TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

I-35 DesMoines to Kansas City - key SC install cancelled at Bethany MO

Discussion in 'Model S' started by DanL50, Jul 28, 2018.

1. DanL50

DanL50 Member

Tesla cancelled this planned SC installation. The transformer was already delivered, the project permitted, etc.
    I know there are plenty of places that could use additional SC's, but this one is critical to winter travel along this major N/S route.
    Tesla must be under a lot of $ pressure to have cancelled this one so late in the install process. Any other key cancellations? Now considering a CHAdeMO.
    Story at Bethany, MO Supercharger

2. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Active Member

That is kinda scary. Enough analysts have written about the tesla cash situation being critical... And musk says all is well no cash issues. So many actions speak otherwise. August 1st is going to be interesting.

3. funcc

funcc New Member

You have to really plan out your Mid-West trips as the number of SCs are scarce compared to other parts of the country. I-35 North from KC is one problem. I-55 South from St Louis is another. The Sikeston SC is just too far from St Louis. The recently opened SC in St Louis's South County Center will now help a lot.

Getting a CHAdeMO was expensive, but I felt like I had to do it to travel in the Mid-West. Saved me a couple of times. I recommend getting one as a patch between the too far away SCs. I'm very jealous of the density of SCs in California :)

• Like x 1
  4. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Baseless speculation to claim it was due to Tesla needing to reduce expenses. How do you know it wasn’t related to a contract dispute with the site or some other reason? If it was to reduce expenses, more likely they would delay construction for a quarter, not cancel the site. Unless this is a widespread phenomenon I just don’t buy it.

• Disagree x 1
  5. DanL50

DanL50 Member

If you read the referenced thread above, Bethany, MO Supercharger ,the info that Tesla cancelled the installation comes directly from conversations with the Bethany City Administrator and the building inspector.
    The permits and easements were set and the transformer had been ordered (and may have already been delivered).
    And yes, rather than "must be", I should have said "perhaps" Tesla is under pressure to reduce expenses.

• Like x 1
  6. Beardco

Beardco Member

Did anyone consider the more classic and obvious reason: the local municipality demanded greenbacks or a cut of the revenue from the supercharger?

I guess that's not as exciting as claiming Tesla is out of cash.

7. swegman

swegman Active Member

Actually, the Administrator was reported as saying the easements were being finalized. In other words, it was not a done deal with respect to the easements. Until the easements are actually granted, Tesla can not legally run electrical lines, etc on the property. Thus it's pure speculation that Tesla canceled the project solely to save money. Any number of reasons could have arisen to prevent construction on the chosen site. Only time will tell what the reason was.

8. DanL50

DanL50 Member

Uncle.
    Relevant facts stated by city administrator in phone conversation: Tesla delayed twice, then cancelled; Tesla reimbursing Bethany for sunk cost of transformer; Bethany now looking to VW Trust for funds to install a non-Tesla charging station.

Tesla is the most wonderful company on Earth and Mars.

• Like x 1
  9. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Active Member

nice effort

10. DanL50

DanL50 Member

Bark...thanks.