterTesla$37.80
Rear Vent CoversEtsy$15.11
Lock CoversAmazon$15.89
Performance PedalsAmazon$27.13
"T" Puddle Lights (2x)Amazon$15.68
EZ Pass Black SkinAmazon$15.89
Trunk PPFTesBros$34.84
Cup Holder InsertEVannex$16.60
Trunk Pull-StrapEVannex$13.60
Frunk CoolerEVannex$40.60
Wheel Cap KitTesla$54.00
Sunglasses Holders (2x)Etsy$9.17
This is a great list, gives a newbie like me a guide on what to look for. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: sgalla04
The Tesla tire repair kit is out--any good alternatives to keep on hand?
If you want the Tesla tire repair kit you can enter your email on the Tesla store site and Tesla will notify you when the kit is available. There has been discussion the Tesla tire repair kit is not the best option. The puncture sealant can possibly damage the tire pressure monitor sensor (TPMS.) The OE tires have a foam liner to reduce resonance noise. The liner can interfere with the sealant getting to the puncture so it can seal the hole. Then there are accounts of tire repair shops refusing to repair tires with sealant due to the cleanup. So what do you do?

Tesla Roadside Assistance (you can request Roadside Assistance in the Tesla app under Vehicle Service, also find the toll free phone number) can dispatch a contracted tow service with flat bed tow truck to your location. Your vehicle can be towed to a Tesla service center or a tire repair center. Depending on your location this can take several hours. In some cases the tow service can bring you a replacement wheel/tire and change your flat tire. You will have 3 days to repair or replace the damaged tire and return the loaner wheel to a Tesla service center or else your credit card will be charged for the loaner wheel and tire.

You can carry a spare tire, jack and tire changing tools just like an ICE vehicle. You can purchase a spare tire kit for the Tesla Model Y from Modern Spare.

Many Tesla owners carry a 12V tire inflator pump and a tire plug kit. There are many 12V pumps and tire plug repair kits available on Amazon.

So if I get a flat from a nail
Or something not in the sidewall And the $450 tire is repairable, will I destroy it by pumping in fix a flat ?? If so I’ll just get a spare. Would the spare kit fit the frunk ? Im
Planning to put a sub under the rear so will have limited space back there … but I hate driving with no spare that’s just stupid.

Or something not in the sidewall And the $450 tire is repairable, will I destroy it by pumping in fix a flat ?? If so I’ll just get a spare. Would the spare kit fit the frunk ? Im
Planning to put a sub under the rear so will have limited space back there … but I hate driving with no spare that’s just stupid.
There are no spares of which I am currently aware that fit in either the frunk or the subtrunk. Modern spare seems to be the spare tire of choice.

Reactions: jcanoe
The current generation tire sealant would not damage the wheel or the tire but may damage the tire pressure monitor sensor. The sensor might have to be replaced. Discount Tire has a good reputation for repairing tires on Tesla vehicle with no BS. With Costco and other national chain automotive centers it is hit or miss. Some won't work on Tesla vehicles period. Some won't touch tires that have the foam liner. Universally tire repair centers hate repairing tires where sealant has been used as the cleanup is a PITA and takes time. Reportedly some tire repair centers won't attempt to repair a tire where a previous repair has been applied to a puncture. This is probably for the tire repair shop's liability insurance. For the same reason most tire shops won't repair a tire if the puncture is anywhere close to the sidewall of the tire.

The Modern Spare tire is too large to fit either the frunk or the lower rear cargo storage bin of the Model Y.

Reactions: TwelveVoltMan
Ummmm......can't you just do that with the app?
This has motorized lift cylinders like the hatch back. So when I push the open button on the screen (or my phone app) the hood completely opens like the hatch. Push the button again and it completely closes and latches on it's own - no need to put your hands on the lid and push down. No more hand prints on the hood or the possibility of scratching, or worse, denting it if you get a little rough.

The current generation tire sealant would not damage the wheel or the tire but may damage the tire pressure monitor sensor. The sensor might have to be replaced. Discount Tire has a good reputation for repairing tires on Tesla vehicle with no BS. With Costco and other national chain automotive centers it is hit or miss. Some won't work on Tesla vehicles period. Some won't touch tires that have the foam liner. Universally tire repair centers hate repairing tires where sealant has been used as the cleanup is a PITA and takes time. Reportedly some tire repair centers won't attempt to repair a tire where a previous repair has been applied to a puncture. This is probably for the tire repair shop's liability insurance. For the same reason most tire shops won't repair a tire if the puncture is anywhere close to the sidewall of the tire.

The Modern Spare tire is too large to fit either the frunk or the lower rear cargo storage bin of the Model Y.
thanks ! so where can the spare go ? Any room under the front trunk compartment it could be hidden away? I use my trunk area alot, would hate to have a big ass tire sitting back there all the time when I will prob never need it. Anyone got any solutions other than fix a flat ?

thanks ! so where can the spare go ? Any room under the front trunk compartment it could be hidden away? I use my trunk area alot, would hate to have a big ass tire sitting back there all the time when I will prob never need it. Anyone got any solutions other than fix a flat ?
The Modern spare is too large to fit in the lower compartment or the frunk. For a road trip just plan on carrying the spare tire in the cargo area. One forum member who has non-standard wheels and tires on their Model Y is considering using a tire carrier that goes on the tow hitch for longer trips.

Things that you can carry that don't take up much room:

12V tire inflator

Tire plug kit

Slime sealant (water based, Slime claims their product won't damage the TPMS sensor.)

Scissor jack (compact, can be used in an emergency to jack up the Model Y so you can remove a wheel and repair a flat tire.) There is an eBay seller who offers an adapter for the common split top scissor jack that fits the Tesla lift point. There are sellers on Amazon that offer an adapter so you can use a cordless drill with the scissor jack. Traveling with a cordless drill and a few drill bits makes sense as you can use the drill to ream out a puncture hole much easier than using reaming the tool that comes in the tire plug kits.

Breaker bar / ratchet wrench, half inch, 21mm socket or deep socket.

Torque wrench, half inch, to torque the lug nuts to the specified 129 ft lbs. (You can probably leave the torque wrench at home for final tightening of the lug nuts when you have time.)

Last edited:
Reactions: a2t2
Awesome info thanks. Wonder if someone makes a donut spare that would fit the lug pattern and clear the brake rotor/caliper and also easy to store somewhere hidden.. I really don’t want to become the tire repair guy on the side of the road trying to plug a tire in the dark ect .. has anyone gotten a flat on the 21” tires and will they run flat ok at low speed or would u just need to have it towed?

Awesome info thanks. Wonder if someone makes a donut spare that would fit the lug pattern and clear the brake rotor/caliper and also easy to store somewhere hidden.. I really don’t want to become the tire repair guy on the side of the road trying to plug a tire in the dark ect .. has anyone gotten a flat on the 21” tires and will they run flat ok at low speed or would u just need to have it towed?
No donut spare, the Modern spare is closest to a donut spare. If you get a flat with any tire you need to stop, repair the puncture or change the tire. Otherwise you will destroy the tire and the rim. Until someone makes a run flat tire that can be used on the Tesla Model Y those are the only options. From what I have learned, run flat tires are not without issues. Run flat tires are expensive, can have a harsh ride. Run flat tires are prone to sidewall failure when encountering a pothole.

The 12V inflator pump is probably the most useful tire accessory to carry in the vehicle. If you get a flat tire you will hopefully be able to put enough air into the tire, assuming the tire will hold the air, to drive the closest rest area or service station. Then you can determine whether the tire can be repaired or needs to be replaced.

Last edited: